Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
old skool

Default dropping a Model A 4 inches

I am building a model A 1929 Ford roadster four banger hot rod. I am dropping the body 4 inches. I have a 4" drop axle for the front. If I "Z" the frame four inches in the back, will it mess with the rear axle (gears) or will I have to adjust the angle of the motor? I want to do my research before I start this project. Can I run the rear axle "as is" off the trans? Anybody done this before?

Thanks,
Marty
Old 02-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: dropping a Model A 4 inches

Greater number of answers can be had at the hot rod site HAMB.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
1931 flamingo

You may get an ans here but you'd probably be better over on the HAMB. Are you going to try to run the original rear end? Why are you Z'ing if channelling? If orig r/end and you don't Z you'll be all right. If you want to lower in the rear reverse the spring eyes and maybe take a couple leaves out. JMO
Paul in CT
Old 02-02-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
old skool

I am a member of the HAMB. I never get much feedback or smart remarks which are not helpful. The feedback I get on here is better and many people offer sound advice. I have seen some projects (in the past) that "Z" the frame using original Model A parts (some on the HAMB).

I am on a fixed budget and using what I have. I plan on running a original model A motor with the original axle. This is not my first car, but my skills aren't as good as many of you out there. I am stuck between two worlds (Don't fit on either site). I am not looking to go 100. Just want something fun to drive around town and learn something new along the way. I always like the early salt flat racers running a four banger motor.

If it is not a good idea, I am open to ideas.

My other car sits high, but I am also running 19" tires.

Anyone else like to throw in some advice?

Marty
Old 02-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
Jason in TX

You're going to catch a lot of flack asking this stuff on this board. This is for restoration only.

Don't Z the frame. Just put a Model T spring under the back and take out two leaves. That will drop you about 3.5 inches. Check this out... http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...pped&showall=1
Old 02-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #6
Kirby1374

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Model T rear spring. It dropped my Tudor about 3 1/2". The car in my avatar has that spring in the rear and a reversed eye front with leaves removed.

oops Jason beat me to it....

Last edited by Kirby1374; 02-02-2011 at 07:31 PM. Reason: slow typing
Old 02-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
old skool

I like the Model T spring idea. Less work too. Sounds good. Funny thing is when I asked some of these questions on the HAMB, they recommended this site. Thats how I found you all.

Thanks

Last edited by old skool; 02-02-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
youngrodder1929

yep id have to 3rd the motion on the t rear spring very inexpensive way to get 3 to 4 inchs of drop
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP8405.jpg (77.7 KB, 44 views)
Old 02-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #9
kenparker

I have the frame Z'd on the speedster and had to go to an open drive line to make it work.
BTW that is not me in the car. Substitute driver in the Hillclimb in June of last year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Logan in miss e.jpg (82.7 KB, 61 views)
Old 02-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #10
Chuck Sea/Tac

Default Excuse me;

I'm sorry, but I am so sick and tired of you self appointed thread monitors! The board appears to me to be about model A's in general, not just "restorations" or "we don't talk about modifications". For example: speedsters (a custom built A), V8 clutches, downdraft carbs, posi springs electronic ignitions and alternators, overhead conversions, and even a modern flathead engine, that is not an model A . So when someone asks a question you don't like, try just not answering it, instead of chastising him for asking on this board. It's obvious the info is here so why in the heck can't it be shared?
Well, I feel better now! Chuck
Old 02-02-2011, 11:10 PM   #11
Tim

There's a real easy formula for making one low. Here's what I find the easiest, but it's just my favorite.

reversed eye front spring, 4" axle and 5:50 or 4:50-16's up front will get you as low as you should want up front.

T Spring with reversed eyes or kinked ends for the rear with 6:50's or 7:50's for the hot rod rake.

Z'ing the frame in the rear will provide as much drop as you can stand and since you are already channeling the car really think through the drop and z in the rear as your comfort will really sacrifice if you miss it. Also if you are running a trunk or rear seat it'll really be narrow and useless.

Guys are right though youmight fair better on the HAMB.

Good luck,
Tim
Old 02-02-2011, 11:57 PM   #12
5window

Default Re: Excuse me;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
I'm sorry, but I am so sick and tired of you self appointed thread monitors! The board appears to me to be about model A's in general, not just "restorations" or "we don't talk about modifications". For example: speedsters (a custom built A), V8 clutches, downdraft carbs, posi springs electronic ignitions and alternators, overhead conversions, and even a modern flathead engine, that is not an model A . So when someone asks a question you don't like, try just not answering it, instead of chastising him for asking on this board. It's obvious the info is here so why in the heck can't it be shared?
A good answer. There is a point at which a car becomes a hotrod and belongs on the HAMB, but where that is may be a hard thing to judge. Strictly speaking, for the absolute purists, no restoration questions would ever be asked here. Model A's could mean preservations only-if it's not like Henry made it back then and it's not all original parts, then it's a modified car. After a bit, it gets silly. If you think a thread doesn't belong-don't reply or report it to the moderators and let them decide. There aren't many threads here where i don't learn something.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:41 AM   #13
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Excuse me;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
That is where you are wrong. The owner of the site when he reopened Ford barn stated that this site was for restoration and HAMB for modified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan 05-09-2010, 09:59 AM
We will stay focused on restoration over here. Hot rods and customs are for the hamb.