Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-20-2011, 04:05 PM   #41
dr.j

Default Re: Model A horns

FM ?? I just looked at mine and the only writing I can identify are the initials FM ???
Years ago when DMS switching appeared on the market replacing SXS we called it FM (f#^^ing Magic),
1928 Tudor
dr.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:08 PM   #42
raprice

I have a repro Sparton horn on my "A" and love the sound. I really couldn't care less about judging. In fact, I don't want a judge near my car. Besides, the Sparton looks good to me. That's my 2 cents.
Rog
raprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-29-2011, 12:38 PM   #43
wcolo

Rog,
You cap should have Model FM followed by the manufacturer's address heavily embossed on the top of the one piece cap; the early version had a one piece domed cap with the adjustment screw and hold down screw very close. The later version, mid 28 through 29 had a cap also with Model FM followed by the address, embossed heavily, cap similar in construction to the Stewart/Warner and same screw configuration. Out of 5 FM Model A Horns I have (three 28's and two 29's), I can find only one horn with EA stamped on the bell base, no FM stampings other than the one found on the one piece cap. If you have a Model A FM horn without the address on the top of the cap, you have the wrong cap, at least from what I have researched. Replacement caps are available from A&L back east.
wcolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:43 PM   #44
wcolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by raprice View Post
I have a repro Sparton horn on my "A" and love the sound. I really couldn't care less about judging. In fact, I don't want a judge near my car. Besides, the Sparton looks good to me. That's my 2 cents.
Rog
Rog,
If it is the later repro horns as sold by Bratton's, they are a decent horns(although they are a bastard to work on the motors), if it is a 60's Jubilee or Hutchins I recommend you buy an original horns, unless you enjoy the harassment of Model A purists. When I see a 60's repro Hutchins(with the classy chrome bell dudes) on a Model A Ford, out comes my business cards showing I restore the originals. Most folks in my county do not know the difference between a Hutchins Aftermarket and a submarine klaxton.

Bennett
wcolo is offline   Reply With Quote