Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-28-2020, 07:30 PM   #21
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: 33 Tranny to Driveshaft Oil Leak

I just read that you thought the oil was coming from the rear. Just to walk backwards a bit, the very first picture you showed was of the back of the transmission - with a column of gear oil running down below the main output shaft. If THIS is the oil that you're seeing, it probably didn't come from the rear - as oil coming from the rear would most likely leak out of the clamshells and would not get up and into and past the round plate that is on the back of the trans (what "receives" the front of the torque tube).

Keep in mind, the plate on the back of the tranny is sealed with a gasket and only has a hole in it a bit bigger than the driveshaft. I don't see how the rear gear lube would get up, over and into that area.

Depending on WHERE the drip was coming from, you'll have a better idea as to the source (trans or rear). From the picture, sure looks like the trans to me.

So, before you start worrying all about the rear, and the TT angle - take a bit more time to truly figure out where the lube is coming from.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote