Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-14-2014, 12:11 PM   #1
wings515

Default Model A Steering box adjustments

Hello,
This may sound strange but I have a 1939 Plymouth PT81 Pickup. It uses the same Gremmer steering box as the model A. I had an A and it struck me that it used the same box as Ford.
In any case, I have read and re-read the Ford instructions for adjusting the box without success. If I get the "center" adjusted so there is no slop then at the 2 o'clock position of the wheel it is bound tight. If I fix that, then there is an unacceptable slop when driving straight.
I have had the box out and in the vehicle too many times that my frustration level is at a point of 'give up'.
I noticed a suggestion of a complete re-build for $600. Does anyone know who does this and how to contact them.
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards,
wings515
wings515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:34 PM   #2
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Model A Steering box adjustments

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930 coupe View Post
Your sector and worm gear wears more in the center straight ahead part than the side turning parts. When you adjust the play out of the worn center section, it will get tight and bind at the less worn side turning sections. The only way to fix it is install new sector and worm gears. The new reproduction gears are not perfect and most people wind up with 1/2" to 1" steering wheel play in the straight ahead section, but that is OK and not noticeable when driving.
RIGHT ON! You need a little steering wheel slack, for your "hunting" movements, to compensate for road surface changes. Once, I adjusted Minerva to NO slack, & she'd DART like a JACKRABBIT
Bill W.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:09 PM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Model A Steering box adjustments

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Your parts are worn beyond adjustment. If you think about it most of the steering is done keeping the car in lane or changing lanes, very little steering wheel movement.