Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-13-2015, 10:30 PM   #1
rudvirus

Default shocks are missing

So I have been reading on here about stocks and was going to see how to fill them up. Since I noticed the one side of the coupe was leaning a little. I go under the car and noticed that my have none all together. So either my grandfather took them off becuase they were bad, or someone took them off when he had it park outside for a longtime hmmm.
rudvirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:59 PM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: shocks are missing

Same thing happened to me when I bought my very first A. Sure saves on oil ( lol ) !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:14 PM   #3
rudvirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
Same thing happened to me when I bought my very first A. Sure saves on oil ( lol ) !
Wayne
That is true lol. I am putting modern shocks on the back anyways, might as well do the front now. I have to read up on the shocks for the front dont want them to stiff.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:42 AM   #4
BILL WILLIAMSON

Rudvirus,
Be SURE NOT to get GAS shocks, it'll ride like a STEAM ROLLER!!
Bbbbbbbill W.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:17 AM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

You have four choices;
  • Leave it
  • Original style
  • Tube
  • MGB
Old 04-14-2015, 08:44 AM   #6
mshmodela

Yes, mine A did not have them either. I have a set of stipe shocks and related parts arms etc. However, the 4 brand new original tube (non-dog bone) links are all defective, multi cracks where the grease fittings are.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:46 AM   #7
ricklove

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Rudvirus,
Be SURE NOT to get GAS shocks, it'll ride like a STEAM ROLLER!!
Bbbbbbbill W.
What's a good alternative?
ricklove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:02 AM   #8
Marshall V. Daut

The reason your car is leaning to one side is most likely not because there are no shock absorbers. A Model "A" can sit perfectly level with or without shocks. Most Model "A's" lean to one side or the other because whoever installed the front and/or rear springs did not get the center spring bolt head to seat properly in the respective crossmember, OR the hanger nuts were tightened without first leveling the frame. I've heard the argument that overweight drivers have caused the frame and body to lean to the left, but I think Haystack Calhoun would have to be the driver and have abused the car over many decades for THAT to explain such a lean.
To correct your lean, simply loosen the front and rear spring hanger nuts. Then stand on the runningboard on the high side and use your weight to flex your knees up and down to rock the chassis. This will "slide" the frame in the direction you are standing and change the lean. Get off the running board and check the levelness front an rear. Don't trust a measuring stick at the bumpers because the brackets may be bent or other factors may give a false reading. Use your eye to tell you when levelness has been achieved. You may have to go back and forth from runningboard to runningboard before the car sits level. When satisfied that the car now sits level, be sure to check that the center bolt head in each spring has nestled into the crossmember hole. Tighten up the spring hanger nuts evenly so that you don't pull the frame in one direction or the other. Test drive the car to ensure the new setting remains. If so, replace the cotter pins.
By the way, some guys like to put a VERY SLIGHT lean to the passenger's side so that when they are in the driver's seat, the car will be level. If your springs and hangers are in good shape and you're not Haystack Calhoun's twin brother, this shouldn't be necessary. Go for a level stance with the car empty.
This suggestion does not imply that your car doesn't need shocks! It does need them if you want to achieve the ride and handling that were designed into these cars. The foregoing is only intended to get the car level PRIOR to installing shock absorbers.
Marshall

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 04-14-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:27 AM   #9
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklove View Post
What's a good alternative?
Rick,
Just use STANDARD DUTY, OIL TYPE, TUBE SHOCKS. Model A's are a very LIGHT car, UNLESS you're haulin' a load uf CHUBBY WOMEN!

Bill W.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:59 AM   #10
ricklove

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Rick,
Just use STANDARD DUTY, OIL TYPE, TUBE SHOCKS. Model A's are a very LIGHT car, UNLESS you're haulin' a load uf CHUBBY WOMEN!

Bill W.
..... and what's wrong with chubby women??
ricklove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:50 AM   #11
Marshall V. Daut

Maybe Bill meant "Chebby Women", as in "Chevr*let Women"?
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:20 PM   #12
rudvirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
The reason your car is leaning to one side is most likely not because there are no shock absorbers. A Model "A" can sit perfectly level with or without shocks. Most Model "A's" lean to one side or the other because whoever installed the front and/or rear springs did not get the center spring bolt head to seat properly in the respective crossmember, OR the hanger nuts were tightened without first leveling the frame. I've heard the argument that overweight drivers have caused the frame and body to lean to the left, but I think Haystack Calhoun would have to be the driver and have abused the car over many decades for THAT to explain such a lean.
To correct your lean, simply loosen the front and rear spring hanger nuts. Then stand on the runningboard on the high side and use your weight to flex your knees up and down to rock the chassis. This will "slide" the frame in the direction you are standing and change the lean. Get off the running board and check the levelness front an rear. Don't trust a measuring stick at the bumpers because the brackets may be bent or other factors may give a false reading. Use your eye to tell you when levelness has been achieved. You may have to go back and forth from runningboard to runningboard before the car sits level. When satisfied that the car now sits level, be sure to check that the center bolt head in each spring has nestled into the crossmember hole. Tighten up the spring hanger nuts evenly so that you don't pull the frame in one direction or the other. Test drive the car to ensure the new setting remains. If so, replace the cotter pins.
By the way, some guys like to put a VERY SLIGHT lean to the passenger's side so that when they are in the driver's seat, the car will be level. If your springs and hangers are in good shape and you're not Haystack Calhoun's twin brother, this shouldn't be necessary. Go for a level stance with the car empty.
This suggestion does not imply that your car doesn't need shocks! It does need them if you want to achieve the ride and handling that were designed into these cars. The foregoing is only intended to get the car level PRIOR to installing shock absorbers.
Marshall
Yeah I looked at the hangers and they are bad. I am buying new ones to fix that issue.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:33 PM   #13
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklove View Post
..... and what's wrong with chubby women??
I like chubby wimens. They have more cushin' for the pushin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
the hanger nuts were tightened without first leveling the frame.
Marshall
Thanks for that info Marshall. My Town Sedan has a slight lean to the drivers side. I'm going to check that out.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:43 PM   #14
BILL WILLIAMSON

A "CHUBBY" WOMAN once sat on me!! Ever wunder WHY I walk "FUNNY"???
Bill W.