Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-27-2015, 10:28 PM   #1
Don/WI

Default K.R.Wilson Combination Machine value

I have the opportunity to purchase a K.R.Wilson Combination Machine complete with all of the babbitt pouring equipment, boring equipment, etc. I have checked it against the information in the "K.R.Wilson Service Station Equipment for Ford Dealers 1931 - 32 Catalog" (reproduction) and the "Parts List for Combination Machine" which has pictures of the parts on the back side of the parts list sheet. What would be a fair price to offer him for this equipment? I have no intention of using this equipment to restore engines. I just want to set up a display in a room adjacent to my shop. All comments are welcome except the ones that say "Are you crazy" because my wife has already told me that and she is a pretty good judge of character. I don't intend to show pictures of this equipment because those of you that know what I am talking about already know what it looks like. Thanks, Don/WI
Don/WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:47 AM   #2
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: K.R.Wilson Combination Machine value

the value depends on the tools included.

People pay a few grand just for the tool to cut the oil groves. If it has the oil grove tool it would be nice if you sold it to someone who will use it as it is an important tool.

If any of the shock tools are in the pile please let me know.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:00 AM   #3
Joe K

Quote:
All comments are welcome except the ones that say "Are you crazy" because my wife has already told me that and she is a pretty good judge of character.
"Lord grant that our passions kill us not - nor die themselves in their attempt."

Life would be a pretty boring place without passion.

Joe K
Old 03-28-2015, 09:07 AM   #4
Mikeinnj

It's a shame so many of these tools are now dedicated to being "wall art" when someone knowledgeable could be using them.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:03 PM   #5
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930 coupe View Post
Yes we know what they look like but the term COMPLETE means different things to different people, and a picture would help determine the condition.
It is like the term RESTORED, to some people it means a 400 point show car, and some people call a rattle can paint job RESTORED.
A picture would be very helpful because some of the items are $2000 to $3000 by their self, and these items may or may not be included.

A fair price is what you think the value is to you for your display and what you can afford vs what the seller is happy with. Some deals are less.. some are more. 1930 coupe ( bill ) is correct and very familiar with the fixtures. I have chosen over the years to collect all the other KRW tools A & V8 except the combination machines. Primarily for space, and use. I have another boring bar and pouring fixtures to use vs/the original setups did not have adjustable reamers although they can be converted I believe.
If you are purchasing to make money just know the pool willing to spend that kind of money on these is very small. I'm probably one of the more serious collectors and I won't do it.

As 1930 coupe said.. completeness, condition, etc is all very important as the pieces are difficult to find. I currently do not know of anyone personally who is using the KRW combination machine to do boring/line boring.. but I'm sure there is somewhere. Some of the other pieces, oil groove cutters, etc are however very handy.

Larry S.
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:53 PM   #6
Doug Clayton

Count me in! I still use the Combination Machine and tools to line bore main bearings and bore cylinders. However, I do take the block to a local shop that hones the cylinders to the final size.
Doug Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:18 AM   #7
u10166

I am looking for the K R Wilson Key cutter anyone have one for sale? I am a True Model A man and want to reproduce the keys for everyone at a reasonable cost "NOT" 50.00 each like some. I have two 1930 coupes going at the same time and I am also trying to get the gaskets for the Gordon Smith air compressor head Setup. I also have other automotive interest and have recently gotten a rare Supercharger impeller and rear cover reproduced. I was even offered the patent if I wanted to buy it so I
am persistent! Thanks for your time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
u10166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:30 AM   #8
monto

Smile Re: K.R.Wilson Combination Machine value

Quote:
Originally Posted by u10166 View Post
I am looking for the K R Wilson Key cutter anyone have one for sale? I am a True Model A man and want to reproduce the keys for everyone at a reasonable cost "NOT" 50.00 each like some. I have two 1930 coupes going at the same time and I am also trying to get the gaskets for the Gordon Smith air compressor head Setup. I also have other automotive interest and have recently gotten a rare Supercharger impeller and rear cover reproduced. I was even offered the patent if I wanted to buy it so I
am persistent! Thanks for your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
The KRW key cutter would be a poor choice to actually use, given the far better, cheaper, and more accurate tools available to cut keys. Even a simple handheld Curtis key cutter does a fast easy accurate job. I have several Curtis cutters for Model A and V8, as well as B&S GM, Chrysler etc for sale.
For wall art, go with the KR Wilson cutter. For cutting keys at reasonable cost, You'll compromise quality reproduction with the Wilson rather than a contemporary Ilco, Curtis, Framon, etc. machine or Curtis handheld. You'll find decent used ones on Ebay for much less than the collectable antique.
monto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:46 AM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by monto View Post
For wall art, go with the KR Wilson cutter. For cutting keys at reasonable cost, You'll compromise quality reproduction with the Wilson rather than a contemporary Ilco, Curtis, Framon, etc. machine or Curtis handheld. You'll find decent used ones on Ebay for much less than the collectable antique.
I tried to see an antique key cutter on ebay and they pulled it twice. The idiots called it a burglary tool and that's against ebay policy. I haven't sold a thing on ebay since then.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:35 AM   #10
Dick So. Cal.

Reply to message #10. Key cutter

Contact Jay Skinner. 4481 Gundry Ave., Long Beach CA 90807.
Sorry, I don't have his phone.
Dick So. Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 12:40 PM   #11
monto

I tried to see an antique key cutter on ebay and they pulled it twice. The idiots called it a burglary tool and that's against ebay policy. I haven't sold a thing on ebay since then.

My apology, Tom. I wrote EBAY when I should have written INTERNET. I stand corrected!
If one searches various websites, one can purchase as many key cutters as he/she wants.

Last edited by monto; 10-18-2015 at 12:43 PM. Reason: spelling
monto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:47 AM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Just because you don't use it as such does not mean that they are not classified as such.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:38 AM   #13
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Just because you don't use it as such does not mean that they are not classified as such.
If my key cutter is a burglary tool then a hammer is a lethal weapon and shouldn't be sold on ebay either. How come others have sold key machines on ebay, but I can't?

The same thing happened when I tried to sell a clean open title for a 1929 Model A truck. I've seen several titles sold for $300 and up on ebay.

I do have a 1929 Cowl, so I should advertise that I have a 1929 Model A with clean title for sale, but several parts are missing.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:28 AM   #14
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
If my key cutter is a burglary tool then a hammer is a lethal weapon and shouldn't be sold on ebay either. How come others have sold key machines on ebay, but I can't?
Look, you do the research, most states consider code cutters in the hands of those not in the business of making keys, burglary tools, and if even only one did, ebay would be correct in denying its sale.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:32 AM   #15
Vin-tin

Quote:

The same thing happened when I tried to sell a clean open title for a 1929 Model A truck. I've seen several titles sold for $300 and up on ebay.

I do have a 1929 Cowl, so I should advertise that I have a 1929 Model A with clean title for sale, but several parts are missing.
Tom. You have to call it a "historical document". Then eBay will allow it.
Vin-tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:36 AM   #16
Rowdy
BANNED

I often wonder what the value of my KRW machine is with the thrust cutter, oil groove cutter, false cams for the A and T, pouring jigs for A and T and boring bars for A and T. Payed $4500 for it and the Kwikway line bore set up in 2006. Came with several burners for babbit pots also. In order to use any of the burners I would need to convert them to OPD and build a stand. Rod
Old 10-19-2015, 07:01 PM   #17
u10166

Forever4, I need to buy a machine that will cut by the codes I have three Rumble handle locks A-1098, A-1187, A-1191 I want a machine that will cut these. If you have one please e-mail me some photos and prices of what you have and what it will do. Thank you, u10166,
Todd my e-mail is [email protected]

u10166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:43 PM   #18
spdway1

I would not my Model A engine rebuilt from an 80 plus year old WORN OUT tooling. I suggest a modern day shop with CNC and such machines. Makes sense...
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:22 PM   #19
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by u10166 View Post
Forever4, I need to buy a machine that will cut by the codes I have three Rumble handle locks A-1098, A-1187, A-1191 I want a machine that will cut these. If you have one please e-mail me some photos and prices of what you have and what it will do. Thank you, u10166,
Todd my e-mail is [email protected]

I think A&L in Ct. will cut your keys to code if that would help any.

Boy did we drift off topic, sorry Don/Wi.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:14 PM   #20
cojones

I have an extra KR Wilson key cutter, but I need a copy of the code book for the cutter--willing to do partial trade?
cojones is offline   Reply With Quote