Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-28-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
Mike in NRN IN

Thumbs up New Model A Engine - Update from Terry Burtz

I love receiving the update e-mails from Terry Burtz regarding the new Model A Engine he is creating from scratch.

With all the challenges he has been facing getting a good casting, it makes me really appreciate the millions of engines that Ford was able to create in the 4-5 years of Model A history.

I hope that Terry will have better luck with casting number 6.
Mike in NRN IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
Mike in NRN IN

Default Re: New Model A Engine - Update from Terry Burtz

This is the message from Terry Burtz.

I did not include the pictures.

Hello to All, 24 May 2011
Updates
As stated in the March 2011 update, I have committed to give a seminar at the MARC convention in San Diego (late June 2011), and my optimistic goal was to have a running engine by then. This will not happen, however I hope to have good castings to display.
In case someone gets this Email without seeing the article on the new Model A engine, the article can be found at: http://www.modelaengine.com
If anyone has a question, concern, comment, or suggestion, please let me know at [email protected], and I’ll do my best to resolve the issue.
Because several people have been added to the update list, and since I have not taken the time to reply, some of the words in this update and the attached picture of the crankshaft and connecting rods will be redundant.
Readers of this update need to understand that this effort is a 1 man operation and privately funded. Every change is being made from an engineering point of view of how things can be made better and cheaper while staying within the restraints of keeping the exterior as original and maintaining all interfaces for attaching parts as original.
Cylinder Block
Lodi Iron Works has cast 5 cylinder blocks. #1 had gating problems and the core assembly was known to be broken during mold closure. The revised gating worked on casting #2, but it had a broken core problem. Casting #3 also had a broken core problem. Cores and the core assembly for casting #4 were made to my verbal procedure and everything was good except for a shift of the water jacket core towards the ports. Attachment #1 is a jpeg image of cut apart casting #4 on the conference table at Lodi Iron Works. Cores and the core assembly for casting #5 were made mostly following a written procedure supplemented with my verbal help, and it was poured on May 20, 2011, with the mold being broken open on May 22, 2011.
The exterior of casting #5 looks great, and there is no evidence of core shift. However casting #5 is unusable because of venting problems. Casting #5 will be cut apart just like casting #4 to verify wall thickness. Attachment #2 is a jpeg image of casting #5 before cleaning. Attachment #3 is a jpeg image of casting #5 after cleaning.
Several technical meetings at Lodi Iron Works have occurred since the last update. Much is discussed at these meetings, including lesions learned on the last casting attempt, presentation of new tooling (gages) that will insure that cores are in the correct position during core assembly, changes that will reduce labor, and the implementation of a procedure to insure that previous errors are not repeated.
There was a technical meeting this morning at Lodi Iron Works. I have several action items to modify core boxes that will make stronger cores with less labor. Lodi Iron Works also has several action items including evaluation of a new core paste and to modify the procedure so that the venting problems found in casting #5 are not repeated.
Connecting Rod, Main Caps, and Crankshaft
Good castings of these parts were displayed at the Turlock swap meet and are ready for machining. Compared to the cylinder block, these parts are very simple.
The material that was used to cast these parts is Meehanite SP80 (80-55-06). Other uses for this material include suspension parts, and even off road front spindles where the stub axle is lowered to provide additional ground clearance.
Attachment #4 is a picture of the crankshaft, connecting rods, and main caps.
GD&T, Tolerances, Machining, and Surface Finishes
My plan is to have the cylinder block machined locally (Silicon Valley) and have the crankshaft and connecting rods machined by a machine shop that specializes in crankshafts and connecting rods. On the way to the MARC convention, I am planning on taking the crankshaft and connecting rod castings along with SolidWorks models for machining to Cunningham in Gardena, Carrillo in Irvine, Crower in San Diego, Marine Crankshaft Inc. in Santa Ana, and Scat in Redondo Beach to obtain estimates for machining. The above manufacturers are in the business of machining connecting rods and crankshafts and have the equipment and knowledge to machine quality parts.

Next Update
The next update will be in 2 months or sooner.
Terry Burtz, Campbell, Calif.
Mike in NRN IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
Dick So. Cal.

I am still looking forward to the seminar in San Diego. I have been following Terry's program for quite a while and would love to see first hand what he has done.

Hope to see some 'Barners' there, too.

Dick
Dick So. Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #4
Benson

Guys,

Here are the pictures ... I made them smaller so everyone can view them even on slow connections.

The reason for this is that in the email the pictures are 2MB each!

