Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-24-2021, 09:03 AM   #1
rottenron36

Default Cartouche cardboard headliner for 36 pickup

I ordered my cartouche cardboard interior 6 years ago. It's time to install. The headliner instructions are vague. If anyone has installed one and has any tips or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Ron
rottenron36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:49 AM   #2
Ken hash

Default Re: Cartouche cardboard headliner for 36 pickup

Cartouche has a help line for installing there stuff. They have been very helpful in the past. Good luck
Ken hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:40 AM   #3
rottenron36

By the time i get the front cut to fit, the headliner might be worn out from going in and back out. I guess that happens when it is supposed to fit 35-39. Lots of little differences. Ron
rottenron36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:31 AM   #4
Hudat1

you are probably done by now . but cardboard headliners need to be supported in the center and then have the edges "pushed up " ( gently as not to crack be sure to dampen the card board first ) sometimes a prop in the center ( for me a cardboard tube works) and then mark and trim the edges as needed ( good lighting and a light pencil and some patience required )
Hudat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:26 AM   #5
Lawson Cox

I'd be MIGHTY skeptical about dampening the cardboard unless you can support the whole enchilada evenly. You may wind up with a wavy/bumpy mess.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:07 AM   #6
36and63

Ron,
I installed the Cartouche cardboard headliner they make in my 36 pickup. I ended up cutting the factory stitching and cutting pieces to fit and then re-stitched by hand back together to fit. My truck is a driver and I'm happy with the results. It was a lot of work but I figured I had nothing to lose since it didn't fit as received. The Cartouche door panels were no good at all and I was able to get LaBronn Bonny before they went out of business. There door panels were much better than the Cartouche.

Hope this helps you, my current project doesn't have any headliner (30 roadster) thankfully.

Pat
36and63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 04:00 PM   #7
nelsb01

I have not installed my headliner yet, but i purchased some poster board and cut some strips. I then taped them to the front (over the windshield) and made reference marks on the body where the headliner would be (when installed) and used an awl to punch the holes in the poster board that would be needed for the screws. I then did the same over both doors. My idea is to center the headliner, and brace it in position, and then use the marked poster board (after lining up with the reference marks) strips to help find the holes in the cab roof.
Like i said, haven't installed it yet -- but have been doing a lot of thinking on it. Only want to make one set of holes for the screws.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:51 PM   #8
TomT/Williamsburg

I thought of putting in a cardboard headliner in my not-so-stock 40 pickup but I went rogue instead ....

Just teasing - when installed nicely, the cardboard headliner really looks good. But here in Willyburg there is so much humidity I thought it would have sagged in no time. Hence my reason for not using it. Thank did not think about it at the time but I believe that if I would have insulated all the areas of the headliner that might have kept it from sagging ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BE421501-3EAE-4EE6-A438-26EBB9066252.jpg (25.4 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by TomT/Williamsburg; 04-02-2021 at 11:05 PM.
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote