Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-10-2017, 09:35 AM   #1
fred93

Default 29 Tudor outside door handle question

The 29 Tudor that I am restoring has an outside door handle for the right side that the lock is either rusted and won't turn or I don't have the right key.

How can I tell if this handle is original or repo?

Can a locksmith make a new key without taking it apart?

And does anyone know how this unit comes apart?

Please see pix below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3630.jpg (37.4 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3631.jpg (55.5 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3632.jpg (49.4 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3633.jpg (39.2 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3634.jpg (53.7 KB, 75 views)
fred93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:22 PM   #2
jw hash

Default Re: 29 Tudor outside door handle question

you have an original handle. the tumbler in it is partially turned so that tells me it might junk. the handle itself looks to be good. if only the tumbler is bad, I would clamp it up in a drill press and drill out the tumbler. once you drill it out too 3/8" down inside there is a little spring keeper remove it and the rest of the tumbler will come out. if someone has another tumbler with key you just push it right in with a little twist and you are up and running. that tumbler was used 28 to mid 30
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:31 PM   #3
john charlton

The handle is original stainless so most likely off a 30/31 car . You have the key code on the shank looks like 1094 you can obtain a key . Soak the handle in solvent for a while and try the key . The Barners here will tell you where to get one or get two one for a spare !!! . Dont drill anything out until the last resort .

John in same grotty weather Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:45 PM   #4
mike657894

My handles are original(fordor). My car has been garaged its whole life(I think). And my handles look 85 years old. no rust but the chome looks terrible its all pimpley and dull and looks 85. Also not sure if its a Briggs thing or fordor thing. But there is a key cylinder below the handle not in it.

edit: i read the other responses and stainless wouldn't wear like my pot metal cast handles have. but pb blaster or wd or oil or anitseeze in the lock could free it.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:10 PM   #5
wrndln

I think your handle are original 28/29, as the contact part to the door is just slightly curved, not curved as much as a 30/31. Your handle is nickel plated brass clad. I had Dick Crabtree restore a pair of mine. He is a magician with door handles including the keying. What ever you do, don't toss it. It can probably be restored to like new.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:21 PM   #6
jw hash

not all 29 handles are nickle plated brass, some are stainless, some are even half nickle plated and half stainless. I have restored a lot of them. and yes there is a key cut code on the shaft but the tumbler is turned which mean something is not correct.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:40 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

Keep WD-40 away from pot metal, like your handle lock. It can make it swell.
If you get the correct key cut from A&L or someone else, and it still doesn't work, then I'd send it to Dick Crabtree.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:43 PM   #8
Big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by john charlton View Post
The handle is original stainless so most likely off a 30/31 car . You have the key code on the shank looks like 1094 you can obtain a key . Soak the handle in solvent for a while and try the key . The Barners here will tell you where to get one or get two one for a spare !!! . Dont drill anything out until the last resort .

John in same grotty weather Suffolk County England .
John, thanks for the key code location!
Old 09-11-2017, 10:22 AM   #9
fred93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Keep WD-40 away from pot metal, like your handle lock. It can make it swell.
If you get the correct key cut from A&L or someone else, and it still doesn't work, then I'd send it to Dick Crabtree.
I don't know A&L ??? Please advise. Thanks
Old 09-11-2017, 05:47 PM   #10
fred93

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
I think your handle are original 28/29, as the contact part to the door is just slightly curved, not curved as much as a 30/31. Your handle is nickel plated brass clad. I had Dick Crabtree restore a pair of mine. He is a magician with door handles including the keying. What ever you do, don't toss it. It can probably be restored to like new.
Rusty Nelson
The chrome on the handle looks to me like it has been replated at one time. If it was replated they may have done the replate with the lock still in place???

Can the lock assembly be removed from the handle without a problem?
Old 09-11-2017, 08:52 PM   #11
Bill G

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred93 View Post
Can the lock assembly be removed from the handle without a problem?
If the lock is partially "unlocked" and the tumblers are in the position for turning the lock body, it would seem that you could. Normally a lock that is in the locked position needs to be first unlocked with its key or picked in order to remove it from the outer shell.

Seems that with the key code and the lock itself a locksmith can make up a key easy enough, but if you are having trouble getting it apart, then you could take the whole thing into a locksmith and they could get it open. One thing I don't know (lack of experience) is if the standard door lock fits a standard key available these days. My assumption would be yes, but I certainly don't know.

I am interested in this because for my '29 Tudor, I have a door handle with a lock but no key. My ignition lock is a modern aftermarket switch, and not even one of the pop-out look alike deals. I was able to get new copies of the ignition key made at Home Depot because it takes a standard key blank. I would have to take my handle into HD to see if they have a blank that fits, and I just might do that some time soon. It is easy enough to take the handle off.

On the other hand, if someone else knows if the door lock is a standard key blank, I would be interested to know.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:06 AM   #12
Ed Wendell

Fred93,
A Model A lock with a code between A1051 & A1300 would be for a 1928-29 Door or Tire lock.
Your code of A1094 would use a "B1" key blank with a cut code of "33351".
Any good lock smith should have "B1" blanks and be able to cut you a key.
Don't let them charge you an arm and a leg. Grainger sells a bag of 25 "B1" blanks for around $7.00, thats .26 a key.

All else fails, then as stated above send it to Dick Crabtree.

Good luck,
Ed
Ed Wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:12 AM   #13
Tom Wesenberg

A&L is an excellent Model A parts maker and seller, but I'm away from home and don't have their address or phone number. A search here should turn it up.

BTW, I have a mint locking 29 Tudor handle, but it's too bad it was plated with the lock in place.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:28 PM   #14
big deuce

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw hash View Post
you have an original handle. the tumbler in it is partially turned so that tells me it might junk. the handle itself looks to be good. if only the tumbler is bad, I would clamp it up in a drill press and drill out the tumbler. once you drill it out too 3/8" down inside there is a little spring keeper remove it and the rest of the tumbler will come out. if someone has another tumbler with key you just push it right in with a little twist and you are up and running. that tumbler was used 28 to mid 30
Is "that tumbler" only good for door handles, or will it fit into a trunk handle? I have a early trunk handle that I believe the cylinder is shot and looking for other donor sources for a cylinder.
big deuce is online now   Reply With Quote