Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-02-2017, 09:41 AM   #41
Jeff/Illinois

Default Re: Not showing our cars anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
I used to go to many car show each year with my Model A. However, due several occasions of rude spectators and damage to my A, I no longer participate in any of them. I do not find it enjoyable to not be able to leave my truck unattended.
Same root- cause reasons that many have left the old car forums.

Not what it was even five years ago. Rude and nasty people have made the great ones, the late great ones. I sure miss their expertise.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:46 AM   #42
rosenkranswa

I'm always amazed when I read responses to these kind of questions. I must live in an alternate reality because I go to 3-4 shows a year with 300+ cars there and have yet to meet a rude person, child or adult, or people that aren't genuinely interested in the cars. I do select shows that are benefits for some cause I favor, usually in the $12-$15 range. I do see fewer and fewer prewar cars generally, and the shows I go to usually offer some kind of inducement for prewar cars. If I bring the '42 Jeep I'm generally the only military vehicle there, but I see most people turn to face the flag hand over heart for the anthem. I usually dress for the era, and tend to actively talk to people by the car, in fact I now have a young person (HS Junior) that comes occasionally and who can hold forth pretty well on the history and technology, something my daughter used to do before she moved out of state.

I had four cars at a local Elementary School last week for a program with 100 5th graders - all very well behaved, and excited to see and hear about the cars. I think I may well have generated a potential old car buff or two.

'19 T Speedster
'26 T Touring
'29 A Roadster
'30 AA Stakebed
'30 A Pickup
'30 A Town Sedan
'31 A Station Wagon
'38 Columbia Girls bike (WWII)
'40 Elgin Boys bike (WWII)
'42 Super Deluxe Tudor
'42 Willys MB Jeep
'43 Willys MBT Trailer
'43 M3A4 Hand Cart
'43 Harley Davidson 42WLA with sidecar
rosenkranswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:49 AM   #43
barkleydave

Some folks like to show their A's other some like tours. A large number sit!

Facts:
Model A membership is MARC/MAFCA is dropping

In our local region there are approx. 35 members and some very nice cars!
We are lucky to get 6-8 of them out for an event or show.

Lots of beautiful cars restored 20 years ago and now the owners are unable to get out and they sit.

Those 6-8 cars are pretty much the same core group that enjoys touring and can still get out and go.

Clubs need to continue to promote our Regions and Chapters and target folks in their 50s+ that have thier health and the $ to own and enjoy them.

Youth promotions are great but lets face it... most of us did not get into the hobby until our children were grown and on their own and had more discretionary income.
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:49 AM   #44
H. L. Chauvin

All above varying "different" opinions are no doubt true, "different" experiences of Model A owners.

If one travels a lot today, as opposed to traveling years ago, one quickly realizes that human behavior in "different" States vary, "different" cities vary, as well as areas vary, hotels vary, hospitals vary, all depending on "where" one visits.

One simple test would be to think about tying one's Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppy to a park bench, walk back and watch what happens to this puppy in "different" areas of the U.S.

In some areas, most folks will stop to pet & hug the puppy.

In other areas, most will totally ignore the puppy.

In some areas, most will kick the puppy out of the way.

And in many areas, this puppy will be picked up by most and stolen.

After thinking about similar situations, and watching today's news, it becomes obvious that dogs and Model A's will usually get about type of "different" treatment in "different" areas.

Moral of the story could be that if one likes to show one's Model A, just find a "different" neighborhood that respects and loves cute little puppies ...... many "different" outer areas like this are still out there.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 10-02-2017 at 10:56 AM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:06 AM   #45
JBill

Years ago, parade sponsors and show sponsors used to pay our club a per-car fee for appearing. That ended a long time ago, and of course now most shows charge you an entry fee, even though it's the presence of these collector cars that encourages attendance. I still go to some, but not as often.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:54 PM   #46
rosenkranswa

I think Mr. Chauvin is on to something, attitudes vary by geographic area sometimes significantly. Another aspect seems important too; My family and I do quite a bit of WWII living history and after many years of being part of airshows, vehicle shows, commemoratives, etc. we all noticed one thing - if there's a charge for people to attend the show, there's much better behavior. I've had this confirmed by aircrew as well who fly the warbirds in. Entrance fees mean people really want to be there and act accordingly. If there's no fee, Bubba and his 6 kids show up because it sounds like a cool day out for free where Bubba can show off. I tested this theory out a bit this year and discovered the shows I usually attend do charge a spectator fee. Both factors are probably operating.

'19 T Speedster
'26 T Touring
'29 A Roadster
'30 AA Stakebed
'30 A Pickup
'30 A Town Sedan
'31 A Station Wagon
'38 Columbia Girls bike (WWII)
'40 Elgin Boys bike (WWII)
'42 Super Deluxe Tudor
'42 Willys MB Jeep
'43 Willys MBT Trailer
'43 M3A4 Hand Cart
'43 Harley Davidson 42WLA with sidecar
rosenkranswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:22 PM   #47
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Wayne,

In reply # 46 above, you are also hitting the nail on the head with a "different", very modern magical word: FREE.

At our military installation, every Christmas for over 25 years years we used to seek small toy donations from local department stores for toys to pass out to less fortunate children and to pass out to invited children from foster homes. This Christmas event was always advertised in the local newspaper as FREE.

Can anyone imagine how as time went on, many parents of children were later complaining that their kid's particular FREE Christmas present was not as good as the rest of the FREE presents?

