Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-18-2015, 08:19 PM   #41
uncle buck

Default Re: Bob drake again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Drake Repro View Post
As a policy, we do not hang up on customers. Even if a customer becomes irate, we attempt to calm the conversation to better resolve the problem. However, if a customer becomes excessively belligerent, profane or personally attacks our representative, we reserve the right to disconnect the call.

Bob Drake, himself, does not answer calls in our call center and is very difficult to reach by phone out-of-the-blue.
Thank you for responding to the post. Like with most businesses, you can satisfy 100 people and never hear a word about it , but have 1 person mad and 100 people will hear about it. I asked Larry / Texas how the conversation went and he has been on the site multiple times since and ignored it. It's possible if he was hung up on , it was a conversation fitting your policy to disconnect and I probably would have ended it myself if I were at the recieving end.
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:29 PM   #42
done4

Send a message via Yahoo to done4

Bashing is easy on the interweb, answering with straight answers takes some stones. As said I rely on Henry stuff but I give credit for an answer that is logical. But maybe a little more push on Q&A would be a corporate focus. Good job man.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:09 PM   #43
Tim Brown

I try to make parts myself. Then I throw it away and buy aftermarket parts. Bob Drake has done me well over the last 20 years. If you dont like what Drake sells, try making it yourself...
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:34 PM   #44
uncle buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Brown View Post
I try to make parts myself. Then I throw it away and buy aftermarket parts. Bob Drake has done me well over the last 20 years. If you dont like what Drake sells, try making it yourself...
I'm with you Tim. I would like to see more suppliers. If there is competition it will help drive quality up in most cases
Old 11-18-2015, 09:44 PM   #45
jacob smith

I try to buy NOS but I am very happy there are company like drake out there making parts that I can not find.
Thank you
Old 11-18-2015, 09:44 PM   #46
39topless

Wink Re: Bob drake again

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Drake Repro View Post
We usually don’t participate in the Bob-Bashing pastime, but a customer mentioned this particular thread and suggested we may want to comment and clarify. It is impossible to address such a large accumulation of remarks, so I will simply focus this post on the point at which the damn began to break.

As a policy, we do not hang up on customers. Even if a customer becomes irate, we attempt to calm the conversation to better resolve the problem. However, if a customer becomes excessively belligerent, profane or personally attacks our representative, we reserve the right to disconnect the call.

If you purchase a part from us and find need to return it, give us a call, let us know what is wrong, and we will work to get the part back. We do have a 30-day return policy, but may extend the period in extenuating circumstances (that said, we do not generally take parts back that have been modified or suffer damage from wear, improper installation/handling or misuse). We warranty our chrome for a full year and rubber for three years against deterioration. If you purchase a part made by us, but bought from a different source (one of our dealers), we ask that you please return the part to that source. We do not demand a robust return policy from our dealers, but if you have an unjust experience with one of our dealers, we would like to know about it.

As for corrosion of a brass part exposed to water (on the underside of a Radiator cap), this may be the result of chemical electrolysis. Basically, there is a chemical imbalance and the water has become acidic. Use a voltmeter to check if your water is holding a charge – if it is, you are suffering from chemical electrolysis. The causes are various (bad additives, long-term build-up of static electricity from a bad ground, maybe a short in the system) and the coolant system may need to be flushed. All aluminum and brass parts in contact with the water need to be checked for excessive corrosion. Always make sure you have clean grounds. We are not definitively stating this is the cause of a badly corroded radiator cap brass underside, but most likely the reason, and we will not accept the item for return. Brass will not so quickly deteriorate under normal conditions. Some of the other Barners will surely be able to chime in more here with some advice.

Bob Drake, himself, does not answer calls in our call center and is very difficult to reach by phone out-of-the-blue. Our service manager, Peter, however is usually available and willing to help with a problem whether you purchased one of our parts or not. If you wish to reach Bob, all mail addressed to Bob Drake is delivered directly to him. If you are unsatisfied with our service or product, cannot reach a resolution with a member of our service team, have questions on a Ford part, or even part suggestions, please write a letter to Bob. It may take a little time, but he often responds. You may also be able to catch Bob at one of the shows - he likes walking around to look at the cars, so keep your eyes peeled.

We know we are not perfect, but work hard to produce good parts for an often difficult array of vehicles in a niche market. We strive to be better and many of you have made us better. Thank you for your long term support and help.
"write a letter to Bob..... he often responds."
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:24 PM   #47
mercman from oz

It is very sad to read all the negativity about Bob Drake and his products. It seems that there are only a very small minority of people who have an axe to grind. As mentioned in an earlier Post, where would we old Ford V8 enthusiasts be without him taking the initiative and expense in tooling up for long unavailable parts. For example, his investment in making the replacement 1940 Ford Deluxe Grilles runs into very high dollars, and that is just one of his contributions. Restorers and Rodders alike use the parts that he makes and supplies. He attends many Early Ford V8 National events and is always ready and willing to donate Items for the Goodie Bag, as well as Items for the Raffle. Unfortunately, comments like this on Ford Barn can easily ruin a good man and business.Bob, Thanks for your contribution in keeping our old Ford V8s on the road. Mercman <><
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:41 AM   #48
outlaw

I for one am very thankfull for companys like Bob Drake. With parts for our old cars getting harder & harder to find its great that these persons have the knowledge, background, & fortitude to try to reproduce parts so that we can keep these old classics on the road. I know that there are problems with exact fitment & other issues, but considering the varing age, stress & delapidation (condition) these vehicles have endured , one cannot expect all reproduced parts to fit all of these vehicles exactly every time. I don't wish to start a war over where the parts are made. I personaly try to buy American made parts first, but face the facts, that aint always gonna happen in this day & age. I expect that I will get beat up for my comments by some of you, but in short my hat goes off to all companys like Bob Drake that at least take the time to try make parts for us. I can say for certain that they have done more than most of us to keep this past time & love of old cars alive & some what afforadable. Bill
outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:50 AM   #49
dwick01

I'm with you Outlaw, well said.
dwick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:59 AM   #50
ct1932ford

I just use Joe's Antique Auto www.joesantiqueauto.com Even though he gets his parts from many different suppliers I always know if any problems arise Joe will do everything possible to get it fixed. You must remember sometimes it is what it is. So you need to decide if the part is good enough. Otherwise try and find an original part and restore it if possible. I personally try and just use Joe's, and the service is top notch.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:19 PM   #51
91A-77B

Where's Bob in all this? Does he not read the most important FREE customer feed-back survey on the planet? Surely his side of the story is needed. After all, it's his substantial business investment and its future viability that's in question here. C'mon Bob!
91A-77B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:39 PM   #52
39topless

Bob's on back order.
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:47 PM   #53
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91A-77B View Post
Where's Bob in all this? Does he not read the most important FREE customer feed-back survey on the planet? Surely his side of the story is needed. After all, it's his substantial business investment and its future viability that's in question here. C'mon Bob!
See post #40. Also another ++ for Joe's. A real stand up guy. IMO.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:45 PM   #54
countrysquire

Not sure what Bob can say that his rep didn't say in the earlier reply, though Bob might care enough not to copy and paste from a response that they sent to someone else. Or maybe he would care enough to at least change the font...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
countrysquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:31 PM   #55
Mike B

I understand those who say "where would we be without...."m but the thing is, ...now think about this, does anyone think a person or company decided to spend money on tooling, engineers, ect, just to help a hobby survive, or do you think someone saw an opportunity to make a business and make some money?

Now, surely if the company that invested funds to "better the hobby" so to speak, would be on the suppliers, etc, to make sure that everything came out near perfect...just my opinion.

The gas tank issue I have heard here on the 'Barn at least 20 times, and all of the posts had the "this is the first time we've heard out that"...

Hey...I'm sure many have gotten great parts...that's awesome, but how about fixing the ones that are not right...soon enough...all the parts will be great parts.

Maybe I live in a different world?
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:39 PM   #56
uncle buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91A-77B View Post
I believe Bob does see these and it does bother him. No matter what he would say , some will continue to verbally attack him over and over. He is smart enough to know that. On an internet forum full of us faceless keyboard users it's not going to change anything. He travels all over the country to shows and swapmeets and is just a regular guy that is approachable and will always discuss questions and concerns face to face or just visit. I am very thankful for everything he has done for the hobby. To all of the Bob Bashers , I again think you should manufacture and market the items you have an issue with.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:38 AM   #57
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle buck View Post
I believe Bob does see these and it does bother him. No matter what he would say , some will continue to verbally attack him over and over. He is smart enough to know that. On an internet forum full of us faceless keyboard users it's not going to change anything. He travels all over the country to shows and swapmeets and is just a regular guy that is approachable and will always discuss questions and concerns face to face or just visit. I am very thankful for everything he has done for the hobby. To all of the Bob Bashers , I again think you should manufacture and market the items you have an issue with.
I am with you 100% Uncle Buck!! I usually see and talk to Bob at Hershey and at the EFV-8C/A meets that he attends. We have had discussions about the bashing he receives on this and other internet forums. Not mentioning any names here, but he actually knows the names of some of the folks who continually bash him here on this forum. Ironically, he mentioned that these bashers continue to buy large quantities of his products. In otherwords some of these bashers continue to be some of his biggest customers . Go figure that out

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 03:19 PM   #58
wspiker

Per Kube above: As a side note of sorts: I think it funny that those of us that expect honesty are labeled "whiners", etc. Since when did telling the truth become whining?

No one has said, suggested nor implied that expecting honesty and telling the truth would label someone a whiner..........go figure.
wspiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 04:39 PM   #59
oldford2

O K boys, the horse is dead. Back to the shop
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:17 AM   #60
klawockvet

I bought a 40 that had new looking wsw towers but no motor. When I picked up a motor i found the chains on the towers were broken. When I called BD to find out if they could be repaired or if they had replacement parts the rep said to send them back and they would be fixed even though I had no idea where they came from. I sent them back and they fixed them free of charge. I suspect the PO may have broken them by failing to read the instructions on how to set them up out of the box. Thanks Bob Drake.
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote