Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-15-2014, 12:12 AM   #1
jrhoa2

Default New Model A project owner

Hello everyone. I am new to the Model A but I was recently gifted a '28-30 Model A Tudor Sedan project from a long time family friend.

Mrs. L's husband is in a care center with severe Alzheimer's and she has decided to liquidate their estate. I have been actively working with her to sell off their collection of classic/antique cars. So far I have helped her sell two 1957 ford Fairlane Skyliner projects, a 1926ish Nash parts car, a Model A parts truck, and a 1929 Chevy Sedan Special project car. This A was part of her collection.

I had drooled over this sedan back when I was in high school. I always thought it was a shame that it was just sitting there and not being finished. It had so much potential for a young guy with money to burn. I had asked for a price to buy it many times but I was always told that it was not for sale. I think they knew that I wanted to turn it into a hot rod.

I think Mrs. L's father had started restoring the A about 30 years ago. From the looks of things, he had completely restored the frame and running gear. He had started on the body but he was unable to complete it before age overtook him. He had managed to acquire a stash of used and NOS parts for the A that are included with it.

When Mrs. L told me that she was gifting the A to me, I refused. She told me that if it was not for me, none of the cars would have been sold and a lot of the cleaning of the property would have not gotten done. I kept telling her that she was family and that is what family does for each other. Well, that argument didn't work so well. She threw it right back at me and told me that I was family and she was giving me part of the estate.

It actually got a little uncomfortable. I kept refusing the Model A and she kept insisting that I take it. Mrs. L got to the point of telling me that if I did not take it, I would not be welcomed at her home anymore. I guess you really should not argue with a 76 year old woman. They will always win!

We did reach a happy medium, if you can call it that. I kept trying to offer her money for it when I could afford it. She refused. She did tell me that when I reached the first Million dollars in my bank account, than and only than, I could pay her fair market value for the way the sedan sits right now in today’s dollars. Since she is 76 years old and I make just a little more than enough to get by, we both know that it will never happen.

As a show of respect to Mrs. L and her family, I plan to put the Model A back to stock and keep it original. Since her father was working towards that goal, I will continue his work. One change I plan on making is to add a heater to it. Since I live in Minnesota, it would be nice to be able to drive it later in the year.

Mrs. L does not have a title for my new A. It has either been lost over the years or her father never had one. As soon as I get the numbers off frame and engine, I am going to go to the DMV and try to transfer ownership and apply for a new title.

One problem I have is that I do not know the exact year of it. I know that once I find the frame and engine numbers, it should pin point when it was made. I am afraid that I will not find the frame number and the engine may have been replaced sometime in the last 80 years.

I am going to do some research to find out the differences between the years, but I have not gotten that far yet. I am just so excited that I now have the A I have wanted for so long, I just needed to tell someone!!

I am not an old car guy, I am an old airplane guy. If anyone can provide me with advise or links to pinpoint the year of my A without engine or frame numbers, I would appreciate it.

I currently have an antique airplane project that I am planning on painting up like it was used by the US Army/Air force. I have toyed with the idea of painting my A like it was a US Army Staff car, but I have been unable to find any pictures of one. I have googled it and came up empty handed. Any ideas?

Here are some pictures of my A as it sits right now. I have not inventoried what is inside it or the parts pile next to it yet. I have been led to believe that it is a complete car.

I had some problems loading pictures so here is a link to photobucket.

http://s8.photobucket.com/user/jrhoa...tml?sort=3&o=6

jrhoa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:30 AM   #2
montanafordman

Default Re: New Model A project owner

Nice looking project! looks like its going to be fun and I'm glad to see your good deeds haven't gone unpunished. From what I can tell its either a 1928 or 1929 based on the firewall. If you have round bumper clamps its a 1928 and oval clamps for 1929. Also the headlight lenses had straight vertical flutes in 1928. I also noticed you have a heater manifold already on the car. There is a top piece that bolts onto the exhaust manifold that ducts air over the hot manifold and through a hole cut in the firewall. I know all about the winters! I lived in Grand Forks, ND for 7 years and attended the University of North Dakota and worked there as a flight instructor. I have flown all over your area so as a fellow pilot nerd I'd love to see and hear about what aircraft you're working on! Currently I fly cargo out of Seattle.

I think you'd be surprised at how much fun a stock model A is. When they are restored properly they drive and stop well, are simple to work on, and get looks everywhere you go. The stock sound and drivetrain is much more interesting than just another small block Chev anyway. There's lots of good info on this board and plenty of people here that will offer words of advice. Good luck with your project and keep us posted!
Old 10-15-2014, 03:44 AM   #3
dumb person

The exhaust manifold looks like the heater type so fitting a heater might be that much easier.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:56 AM   #4
bobusnick104

Looks great! Good luck with your project. I have airplanes too, but driving the A is just as fun. I'm putting a heater manifold on my tudor to extend my driving season.
Bob
bobusnick104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:58 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Looks like you have some very nice parts to work with. Have you checked the gas tank date?

Glad to hear you are keeping it original. Hot rodding a Model A is like putting a jet engine into a biplane.
It sure wouldn't look or sound right.

If the firewall doesn't have a heater hole, rather than cut the firewall, I'd run heat or heater hoses through the wood floorboards.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:14 AM   #6
Mitch//pa
BANNED

good luck with it
your a lucky guy not being far from Tom W
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:06 PM   #7
jrhoa2

Thanks everyone!
I am really looking forward to this project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Looks like you have some very nice parts to work with. Have you checked the gas tank date?
Tom, I did not even know that the gas tank had a date on it. Where would I find it? I was thinking that the gas tank was a replacement tank.

I hope to be able to pull some of the parts out tomorrow and get a better look at them. Other than the firewall and the bumper clamps that may or may not be on it, what other areas should I take pictures of to help pin down the year?
Old 10-15-2014, 07:25 PM   #8
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhoa2 View Post
Thanks everyone!
I am really looking forward to this project.

Tom, I did not even know that the gas tank had a date on it. Where would I find it? I was thinking that the gas tank was a replacement tank.

I hope to be able to pull some of the parts out tomorrow and get a better look at them. Other than the firewall and the bumper clamps that may or may not be on it, what other areas should I take pictures of to help pin down the year?
There might be a date stamped just above the seam on the driver's side of the firewall/gas tank on the engine compartment side. They aren't always there, but if it is, it will read something like 7-17-29 ((my Tudor date).

Very smart to keep it stock. Find a cover for that heater manifold. It will definitely keep you warm!

Welcome to the Barn, and don't be afraid to ask ANY question. We're here to help.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:48 PM   #9
Bob C

This is a gas tank date.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg date.jpg (41.5 KB, 135 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:51 PM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

Does the lower left rear of the body have 3 holes for the drum taillight support?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:53 PM   #11
jrhoa2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Does the lower left rear of the body have 3 holes for the drum taillight support?
I really do not know yet, I will have to look.....

It is amazing how many little details there are to tell the years apart. I never would have guessed. I hope that by the time I am done with this project, I too will know the differences.

Does anybody know if the Model A was ever used by the US Army as a staff car?

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2014, 09:54 AM   #12
JohnLaVoy

Looking forward to seeing the progress pictures as you bring it back to life and on to the Model A highway!
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #13
Fred
BANNED

No holes in body for tail light mount, front cross member etc. is 1929 (not cut). Oil pan not of 1928 style.. Its a 1929..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:43 AM   #14
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Very nice, best of luck!
Old 10-16-2014, 03:26 PM   #15
1930artdeco

Great looking project you have there. Two things, you have a wooden wheel in the parts stash. Model A's could come with wooden wheels as an accessories. I don't know how many you have though. And two, Yes, the US Army used Model A's in the early 30's. There was a thread here about someone making an Army truck, just use the search engine.

Mike
Old 10-16-2014, 04:22 PM   #16
Hoogah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post
Yes, the US Army used Model A's in the early 30's. There was a thread here about someone making an Army truck, just use the search engine.

Mike
This is the one:
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ruck&showall=1
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #17
beechboy

Congrats on your new "A" It looks great. hope to see many pics.
beechboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:38 PM   #18
Tiny

Just copy the IMG code. Nice looking project you have there
Old 10-16-2014, 05:40 PM   #19
Tiny

Old 10-16-2014, 05:41 PM   #20
Tiny