Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-31-2018, 03:03 PM   #1
BillCNC

Question 19" Rim's

Hello All,

I am starting my quest in hunting down (5) 19" wheels for my 31 Tudor and I do have to admit, I'm clueless when it comes to these wheel's so I have a couple of question's to ask if I may.

A) What should I be looking for and more importantly, what should I run from?
B) What is the price range for the quality?
C) Should one expect to get a price brakes with quantity?

Thank You

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:19 PM   #2
SeaSlugs

Default Re: 19" Rim's

Ive seen em as cheap as $5 for decent looking at swap meets. typically ive seen them in the $20/rim price for an OK rim $50 should get you a really nice true rim that may need some touchup paint. Best bet is to find a hot rodder whos chopping up an old restoration and buy the rest of rims off him for cheap. Sure anytime you buy a pile of something you haggle less as its less junk they have to take home.

#1Rust is gonna be deal breaker - once its rusted thin its hard to replace. #2 if you can find a way to spin it to see how true it is - alot are bent. You can roll them on a level surface and see how much the center wobbles in a pinch #3 severely bent spokes and number of bent spokes and or broken spokes. Last one isnt a deal breaker but factor in your time to do the repairs or cost to have them done. To check for broken spokes take a small object (wrench, hammer handle etc) and "ting" each spoke. Should produce a nice ringing effect. if one sis broke it goes "twank" and doesnt ring. Obvious when you find one. (think of the correct ringing when you used to "pluck" a bicycle spoke)

Oh and most likely when you do roll it it may sound like sand inside the rim - thats rust and rather common and no way to get to it. Some people drill a few small holes and fill with as much glue as they can and roll the rim so it glues the particles down but most ignore it.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:34 PM   #3
Purdy Swoft

I would call Berts in Colorado I've bought new and expensive new wheels before . I've bought straight sandblasted wheels from berts and I much prefer the real model A wheels from Berts any day . Its been a while and I'm sure prices would have to have gone up. I would talk to steve at Berts . 800-321-1931
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:36 PM   #4
Kevin in NJ

Rust, spokes are not easy to make level. Mine had a few gouges. Rust inside the rim where the tire mount can be an issue.

While not a show stopper, take along a a good lugnut. Put it in the holes, the lugnut should not be going through. Mine were all run loose and have some wear so I got some washers. Keep in mind they were not rusty.

There were not super straight to begin with so you need to put a dial indicator on them to check. If I remember correct .125" in the 3 directions was factory.

Here money up front for nice means a lot less time in prep. I used electrolytic rust removal to clear the surface rust and got a lot of the paint off. Then blasted them in my glass bead booth.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:47 PM   #5
1930-Pickup

They need to spin true. Straight spokes don't mean that they run true. If you are running +/-16" (1/8" total) in both the axial and radial views, then you doing fairly well. There are many rims out there running on cars today that have much more run out.

Until you mount them on the car or a fixture, you wont know if they run true. This makes for problems at swap meets or buying on-line.

Look for cracks at the lug holes. Some people weld them, I run away.

Look for broken welds on the spokes.

Look to see if the wheel has been driven on without a tire. This will typically cause deformation of the metal at the outward rim edge. It will not run true, and looks terrible when driving.

Minor bent spokes can be straightened with a slide hammer. Many times a few minor bent spokes will not affect the rim run out.

Most rims for sale are left-overs. Basically rejects. Some call them 'rollers'.
It can be frustrating.

I picked up a set of five 19" rims from a 1930 Coupe. They have original paint and run basically true. I paid 125 I think, but I was lucky. If you have a known good rim, be prepared to pay much more.

So now that you are scared to buy , there is the Big-3 Swap coming up in San Diego in February.

Last edited by 1930-Pickup; 01-31-2018 at 03:56 PM.
1930-Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:59 PM   #6
1930-Pickup

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I would call Berts in Colorado I've bought new and expensive new wheels before . I've bought straight sandblasted wheels from berts and I much prefer the real model A wheels from Berts any day . Its been a while and I'm sure prices would have to have gone up. I would talk to steve at Berts . 800-321-1931
I agree. If you are looking for a turn-key solution, this is the way to go.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:13 PM   #7
Purdy Swoft

With Berts sand blasted wheels you can see what you are getting. All I had to do was prime and paint
Old 01-31-2018, 04:29 PM   #8
BillCNC

Great Info Guy's.

I thought the hoops were flat like a motorcycle, are the hoops hollow?

As far as Bert's go, … Wont the shipping be brutal?

What kind of trade value would my (5) straight 16” wheels (look at my avatar) be towards (5) straight 19” wheels?

Regards
Bill
Old 01-31-2018, 04:49 PM   #9
Bob C

21" are hollow by the bead.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:08 PM   #10
d.

what Bob said...the 21" rim is hollow at the bead, the 19" rim is flat steel, no place to trap rust, sand, etc.
d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:24 PM   #11
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCNC View Post
Great Info Guy's.

I thought the hoops were flat like a motorcycle, are the hoops hollow?

As far as Bert's go, … Wont the shipping be brutal?

What kind of trade value would my (5) straight 16” wheels (look at my avatar) be towards (5) straight 19” wheels?

Regards
Bill
Bill,

You should be able to find something local. If your 16's are '35 Ford they are probably a straight across swap. If they are Kelsey's (your AVATAR is too small to tell), and in good shape, you might have $1000 worth of wheels. Post a close up of your wheels if you don't understand the difference.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:45 PM   #12
Purdy Swoft

Yes the shipping was nearly as expensive as the 5 wheels were but its been a while . You are closer to Berts than I am . Shipping heavy parts will be expensive no matter where they are shipped from. Its near impossible to tell how straight the wheels will be if bought at a swap meet or from eBay. I've bought more wobbly wheels than straight wheels.I trusted Steve at Berts . If you want the best sometimes you've gotta pay the price . Good luck finding good wheels . The ones that I got from Berts were perfect .
Old 01-31-2018, 05:57 PM   #13
1930-Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCNC View Post
Hello All,

I am starting my quest in hunting down (5) 19" wheels for my 31 Tudor and I do have to admit, I'm clueless when it comes to these wheel's so I have a couple of question's to ask if I may.

A) What should I be looking for and more importantly, what should I run from?
B) What is the price range for the quality?
C) Should one expect to get a price brakes with quantity?

Thank You

Regards
Bill
You did after all ask for 'Quality', not low price. Purdy gave you the answer to your question.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:19 PM   #14
BillCNC

What do I really have, ...

Here are picture's of the front, back and spokes of the wheels.

Regards
Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180131_151240.jpg (60.9 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 20180131_151224.jpg (68.1 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 20180131_151255.jpg (57.8 KB, 66 views)
Old 01-31-2018, 07:19 PM   #15
Purdy Swoft

Your wheels appear to be 1935 Ford 16 inch weheels . From what I can see they look good . Yhey are not the Kelsey Hayes bent spoke wheels .Hot rodders often like them and they usually bring a good price .
Old 01-31-2018, 10:42 PM   #16
daveymc29

Just saw a set of 6 K/H wheels and tires at Turlock. $2,000 if I remember correctly for 16''. I KICKED MYSELF WHEN I GOT HOME FOR NOT PICKING UP A PHONE NUMBER.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:43 AM   #17
ronn

16's worth double the 19's all day long

was selling 16 rims only for 400 a set a couple of years back

I would hit craigs list to find your wheels- they will be local and always rodders dumping them inexpensively.
200. for a set of 5 rims is about right if they are decent.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:49 AM   #18
Railcarmover
BANNED

Whay get rid of those 16's? other than the wide whites and whore red? they are a stronger wheel and can run modern tubless tires with a sealing valve stem..depending on the aspect ration of the modern radial you buy you'll get better braking effect and ride..of course if its looks your after go for it..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:42 AM   #19
Purdy Swoft

I would allways prefer the 19s for the original look on a 30-31 car . The squatty short spoke 16s look silly to me , especially on a 28-29 model A . If I used later Ford spoke wheels I would prefer the 17 or 18 inch wheels, they are taller and show off the spokes better .
Old 02-01-2018, 12:18 PM   #20
BillCNC

Yes, it's strictly for the look. Unfortunately I HAVE to buy (5) new tires $,$$$.$$.

The part that really suck's is these ones still have the nipples on the tread but they are splitting inside the tread and on the inner sidewall and I believe they are around 8-9 year's old. Since I'm having to buy tires, I have been contemplating whether to get them in 16's or get 19" wheel's and tires.

Like Purdy said, ... they look to squatted, ... a low rider model A? It's odd how much difference 1.5" can make.

Hmmm, ... Anyone thinking about going from 19" to 16"?

Regards
Bill