Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-07-2017, 10:29 AM   #1
Dick Deegan

Default Passenger door lock - 1930 Town Sedan Deluxe

I need to change the door lock (separate from the door handle) on the passenger door of my 1930 Town Sedan Deluxe.

I have purchased a new lock from Bratton's. My question is:
- can I just pry out the old lock from the the outside of the door or
- do I have to remove the inside upholstery panel in order to access whatever holds the lock drum in?

Thanks

Dick
Dick Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:20 AM   #2
fundytides

Default Re: Passenger door lock - 1930 Town Sedan Deluxe

According to Bratton's catalog there is a set screw that holds the lock cylinder in so you may have to remove the upholstery panel unless you can see the set screw in the edge of the door. My car is a roadster so I am not familiar with the set up for the lock.
fundytides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:29 AM   #3
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Deegan View Post
I need to change the door lock (separate from the door handle) on the passenger door of my 1930 Town Sedan Deluxe.

I have purchased a new lock from Bratton's. My question is:
- can I just pry out the old lock from the the outside of the door or
- do I have to remove the inside upholstery panel in order to access whatever holds the lock drum in?

Thanks

Dick
Look on the side of the door by the dovetail, you will see a small hole with a "shaft" in it by the door lock area.. Inside is a tiny set screw, REMOVE IT...the door lock will slide out and you just reverse to put in the new one and the set screw. You probably will have to cut the shaft of the new door lock to the edge of inside of the door. just measure the old one and your fine. OH and no you don't have to remove the panel at all, It will take you about 10 min to do the entire thing...Ok maybe 15..LOL!!!
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:59 AM   #4
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW:

My original August 1930 Town Sedan came with the original separate door lock and original door lock key; however, the former owner reported this door lock did not rotate within the past 30 years.

About (8) years ago, after removing same per above reply #3, I noticed the lock was dated during later Model T production, (which I heard was normal), after I called Model A locksmith Mr. Dick Crabtree at (605) 487 7229.

He advised sending the lock to him and with his requested patience and time he got it to where it worked fine ..... it still works great.

While a Model A is sitting in an unobserved parking lot "today", (even for a short period) .......... without locked doors .......... don't be surprised to return and find people taking pictures of others sitting in your car with large dripping Strawberry Smoothies and with $3.75 large torn bags of greasy potato chips ....... that is after they break some of your interior door handles by trying to rotate same.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 07-07-2017 at 12:00 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:23 PM   #5
figment

I would not toss the old lock even if it is stuck. There are several Model A Owners that would rather have original than the reproduction. If you look at the face of the two locks you will see the difference. Norm
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:08 PM   #6
FrankWest

Once you get the lock out submerse it in MMO for a week or so the insert the key and try to turn it. Submerse it again into the MMO each day and try to turn the lock, eventually you will get it working. There is a small hole in the outer shell, turn the lock 90 degrees and press into the hole to remove the cylinders, now soak that.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:14 PM   #7
Ed Wendell

Dick,
In most cases the square shaft on the lock flops around. Not sure about the reproductions but the originals had a hole in the end of the shaft. You most likely will have to pull the upholstery back so you can put an ice pick thru the latch to align the shaft up with the small square hole in the latch assembly.
Ed
Ed Wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:08 PM   #8
H. L. Chauvin

Per #4, might add that I had soaked my door lock in everything for a week in Kroil, PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, Transmission fluid, and just about everything except acid.

Mr. Crabtree never mentioned how he got this lock to rotate; and I never asked Mr. Crabtree what method he used to free it up.

Sometime earlier he had completely reconditioned my original pop-out switch and armored cable and made (2) extra key sets for my ignition switch, exterior door, and spare tire lock.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote