Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
springerpete

Default Fire extinguisher locations ?

I have a '29 roadster and am looking for a better place to keep/mount the fire extinguisher than in it's box on the floor of the rumble area. Kick panel under the front seat does not offer much protection tho' that works in my T roadster pu. Thoughts ?
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
lindy williams

Default Re: Fire extinguisher locations ?

Try on the floor up against the seat frame on the passenger side with a simple bracket.
lindy williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
BILL WILLIAMSON

In my coupes, it just lays in the package tray. Bill W.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
The Hot Rod Grille

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
In my coupes, it just lays in the package tray. Bill W.

Keep in mind that in the event of a crash, anything on the package tray can become an airborne missile. For safety sake it should be attached to a bracket that is securely mounted to the vehicle.

Jim
The Hot Rod Grille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
WTSHNN

I use old speaker magnets to hold a fire extinguisher against the seat riser between the gear shift and seat riser, is out of the way and doesn't interfere with leg room, I could of course just drill holes and use the mounting bracket.

-Tim
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hot Rod Grille View Post
Keep in mind that in the event of a crash, anything on the package tray can become an airborne missile. For safety sake it should be attached to a bracket that is securely mounted to the vehicle.

Jim
Thanks for the warning, Jim, the Dog says it might "KNOCK" some sense into me!! We all gamble, like which will come first, a CRASH or a FIRE! Bill W.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
1931 flamingo

Tudor sedan, mounted on RH cowl panel by the door, mounting bracket lines up with one of the screws. IF tilting passenger seat forward be careful as it may hit the extinguisher ! ! ! Looks neat and is handy.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
Kurt in NJ

I have a little leather sling that holds it , the seat keeps it in place, I had thought of punching a hole to hang over the pin that locates the seat bottom ----but it is working as is
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:34 PM   #9
Terry Longest

Thanks for the idea wtshnn. I will try that in my woodie.
Terry Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:48 AM   #10
springerpete

Thanks for your "thoughts" as I requested. I'll look things over again. I like the magnet idea. Bill
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:27 AM   #11
Bob-A

Thumbs up Re: Fire extinguisher locations ?

I wrap my extingusher up in a light hand towel then bunge cord it to the
emergency brake handle. Both my "A's" have the later right side handles.
They are right at my finger tips {easily pulled out of the towel} and not really that much in the way of a passenger. This also keeps the extingusher stored in the correct vertical position. I've been told that
if you don't keep them right side up. When you go to use the extingusher
all it will produce is the fire suppressant carrier and not the actual fire inhibitor. A year ago or so a guy here on the ..'Barn said he lost a
nice '56 T-Bird because he didn't store his extingusher properly.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #12
Napa Skip

I keep several dry-chemical (monoammonium phosphate) fire extinguishers scattered about, including a 2-1/2 lb 1A10BC in the kitchen, a 10 lb 3A40BC and a 15 lb 4A60BC in the garage, and a 5 lb 2A10BC in my 1930 coupe, either out of a well-developed sense of paranoia or – more likely – from having spent the better part of 22+ years going to sea on various and sundry submarines, where you probably couldn’t go more than a few feet without encountering fire extinguishers and other fire-fighting equipment (with good reason on the beat-to-heck boats, and I’m speaking of 594-class nuclear powered submarines, I was privileged to be stationed onboard in the 1960’s, 1970’s and early 1980’s).

Without getting into the “where to store it” issue (I keep mine on the package shelf, but some of the mounting locations discussed in this thread have caused me to reconsider this) I was intrigued by the “…if you don't keep them right side up, when you go to use the extinguisher all it will produce is the fire suppressant carrier and not the actual fire inhibitor…” statement. I just spent a few minutes reading the posted instructions on each extinguisher (manufactured variously by Amerex, Kidde and General) and found no such restrictions. Neither did I find any comment concerning vertical vs. horizontal mounting on Kidde’s web site. It seems to me – in this particularly litigious society – that were this a legitimate concern the manufacturers would so state, especially on those extinguishers equipped with a cradle-type mounting bracket.

Compaction of the dry chemical is a concern, at least judging by the periodic maintenance requirement for our shipboard ANSUL extinguishers. Although it’s been almost 30 years since I last went to sea on a submarine and got involved in such maintenance routines, I seem to recall that – in addition to the monthly visual check of the pressure and 5-year hydrostatic testing of the extinguisher container – periodically the dry-chemical extinguishers were required to be disassembled and the dry-chemical agitated to prevent eventual caking. But, this requirement might also just have been the consequence of the "if it's broken, log it in the Equipment Status Log; if it works, take it apart and find out why..." mentality sometimes prevalent in the submarine force.

Notwithstanding all that, it could be argued that the typical Model A (especially if driven on the marginally maintained secondary roads in Napa County) provides enough agitation that settling of the fire extinguisher dry chemical is unlikely. But as to any restriction against horizontal mounting, I haven’t found any. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can weigh in…
MARC of San Diego (1977-1978)
MAFCA (since 1978)
MARC (since 1977)
----------
Model A owners belong in their Model A’s; Model A’s belong on the road.
Napa Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #13
Brentwood Bob

Napa. This old Roofer learned from the guy who annually serviced all the dry chemical extinguishers for the 140 man shop i gave 20 years of my life to, that you surely will have seriously compacted and compromised extinguishers in any position when stored in an operating vehicle. A fully loaded asphalt tanker has similar ride characteristics to a model a ford. Therefore annual servicing is a good thing. Halon is an alternative.
I do the dry one. Either way you go an extinguisher when you need it beats the alternative. Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #14
Napa Skip

The above posts got me to thinking (always dangerous, though sometimes informative) so I emailed the local fire suppression system firm that takes care of fire extinguishers and such in our downtown office buildings, asking (a) whether there are any restrictions on horizontal mounting of pressurized dry chemical fire extinguishers and (b) how significant a problem compaction of the fire retardant chemical was in automotive-mounted units. Here is his response:

“Skip - I have been asked this question more times than I can count. First, there is no regulation banning Dry Chemical Fire Extinguishers from being mounted horizontally in a vehicle. Also, from what I have observed from servicing vehicle-mounted extinguishers, I do not believe it makes any difference in the rate of compaction whether the fire extinguisher was mounted vertically or horizontally. It will begin to compact regardless of its position simply due to vibration. The significance of the compaction may not be bad on a car that does not get driven much, but on a piece of equipment such as a backhoe, compaction will be excessive. What does make a difference though is how often they are maintained. We are required by state law to completely discharge and recondition the powder each year on any extinguisher placed on any type of vehicle just for this reason. This answer will probably not stop the debate, so my only advice is to have the vehicle extinguishers serviced regularly. I hope this helps.”
MARC of San Diego (1977-1978)
MAFCA (since 1978)
MARC (since 1977)
----------
Model A owners belong in their Model A’s; Model A’s belong on the road.
Napa Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #15
Brentwood Bob

yep. Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote