Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2018, 10:19 PM   #21
Manager

Default Re: Cleaning Gas Tank 'in place'

I removed mine and used mollasasis. Isn't that hard. A link to my post when I did it thanks to MikeV who found it when I couldn't.https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showp...98&postcount=9
Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:04 PM   #22
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Clement View Post
When we tried and failed to clean a tank last fall, We used two rounds of Evaporust in the 28 tank. after rinsing we still had nonmetallic scum/particles that floated. They would move over the exit pipe and plug it. We gave up and told the owner to have someone do the job correctly
What I found on my 28 tank in the car is that it is difficult to fill the tank up 100% without leaving air space at the top of the tank where a lot of the rust is located(as verified with an inspection camera). That makes sense since even with the tank full there is air space above the gasoline. The air is very humid and rusts the top of the tank. I filled the tank while in the car with Rust911 and then added a filler pipe to the radiator cap flange and added a couple inches of liquid above the tank. I then used a siphon hose to pull out the remaining air to get a 100% full tank.

Best use of Rust911 would be with the tank out of the car and inverting the tank to make sure 100% of the rust is reached.

Once upon a time I bought a can of tank sealer. Never used it though.

Can't say how it has stood up as I sold the truck.

Last edited by mrtexas; 03-24-2018 at 08:11 PM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:44 AM   #23
tackle51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccb360 View Post
Magnets recovered from a discarded computer hard drive are very strong and work great. Just don't get your fingers pinched when placing the magnet.

Locate the magnet near the fuel shut off valve where collected debris may be seen and recovered from gas cap filler neck.

How exactly is the collected debris "recovered"? Also how would you remove the magnets if you wanted to? Thanks.
tackle51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:35 PM   #24
ccb360

Magnet is placed beside the fuel shut off valve under tank (outside). The magnet can be removed at any time. Periodically before filling tank look inside for debris. If some is found, remove debris with another magnet such as one on a telescopic probe. Another way to remove debris is by using a siphon hose. If there is a large quantity of debris some other means will be needed.
ccb360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:57 PM   #25
duke36

How does one do the debris cleaning and magnet on an indented firewall tank ? The drain is well over to the right corner. I guess one needs a scope to see over there.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:26 PM   #26
ccb360

Intention is to place magnet where collected debris may be seen from gas cap opening.
ccb360 is offline   Reply With Quote