Sorry the rods and crank picture arrived as only small file so you can not enlarge it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crank and Rods.jpg (8.1 KB, 767 views)
File Type: jpg tn_IMG_0029.jpg (63.5 KB, 717 views)
File Type: jpg tn_IMG_0197.jpg (57.4 KB, 708 views)
File Type: jpg tn_IMG_0203.jpg (76.5 KB, 755 views)

Last edited by Benson; 05-29-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
JoeWay

Here's a larger version of the crank & rods photo.

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tn_DSCN0301.jpg (70.5 KB, 618 views)
JoeWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWay View Post
Here's a larger version of the crank & rods photo.

Joe
Joe, thanks for helping with us...'slow connections'!
What's amazing about Terry, is........he's a one man show! Always enjoyed his input on the ole barn. Hmm, guess he's busy as all heck with this project. Here's hopeing that I'm still able to enjoy his creation , by the time it comes available. We're pulling for you Terry. Keep up your great efforts!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
Chris Haynes

I still get excited when I see these pictures.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #8
Lorenzo

I come fairly late to this conversation, 'scuse me. I agree with all who admire what Terry is going for. It's hard to imagine why anyone would perceive his dream with disinterested skepticism, but there's them that do. The engine, looking exactly like an original, will be waaaaaaay stronger than Henry's. I am sure Henry would be the first to agree. Henry be sayin', "You remind me of me, boy," and offering up a handsome contract to Mr. Burtz for services to be rendered in the bright idea/determined to get it done department. The skepticism has gotta be Geezerness. Me, I'm only 68.5, so I don't sit around thinking good enough is good enough. Well, if you only drive your car a few hundred miles a year, a
parade clown, or whatever, I suppose you have a point. But Terry sees an engine that will buzz you anywhere for a hundred thousand plus miles, sans leaks, just as Japanese engineers have done (even though they were bigtime a-holes in 1943 when I was born). I do realize many of us here have no need of a 100K engine. Tempus fugit. But if Terry pulls this admirable trick off, I will get out there on the road, go everywhere, and start getting my money back.
Lorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:23 AM   #9
ctlikon0712

I just added my vote to this thread, very interesting! We're all pulling for you Terry!
Old 03-29-2012, 01:42 AM   #10
Chris Haynes

I understand that a few weeks ago Terry got an acceptable block cast. Rumor has it that Jon Lavoy has it and is getting the machine work done to it.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #11
Jamie86

This would be a great to have, as another option. Hopefully, everything works out for all
concerned. I wish Terry all the best.
Jamie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #12
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie86 View Post
This would be a great to have, as another option. Hopefully, everything works out for all
concerned. I wish Terry all the best.
Nope, no workable block yet!
Just got latest email today, and their working on casting # 10, I believe it said. Go Terry !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #13
Pilotdave

Like many I am following Terry's project with much interest and want to offer encouragement as he works through the design and build issues. I'm really impressed when I think about what he's doing - essentially, he's undertaken a pioneering effort because he can and because he want to. I wish him and those working with him the best as they push ahead.
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #14
1930artdeco

Just imagine how many castings that Henry went through! And he had a full foundry at his disposal. When Terry gets this engine done, this will be my next engine-many, many years down the road.

Mike
Old 04-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #15
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post
When Terry gets this engine done, this will be my next engine-many, many years down the road.

Mike

It will be my next engine as soon as one is available.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:09 AM   #16
Terry, NJ

It was just a matter of time (and old unreliable cast iron!) The chinese were casting new ford 8N. 9N blocks ten years ago. They were selling NEW engines for under $2500. through Valu-bilt.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #17
Chris Haynes

Any news on Terry's project?
Old 10-28-2012, 01:26 AM   #18
dumb person

Yes i would like to hear more. And if they make reproduction gearboxes some day too...
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:22 AM   #19
t-head

What Terry is trying to do is very difficult as most foundries do not have the knowledge of how to pore a complex casting like this. I wish him well.

Having worked with a pattern maker and a foundry and having successfully cast and machined new blocks for a 1915 Duesenberg racing car and a 1913 Packard, I know first hand how hard this is to do.

Does anyone have any recent news about the effort??
t-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:56 AM   #20
anteek

It's sacriligous,but a firm in china or taiwan could do the casting properly. Tell them you will pay for it done right with whatever alloy and tolerances he wants. makes me cry but the have their s--t together like we don't,more modern equipment and the firing squad. A real sad state of affairs for us. I want one also,in my lifetime.
anteek is offline   Reply With Quote