Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-07-2020, 07:30 PM   #1
37 Cab

Default Mitchell overdirve in a 37

Got my Mitchell project underway in my 37 Cabriolet. My car is lowered so floor will need modification. That is Ok though since the front part of my floor was done way back before you could buy floor pans. (sheet metal floors in front) For me, my car is a driver and the floor mod will be worth the end result. On another note.. The Cabriolet rear floor mat is not available aftermarket. My car has one that fits very well. It won`t fit anymore so I will use it to make a pattern for a new mat that fits the modified floor. If anyone needs a pattern for a rear mat let me know.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:39 PM   #2
40cpe

Default Re: Mitchell overdirve in a 37

I would be interested in which ratio you chose, your rear end ratio, and your opinion of the gearing when you have given it a test.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:49 PM   #3
uncle max

'37 Tudor, 258" 8BA, '39 trans, 3:78 rear, Mitchell "36%" overdrive (w/floor shifter), 235/75-15 tires. No cutting floor necessary. Effectively, SIX forward gears and two reverse... If you're inclined to go 45 mph in reverse... Easy shifting and the Mitchell doesn't care what speed you're going; great for cornering, passing and highway cruising. Best thing I ever did to this car. I can actually leave town!
uncle max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:07 AM   #4
37 Cab

I am thinking the floor in the Cabriolet is different. Steve Mitchell said I would not have to cut floor but when I described where the drop down for the rear passenger feet area was he said it was like a 36. Looking at it though it makes sense. If it had a trunk instead of a rumble seat the floor would have been flat where mine drops down.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:10 AM   #5
37 Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle max View Post
'37 Tudor, 258" 8BA, '39 trans, 3:78 rear, Mitchell "36%" overdrive (w/floor shifter), 235/75-15 tires. No cutting floor necessary. Effectively, SIX forward gears and two reverse... If you're inclined to go 45 mph in reverse... Easy shifting and the Mitchell doesn't care what speed you're going; great for cornering, passing and highway cruising. Best thing I ever did to this car. I can actually leave town!
How much HP does your engine make? I have the stock 221 and 4.11 gears. I can`t or won`t drive the car until this latest storm passes but I am hopeful it will do fine with the 36%.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:24 PM   #6
37 Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle max View Post
What did you do about the linkage at the trans? With the bracket on the clam shell the shift lever is too long and the rod is on the frame. It would take a hole in the center frame bracing to get the rod low enough and I won`t do that. Bend the rod maybe?
Old 01-11-2020, 01:56 PM   #7
37 Cab

Nevermind.. A bend to the end of the linkage and it fits fine.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:47 PM   #8
supereal

For my Ryan overdrive, I substituted a power takeoff cable for the floor lever supplied No cutting etc, My car has the usual 3:78 rear axle, and I picked a 3-1 reduction. Fine on the highway, but too tall for town. I can run on the highway as fast as I feel safe. Adding an overdrive requires top condition steering and brakes, plus a very visible third stoplight.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:45 PM   #9
37 Cab

My car is a Cabriolet so the drop in the floor for the rear passenger footwell is about 4 inches in front of the pinion. Anything in the torque tube that makes it bigger requires floor modification. As far as the cable shift goes.... To each his own. I prefer the shift lever. My car has 4.11 gears so it should be fine. First drive tomorrow.