I mean, what part of "Wake Up" is not understood about the ruination of today's people's values and the appreciation for others who are constantly receiving FREE stuff?
-----------------------------------------------------------
Also, might add:

At the next Model A car show, provide a large sign reading:

"FREE Model A Car Show with FREE Lunch"

Now, compare the final results of this sign when located in "different" neighborhoods, and guess who might be coming FREE, to see and visit your newly upholstered and newly painted Model A with their FREE food.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 10-02-2017 at 01:41 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:07 PM   #48
Lona

Just to clarify, the four show categories I listed are for those who exhibit cars and not for the general public who attend. I have never seen shows where free food is given to attendees.

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:40 PM   #49
denis4x4

Perhaps some of the Debbie Downers can explain to the rest of us how a car show promoter (non profit or otherwise) pays for permits, insurance, the venue, advertising/PR, trophies, plaques, security and host of other expenses. For those of you into tours, events like the hot rod hill climb, Speedster Reunion and FAST events all charge an entry fee that is far more than a car show. Finally, I've been entering car shows all over the west since 1958 and I've yet to run into unruley kids. Perhaps Ryan can start a new sticky listing events that allow rotten kids to attend.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:40 PM   #50
Hoop

"I have never seen shows where free food is given to attendees."

Well, it would be shocking, BUT ... there is such an event.

They feed EVERYONE, car owners and spectators. Spectators attend FREE. Car owners pay a registration fee but get gifts, t-shirts, trophies and raffle tickets on a crate engine. No limit on the food with announcements to "eat all you want."

Here's my earlier post:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ght=fruit+cove
Old 10-02-2017, 03:07 PM   #51
latecomer

After reading all these posts i feel more then ever that having our own model A&T meet every year at Beardslys cider mill in may is a very good thing. You see so many guys and gals talking about our beloved hobby with no other distractions.
latecomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:25 PM   #52
Lona

Hoop,

Amazing to have a free show that feeds everybody! I would not have believed it if I hadn't read your original thread.

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:45 PM   #53
Clem Clement

We had a great show last Saturday. I was/am too sick to participate. I try hard to make this show. To my knowledge only one Model A attended and an overall low attendance as well. We'll see about Rockville. At Fairfax station is is very difficult to keep people off the cars. I asked a lady why she was removing the do not touch signs: So my kids can climb in for photos: did not happen.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:58 PM   #54
todd3131

I go to car shows once a month I park In spectator parking which always confuses the organizers. I look at all the other cars and leave after an hour I pick up my wife we head to a nice restaurant for lunch and watch a ball game or go to the group store and I Haven't wasted the day. I don't mind the ignorent people that is point of the show they get to see things they never knew about. The numbers one Reas is car shows are incredibly boring.
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:30 PM   #55
TerryO

[QUOTE"I have never seen shows where free food is given to attendees."

Well, it would be shocking, BUT ... there is such an event.][/QUOTE]

Also Peavine Baptist Church in Rock Spring, GA holds a car show every year the Sunday before the 4th of July. Everything is free for everyone and they always have a good turnout with fireworks after dark. No, I don't belong to this church but I might if I lived there.

TerryO
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:41 PM   #56
BILL WILLIAMSON

Sign in Minervas' 1/4 window: "YES, YOU CAN TOUCH MY CAR & IF YOU EVER MADE OUT IN A MODEL A, SIT IN IT & SEE IF YOU CAN REMEMBER HER NAME?"
Bill Funguy
Old 10-02-2017, 10:14 PM   #57
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
I only ever won 1 trophy, "BEST APPEARING CAR" with my '53 Studebaker.
It had a '36 Ford Coupe on it, LOWERED & with FENDER SKIRTS!! It fell & broke & the car was LOWERED even MORE!--I threw it away.
Bill W.
Owning a '53 Studebaker is all the trophy anyone could ever want or need.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1953 Champion Starliner 2.jpg (47.3 KB, 27 views)
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:25 AM   #58
waxhead

We have a car show this weekend with the money raised going to cancer research for children. Entry is $10. I will be taking my Model A pickup.
waxhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:43 PM   #59
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
Perhaps some of the Debbie Downers can explain to the rest of us how a car show promoter (non profit or otherwise) pays for permits, insurance, the venue, advertising/PR, trophies, plaques, security and host of other expenses.
OK - by the admission fee charged to the spectators who attend. Just like any concert. Our cars are the "draw" that spectators pay to see, and should not be charged for making the show possible by bringing their cars to the show. If there is not enough interest to make a car show profitable, then maybe it should not be held.

We can always plan gatherings that do not involve a show. We (the Fairfield County A's) planned a luncheon at the George Washington Inn. We invited four other western CT clubs to join us. Over 40 model A's showed up! It was a great day, and the only thing we paid for was our lunch.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:28 AM   #60
denis4x4

There are many car shows in small communities that are held on Main Street. The Durango Old Car Club has a show on Fathers Day benefiting Hospice of Mercy. There is no way that spectators can be charged to view these cars. There for, in order to make expenses and have funds to donate to the designated charities, there is an entry fee. Because this show also encourages people to shop down town, merchants are very supportive and provide prizes and stuff for goodie bags. And, there are Model A's on display at this show.

If you don't want to pay a car show entry fee because you think your car is the star, fine. However there is another side to the issue that should be viewed with an open mind.