Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-15-2017, 07:45 AM   #41
Nosetime

Default Re: So far, so good on mystery engine

Tom, even with the main like that? Would I try to JB weld it or just put it back in? This is so different than modern bearing stuff I”m used to. I would think the crank would look worse. I will pull the rest apart this morning
Nosetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:54 AM   #42
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosetime View Post
Tom, even with the main like that? Would I try to JB weld it or just put it back in? This is so different than modern bearing stuff I”m used to. I would think the crank would look worse. I will pull the rest apart this morning
That's the front thrust which doesn't have much force against it. Check the upper half in the block, which looks good in the picture. If it's good, you're golden. I recently rebuilt a couple of Suzuki Sidekick engines from the '90's. They use only the upper half of the thrust from the factory and no wear problems.
Be careful about using JB Weld if you decide to glue that piece back in. JB Weld is thick and may make that thrust piece stick out too far. I'd suggest just holding it in place with a dab of grease, put it back together, and enjoy for many miles.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:24 AM   #43
Nosetime

Thanks 40, I did not sleep over this last night, and I am hopeful I can do just what you suggest! Tearing the rest down today, and hopefully the others look OK.
Greg
Old 11-15-2017, 02:09 PM   #44
100IH

Unless I missed something, all of the recomendations have said " OK so long as the clearance is good". So have you measured with micrometers or used plactigage or used aluminum foil measuring methods. Heck even notebook paper will give you an idea of what the clearance is. If you are unsure how, do an advanced search for threads on bearing clearance. By the way, I grew up near Long Beach many years ago and rode my bicycle many times to Ford Parts Obsolete on Willow to get parts for my A projects.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:29 AM   #45
Nosetime

Rod clearance is good, I am pulling the crank to clean and inspect and will reassemble to correct specs.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:27 AM   #46
Railcarmover
BANNED

Going to the machine shop is not the end of the world.Even if you are going to 'hobby drive' the car peace of mind is worth the expense.Do it once, do it right. I faced the same gamble pulling down an engine I've got for a build..the rods and mains checked out, now I'm waiting for a machinist's straight edge to check the deck...pass that and I can assemble.

Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote