Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-02-2015, 10:36 AM   #1
Mike Peters

Default 28, 29, Or Both?

Here in the frozen north, it's either work on Model A's or drink in the winter. I bought this 28-9 phaeton basket case last summer. The various body panels and doors have come from two or more different bodies, both 28 and 29. This gives me more choices as to what the finished product will become. So, should we go 28 or 29? How about a bit of both? I like the earlier back seat curtain pan, so I rivited an early pan to the second from the rear body cross member. The rear cross member appears to be original to the body sub frame, but there are NO mounting holes in the back cross member for the forged 28 tail light bracket. However, the rear fender has the three mounting holes for the tail light, so that would be the easiest way out. And on the final mismatch, you will notice on the last photo that the two passenger doors are very different in that the front is a 29 with outside door handle, but the rear has no hole for an outside handle, making it a 28 or very early 29. I originally planned to just blank out the hole in the front door for the earlier inside door handle, but this AM, I woke up with a diabolical plan. Why not leave it the way it is? One outside passenger handle and one inside passenger handle? I could say that this is a transition car. A friend of mine has a 30 town sedan with one eye brow front fender and one later style front fender. He tells people that this car was built on the day that Ford ran out of eye brow fenders. A bit of pro and con feed back from you guys would be welcome at this juncture? Go by the book, or create a conversation piece?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1130898.JPG (163.9 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg P1130899.JPG (179.1 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg P1130900.JPG (165.8 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg P1130901.JPG (162.1 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg P1130902.JPG (176.7 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg P1130903.JPG (154.6 KB, 103 views)
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:06 AM   #2
Fred
BANNED

Default Re: 28, 29, Or Both?

The guy with the fenders mixed can be correct, but in your case, Its one way or the other.. But they both have a lot of other things different from each other..I would stick with the one that you have the most correct parts for & build it as such..Not a mix & match car..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:15 AM   #3
Rowdy
BANNED

I agree with Fred. I went through a simular delima with the delivery. I had the makings for a complete March of 28 chassis and was debating putting the delivery body on it and finding early rear fenders to match. Then after some research I found that there was only a hand full of prototype deliveries made in 28 and that was not until November. Have since found almost everything correct for an April of 29 build. Much more correct and overall rewarding IMHO. Rod

Last edited by Rowdy; 01-02-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:18 AM   #4
Synchro909

Talking Re: 28, 29, Or Both?

Why not '28 one side and '29 the other? Could paint them different colours too.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:30 AM   #5
Skeezixx

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/2492
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:33 AM   #6
ronn

YOU SHOULD DO WHATEVER GIVES YOU THE MOST SATISFACTION

some guys on this board are into detail and others enjoy putting together from what they have and can find (me)

which category works best for you?
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:38 AM   #7
Purdy Swoft

People that know the difference will constantly point out the discrepancies. If you don't want to have to constantly explain why it isn't correct it will probably be best to do as Fred suggests in post # 2. If you are like me and really don't care about being politically correct go ahead and do it the way that you like . After all , its your model A !!!
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:44 AM   #8
FL&WVMIKE

Yes, do it your way. You can always be looking for the correct parts.
You can enjoy your "A", while looking. Some, might take a while.
It's your car. Have fun.
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:46 AM   #9
boomerusmc

I had the same conversation with myself when I brought mine home...late 28 Sport Coupe body (mostly) with 29 frame and 30 engine. I decided to stay as close to 28 as possible.
boomerusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:04 PM   #10
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerusmc View Post
I had the same conversation with myself when I brought mine home...late 28 Sport Coupe body (mostly) with 29 frame and 30 engine. I decided to stay as close to 28 as possible.
Just how late makes a BIG difference....It is also has a lot more parts that are out there to find Vs. the Early ones that are not..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:07 PM   #11
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Maybe you can do a trade with Bert's in Denver for the correct parts of the "A" of your choice...Maybe one for which you have the most parts for.

It is your car...do what you wish...but if it were me...well...you know me...Maybe.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:23 PM   #12
Bob C

Page 302 of the Service Bulletins tells how to install outside handles
on early phaetons and roadsters.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:02 PM   #13
Mike Peters

I agree with Fred. I went through a simular delima with the delivery. I had the makings for a complete March of 28 chassis and was debating putting the delivery body on it and finding early rear fenders to match. Then after some research I found that there was only a hand full of prototype deliveries made in 29 and that was not until November. Have since found almost everything correct for an April of 29 build. Much more correct and overall rewarding IMHO. Rod
_Rowdy: You meant to say that only a hand full of prototype delivery bodies were made in 28? You wrote 29.
Yes. You guys made me come to my senses! Thanks. The mismatched door handle joke will get stale fast. Outside door handles were introduced on open cars in Nov., 1928, but body mounted drum tail lamps persisted until Feb. 1929, at which time they were moved over to the left rear fender (right rear fender down under in Australia?). That means that a car with inside door handles and a fender mounted teacup tail lamp will be WAY wrong because outside door handles came into use before fender mounted tail lamps. Outside door handles would be the easiest way out of this, and Bob C's advice regarding converting inside to outside door handles is well taken. So a March or April Phaeton would be the most correct. Thanks to all!
Old 01-02-2015, 03:06 PM   #14
Mike Peters

The above post may be confusing because I am a disaster on the computer. The first half of the post is a reprint from Rowdy. I don't know how to do itallics. Sorry
mike
Old 01-02-2015, 03:42 PM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

Mike, just click on "QUOTE" in the blue box and the computor does it for you.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:35 PM   #16
mccsix

What does the frame vin say it is?

USN
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:35 PM   #17
Mike Peters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Mike, just click on "QUOTE" in the blue box and the computor does it for you.
OHHHHH!! Thanks tom. Always wondered how you guys did that.

As far as frame #, I bought the body without a chassis. The chassis shown on the photos is one I've had around for awhile, just sitting with nothing to do, so now it goes back to work. The frame # appears to be 298387, making it an early frame, and the front brake actuators are the early tapered type, but that is the end of early features. The main frame cross member which contains the service brake cross shaft has been converted to the later single piece cross shaft. The engine front cross member has no engine pan mounting holes and uses the later spring loaded yoke engine mount. It's not even a sawed off solid mount. Been switched out. The engine # has been restamped and is indecipherable. So we're just having some fun with this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1130905.JPG (165.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg P1130906.JPG (166.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg P1130909.JPG (156.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg P1130910.JPG (159.6 KB, 27 views)
Old 01-02-2015, 09:50 PM   #18
glenn in camino

My old late 28 roadster, now owned by my friend Chuck, had a plain door on one side and a handle the other.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:03 PM   #19
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
People that know the difference will constantly point out the discrepancies. If you don't want to have to constantly explain why it isn't correct it will probably be best to do as Fred suggests in post # 2. If you are like me and really don't care about being politically correct go ahead and do it the way that you like . After all , its your model A !!!
Amen my friend, there is room in this hobby for both groups.
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:47 PM   #20
SSsssteamer

Dear Mike, Now is the time to build your body correctly. Later it will be a lot more work to change those things to the way that they should have been done. Miked up model A body parts reminds me of a Johnny Cash Cadillac. Other wrongs like white wall tires, painted rims, grill guards, alternator, and etc can be changed out in minutes without much grief. Go for them if you like them because you can change those things around on a whim. Not so with door latches/handles and your present tail light choices.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:12 AM   #21
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

"A bit of pro and con feed back from you guys would be welcome at this juncture? Go by the book, or create a conversation piece?"

I would forget the year of the chassis and build the body as one year.

The "mismatch" in the chassis and body are not nearly as noticeable as differences in the years on the same body. While the build would be easier for use of the parts you have on hand, I feel the time and effort in making the body all the same year would be worth it if you are going to go through all the time to paint the car. It would also increase the dollar worth at such time as it is sold.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:35 AM   #22
JohnLaVoy

I had the same thing with my phaeton when I first restored it. I put the outside door handles on it because it seemed simpler to drill a couple of holes in the back door over filling a couple of holes in the front door. But the early doors don't have dovetails on them and you would need the correct latch pieces to make them all work. Brookville sells most of the parts and doors and fenders if you need to pick up some new stuff.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote