Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-19-2022, 07:35 PM   #1
Lawson Cox

Default Need H10 coke bottle plugs. Got ANY

I will need 8 but if I can just get 'em one at a time that'll work too. All leads appreciated. Lawson

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:19 PM   #2
tomcarman

Default Re: Need H10 coke bottle plugs. Got ANY

Can someone post a pic of what these look like? I did an internet search but I'm not satisfied with the results. I found some discussion about them but no satisfactory pictures. I'm going to dig through the stuff and see if I might have some. From the discussions I read they are rare enough and yowsa expensive? I'd like to help Lawson if I can. Thanks,
Tom
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:24 PM   #3
petehoovie

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 01-19-2022 at 10:30 PM.
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:29 PM   #4
tomcarman

Thanks Pete! Perfect. I'll go dig around through the stuff and see if I have any. I seem to remember seeing some plugs at one point unless I'm imagining things. In all that stuff it wouldn't surprise me to find some now that I know what to look for.
Tom
Old 01-19-2022, 10:53 PM   #5
deuce_roadster

Tom, the top picture is what you are looking for, the plugs in the cool yellow display are 2 piece, and have 2 ribs but are eariler plugs for like 33-35 or 6. I bought a NOS set of the 2 rib H10s at Hershey for my wagon and they weren't cheap or inexpenive! I don't think they take points off for the 5 rib H10s now and Lawson could use them as they are easy to find and he could blacken the bases.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:04 PM   #6
tomcarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
Tom, the top picture is what you are looking for, the plugs in the cool yellow display are 2 piece, and have 2 ribs but are eariler plugs for like 33-35 or 6. I bought a NOS set of the 2 rib H10s at Hershey for my wagon and they weren't cheap or inexpenive! I don't think they take points off for the 5 rib H10s now and Lawson could use them as they are easy to find and he could blacken the bases.
If I don't see any on the shelves there is a couple other places to look in the storage cabinets but I'd have to get the 3W outside to get to them. Depends on if it's raining or not tomorrow. Any bets on the weather? I know where I'd put my money. HAHA!
Old 01-20-2022, 09:09 AM   #7
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
They (judges) should be deducting one point for every incorrect plug.
Old 01-20-2022, 09:13 AM   #8
Kube

Here's a photo of the correct plugs.

During my research, I was unable to determine whether or not FORD (block lettered) plugs were factory installed or were later service parts. There are lots of theories out there but no documentation one way or the other.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spark plugs.jpg (28.4 KB, 74 views)
Old 01-20-2022, 09:16 AM   #9
Bored&Stroked

The fact that judges take off points for consumable items like spark plugs has always seemed ridiculous to me. Hell, why not require original points, original brake shoes, original tires, Henry air in the tires, etc..

Sometimes we empower folks to a higher degree than makes sense (at least to me).

Okay - enough out of me, back to my gallon of coffee!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:30 AM   #10
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
The fact that judges take off points for consumable items like spark plugs has always seemed ridiculous to me. Hell, why not require original points, original brake shoes, original tires, Henry air in the tires, etc..

Sometimes we empower folks to a higher degree than makes sense (at least to me).

Agree 100%. I do appreciate the fines details to get a car to that level, but if means spending $300 to buy a set of $20 equivalent spark plugs in order to not get points deducted, doesn't make much sense to me.

Maybe that's why I'll never have a car at the high level or I'm just a cheap SOB and in the minority. Haha.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:31 AM   #11
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post

On the concourse, the rules are very clear. The cars are to be restored to a condition "as they left the factory".
That's the "game".
Old 01-20-2022, 11:37 AM   #12
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Agree 100%. I do appreciate the fines details to get a car to that level, but if means spending $300 to buy a set of $20 equivalent spark plugs in order to not get points deducted, doesn't make much sense to me.

Maybe that's why I'll never have a car at the high level or I'm just a cheap SOB and in the minority. Haha.
$300 for a set of correct plugs? Is it 1980? Think more like $750.

You deciding to not show at that "high level" is understandable. You most likely have a healthier attitude towards these old cars than I. The concourse is certainly not for everyone.

My wife shows dressage at a very high level. As you might surmise, it takes a LOT of practice, discipline and yes, a lot of money. Another hobby (at that level) that is not for everyone.
Do I understand it? Not completely. However, I do admire and respect her for her discipline.

Like me with regard to my high point restorations, we understand and respect each other.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:57 AM   #13
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
$300 for a set of correct plugs? Is it 1980? Think more like $750.

You deciding to not show at that "high level" is understandable. You most likely have a healthier attitude towards these old cars than I. The concourse is certainly not for everyone.

My wife shows dressage at a very high level. As you might surmise, it takes a LOT of practice, discipline and yes, a lot of money. Another hobby (at that level) that is not for everyone.
Do I understand it? Not completely. However, I do admire and respect her for her discipline.

Like me with regard to my high point restorations, we understand and respect each other.
Haha. I guess I need to bump up my asking price for a set of plugs I've been try to sell at Hershey for years. I just looked at the box last night and I have $150 on them. A lot of lookers, but no takers. I'm going to put them away for a later date since you never know if I'll need them.

I totally appreciate the dedication and work it takes to get cars, antique boats, horses, etc. to that high of a level. I love looking at them and can only imagine what it takes to get there.

Maybe one day I'll flip the switch and want to do something to that level, but I'm a hot rodder at heart, so some of my ideas and thoughts don't jive with the fully stock, high point restoration crowd. Different strokes as they say...
Old 01-20-2022, 12:23 PM   #14
tubman

There are guys that like Hot Rods and guys that like Concourse Restorations. These are two very different facets of the hobby. If you want to play in the other guys game, you better be prepared to play by his rules. And no complaining.

We're lucky that this forum allows us to advocate for both.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 12:42 PM   #15
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
There are guys that like Hot Rods and guys that like Concourse Restorations. These are two very different facets of the hobby. If you want to play in the other guys game, you better be prepared to play by his rules. And no complaining.

Word...
Old 01-20-2022, 03:05 PM   #16
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Haha. I guess I need to bump up my asking price for a set of plugs I've been try to sell at Hershey for years. I just looked at the box last night and I have $150 on them. A lot of lookers, but no takers. I'm going to put them away for a later date since you never know if I'll need them.

I totally appreciate the dedication and work it takes to get cars, antique boats, horses, etc. to that high of a level. I love looking at them and can only imagine what it takes to get there.

Maybe one day I'll flip the switch and want to do something to that level, but I'm a hot rodder at heart, so some of my ideas and thoughts don't jive with the fully stock, high point restoration crowd. Different strokes as they say...
$150? A full set? New? TWO rib or five? If they are five rib, they are worth about $30. If they are two, I'll take em
Old 01-20-2022, 03:06 PM   #17
Kube

Quote:

Well said my friend, well said...
Old 01-20-2022, 03:29 PM   #18
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
$150? A full set? New? TWO rib or five? If they are five rib, they are worth about $30. If they are two, I'll take em
Two rib and new. A friend of mine gave them to me many moons ago when he was cleaning out his dad's garage.

This conversation jogged my memory and I went to look for them in my stash. Seeing the current going rate, I'm going to hold on them. You never know when I may need them.
Old 01-20-2022, 03:35 PM   #19
V8COOPMAN

Quote:

Damn! Quite the eloquent, yet spot-on description of two maladies that have unmistakenly festered among groups of "car guys" since the first Model "T"s began to look tattered and run less than perfectly. The idea that the two ideologies can and DO live together (like here on the 'Barn), as markedly pointed-out by tubman, Tim Ayers and I guess Kube too, is gonna make it a lot easier for me to go to sleep tonight with a smile on my face! Of course, it's been said millions of times that us hot rodders are responsible for saving thousands upon thousands of "junk" Ford bodies for the restorers to "have their way" with! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:14 PM   #20
tomcarman

Lawson,
Well I took a quick look in the garage today and this is what I found, not what you're looking for. There are other places to look but it will have to wait for better weather as there's so much junk in the way I'd need to empty crap outside to look and the rain continues on.
Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220120_134143.jpg (70.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20220120_134131.jpg (58.7 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg 20220120_134105.jpg (43.0 KB, 9 views)