Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-02-2021, 01:13 AM   #41
Ol' Ron

Default Re: L-100 & 9" clutch

Maybe I don't explain it properly, but, basically the port is too small and Turbulent to pass enough Oxygen (20% of the air) to assist burning enough fuel to make the torque necessary to make much hP
I have a friend that is running a 294ci L-100 cam engine that makes 235 HP@ 4500 rpm on less than 5LBS of boost. It makes over 300ft/lbs of torque AT 3000rpm on 3 pounds of boost/ See what alittle will do for these ports???
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:31 PM   #42
Ol' Ron

Brian
Back in the 60's I built the engines for a sportsman stock car with a 258 max displacement, along with allot of other rules like stock size valves. This was to keep the cost down. after 8 years we had perfected the ' PERFECT CRANK ASSY. The lightest crank assy was the 38/41 91a and forged true pistons. we used Silverlight pistons The Jahnns were made from Lead. an Aluminum flywheel and pressure plate from Shafer. I don't think anyone makes an alum clutch any more. Thhis and 400jr cam was the ultmate powerplant for most of the cars.. I used a 33/34 " camel back intake hollowed out and a 2GC carb. The last 2 years befor the SBC engines replaced the flatheads I switched to a Sig Eroson D410 cam which had better power in the mid range. This cam is nonger available. I have on if someone wants to copy it Much better than the L-100 or 400jr. This little enging could really pull for its size. I built a similar engine for the Hydroplane "Baby Ruth" the boat ran in the 60 mph range.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:42 AM   #43
Yoyodyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Maybe I don't explain it properly, but, basically the port is too small and Turbulent to pass enough Oxygen (20% of the air) to assist burning enough fuel to make the torque necessary to make much hP
I have a friend that is running a 294ci L-100 cam engine that makes 235 HP@ 4500 rpm on less than 5LBS of boost. It makes over 300ft/lbs of torque AT 3000rpm on 3 pounds of boost/ See what alittle will do for these ports???
The port restriction is exactly what I'm pondering, - will it prevent an L100 from revving high enough in a 221 to perform to it's max. I was thinking if they will feed a larger motor at lower RPM they should feed a smaller motor at high RPM, but yes it's not always that simple.

And there no chance of boost in this application.
Yoyodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 11:57 AM   #44
Yoyodyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Yoyodyne, To try and answer your question, I think [my opinion], the limiting factor is breathing. I have tried an L100 in a 221...I'm not particularly impressed with it. Sorry Tony!
Thanks Brian, that experience is exactly what I hoped to see when I asked.
Can you elaborate on "not impressed"? Not rev as high as expected, too lazy down low, too peaky, hard to tune the carbs, idle too high, etc?

Quote:
, but I tend to prefer developing the little 221 on account of its propensity to rev, on account of its smaller, lighter rotating/reciprocating assembly.

Gearing plays a big part in the equation too...generally, I've found using the standard 28 tooth cluster and a 3.78 ratio out back, is a good combination for all round street performance.
Exactly what I plan.
Quote:
So, how to build a sweet 221? main objective is to let it breathe! This involves the usual valve work, porting, multi carburation etc. Next is to raise the compression. Herein lies the old challenge of getting compression up without sacrificing breathing. Aim for 60cc volume in the chambers or less. Now, if you fit your desired L100 cam you'll find the valves in all probability hit the sparkplugs... the way to get maximum breathing through those convoluted passages is to raise the roof, BUT also narrow it...the chamber profile does not follow the head gasket contour. Do not relieve the block [obviously]
OK, how else do we improve the revvability of our favourite little engine? By lightening the flywheel/clutch assembly. Than get the whole kaboodle balanced.
I cannot tell you which cam to use...as previously said, I don't believe an L100 to be best choice....a stock 32 steel cam is pretty good [they have hotter timing, subsequently detuned by Ford in 35 with the introduction of the first 'fat Fords, which need more torque]. I find an Isky 88 to be a good upgrade. That's what I use. There are so many cam choices, it really becomes up to the builder of the engine, taking into account the application of the engine, and the mods done to it, to make a selection.
When I decided to stay smaller, I had Pete grind a 1007B, do you think that's a good choice? Looks like a have a press on gear L100 to sell.
I'm working on compression. I have repro aluminum 34 heads, was considering even doing some welding in the chambers to make them smaller while they are still new.
I'm planning on a lightened steel flywheel and 9" clutch, after removing the heavy ring I can mill the back to resemble an aluminum wheel, not certain of the finished weight yet but would be a compromise between an aluminum wheel and a normal steel wheel.
Yoyodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:02 PM   #45
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyodyne View Post
Thanks Brian, that experience is exactly what I hoped to see when I asked.
Can you elaborate on "not impressed"? Not rev as high as expected, too lazy down low, too peaky, hard to tune the carbs, idle too high, etc?

Exactly what I plan.When I decided to stay smaller, I had Pete grind a 1007B, do you think that's a good choice? Looks like a have a press on gear L100 to sell.
I'm working on compression. I have repro aluminum 34 heads, was considering even doing some welding in the chambers to make them smaller while they are still new.
I'm planning on a lightened steel flywheel and 9" clutch, after removing the heavy ring I can mill the back to resemble an aluminum wheel, not certain of the finished weight yet but would be a compromise between an aluminum wheel and a normal steel wheel.
Just be careful taking too much away from the flywheel. Someone here (Maybe Dale- AKA Bored & Stroked) had a tale of a lightened steel flywheel coming apart.

I believe B&S worked with RAM clutches and got a lightened steel flywheel made that has reliefs in the back like you are looking to do.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 12-04-2021 at 12:48 PM.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:17 PM   #46
Ol' Ron

Yes, the cast iron flywheel, if not properly balanced can be a time Boom. The early 9" flywkeels had a large lip on them which we vut off in a lathe. re drilled for the 10" clutch and off we went. Most of the time we got away with this. However on one ocasion the flywheel came apart, fortunately the force went down driving several large pieces into the track. If you make any modifications to the flywheel, which I don't recommend,have it rebalanced. For streeet the heavy flywheel is bettr anyway.
Gramps