Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-28-2015, 07:01 PM   #1
PKS

Default AA Truck Worth

A difficult task is always putting a value on something. I have lost out on the last AA I was looking at. There is another "survivor" with a rebuilt engine (professionally done) for sale. It is a dump model. Rough cosmetics but mostly surface rust, lots of paint overs, needs new seats but current functional, no speedometer, plenty of farmer additions. Runs well, drives fine though if you hit a bump just right, it shimmies and you need to stop before moving on. New tires?. Dump works, transmission seems good and brakes are ok. I did not have a camera so no pictures yet. It also has a 6v alternator and a new radiator. Pretty original. $8000 seems high but would like some opinions. Thank you.
PKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:52 PM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: AA Truck Worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKS View Post
A difficult task is always putting a value on something. I have lost out on the last AA I was looking at. There is another "survivor" with a rebuilt engine (professionally done) for sale. It is a dump model. Rough cosmetics but mostly surface rust, lots of paint overs, needs new seats but current functional, no speedometer, plenty of farmer additions. Runs well, drives fine though if you hit a bump just right, it shimmies and you need to stop before moving on. New tires?. Dump works, transmission seems good and brakes are ok. I did not have a camera so no pictures yet. It also has a 6v alternator and a new radiator. Pretty original. $8000 seems high but would like some opinions. Thank you.
By the time you've owned it for a while, you'll forget what you paid for it
You probably missed the last one because you were reluctant to spend the $.If you really want an AA, go for it. The grim reaper might be just around the corner or a long way off but he gets us all eventually. Do it while you can.
"They don't put pockets in shrouds"
Old 05-28-2015, 07:59 PM   #3
mrtexas

As I've learned from the purchase of 5 antique cars, the hardest decision is what condition you want it in. It is much cheaper to decide that first and go buy one in that condition. Most expensive antique car is the fixer upper at a great price. Cheapest one is the one already done. Unless you are satisfied with the condition of the truck run Forrest run. Seems the market for AAs is much reduced than for As. Not as many people have the space to store a big AA.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:54 PM   #4
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Check for bondo with a magnet, if its been cheaply painted over probably a bad sign its been cheaply repaired.

Shimmying is usually worn out front end and steering parts - tires are most likely not your cause.

Brakes are pretty diehard on these but judging by the other issues this truck may run well but needs help in every other aspect. Unless you have an open 2 car garage and its filled with tools id start looking at the 9-10K range and find a much better truck overall...

Most AA's and especially dump bodies were usually overloaded so check the frame well and for broken rear leafs - most likely the entire rearend shackle and pins wise are worn out like most AA's, can get rather pricey to properly fix.

now that being said - if your looking for a solid truck to restore (check for bondo) or just do mechanical maintenance it doesn't sound too bad but yes $8k seems a touch high but Once you get pics we can better help you - it may be right on the money.

If it speaks to you and you feel right about the endevor go for it!

We can only help so much the ultimate decision is still up to you.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:29 AM   #5
PKS

I don't see any signs of body repair short of paint. It is overall in decent shape and the various paint jobs are old. I don't mind a survivor and the engine sounds great. Cost to rebuild front end? Steering is fairly tight with little play. The dump body is beat up but everything looks solid. Short of the rebuilt engine, new radiator, 6v alternator and some new wiring, rebuilt carburetor, everything else seems original and rough. Inside cab is quite rough but functional. Overall, a long way from a show piece. No garage so any work will have to be done driveway. I will go back and look for cracks in the frame and the rear end. Thank you.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:43 AM   #6
mhsprecher

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
8 seems high to me. I recall seeing restored Flatbeds for around 14. You don't see that many dumps, but they are less practical, unless you want to haul some dirt ;-)
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:54 AM   #7
SeaSlugs

Kingpins are probably worn out as are the shackles. If its just bushings it wouldn't be too bad but do need a reamer. BUT having said that its probably worn enough thru the bushing and now wearing into steel/castings which means replacement of parts that noone makes new. The shimmying can also be from your wishbone ball being worn out that connects to the bottom of the trans.

Also check the front spring for broken leafs - AA's were notoriously overloaded and put lots of stress on the leaf springs.

If you have a local club nearby id contact them - alot of the times someone has been there done that and could help you go over this truck.

DO you live somewhere dry? If you get alot of rain you better check the top to see if it leaks/looks like it leaks since you dont have a garage.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:45 AM   #8
PKS

8G seems high to me to. I like it but the shimmy is an indication of obvious front end work needed. Perhaps the rear end needs some work as well. Certainly there has been no work done to this truck in quite some time beyond the engine. No plans to haul anything. Just drive with the kids around town. Perhaps I will look for an A. Thanks for all your help. The AA is cool but an A may be a better choice.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:25 AM   #9
SeaSlugs

Quote:
8G seems high to me to. I like it but the shimmy is an indication of obvious front end work needed. Perhaps the rear end needs some work as well. Certainly there has been no work done to this truck in quite some time beyond the engine. No plans to haul anything. Just drive with the kids around town. Perhaps I will look for an A. Thanks for all your help. The AA is cool but an A may be a better choice.
I didn't mean to scare you off or anything but id hate for you to pay that kind of money and need another grand in work to be roadworthy when I know a better as is out there.

fyi the internals of the as rearends are very robust as long as no water got inside and fluid levels were topped off. Its just usually all the stuff that holds the rear end to the frame are worn out...

I hope you find something!
Old 05-29-2015, 12:50 PM   #10
PKS

Seaslugs; Thanks for your help. You did not scare me away. Thinking I should hold off for now until I find something more road ready and I am not so stretch budget wise.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:31 PM   #11
mhsprecher

Well, here is a early 28 dump that I think they were asking $2,500 at Hershey last fall. I have no idea whether it sold.

Are those wheels original?
Old 05-29-2015, 01:57 PM   #12
PKS

Question Re: AA Truck Worth

Gosh... based on the condition of that one, 8K seems like a steel for the one I am looking at.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:10 PM   #13
mhsprecher

It's the hood hold down that brings the cost up.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:16 PM   #14
Bob C

Going by the front axle and wheels it's an early 30.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:22 PM   #15
Brian T

The rear springs indicate its a 28-early 29, the front axle looks likes its been cobbled in, I think I still see the shock on the left side --- not worth the asking price with that oil leak, LOL.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:29 PM   #16
1crosscut

From what I have seen a really good restored AA truck goes for between 11 -$14,000. and the folks selling them in that condition are probably taking a bath selling them at that price for what they have in them.

At $8,000 based on your description I would say that is on the high side.
Pictures would help.

Where are you located? Someone may be nearby that could go look with you.
These trucks are a hoot to drive. Not a pile of them around so folks get a kick out of seeing them.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:51 PM   #17
1930artdeco

If just want to haul kids around town an A probably would be a better choice. If you plane to haul stuff then the AA can't be beat. Just remember they do not go fast at all unless you heavily modify them.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:51 PM   #18
PKS

Would not mind hauling some mulch or making trips to the dump. However, my concern would be as Seaslug pointed out. All the "stuff that hold the rear end to the frame" may be worn out. How big a job to replace and fix? Cost?
Old 05-29-2015, 09:36 PM   #19
SeaSlugs

pretty straight forward, just big heavy and bulky. Requires removal of leaf spring packs that can weigh 60# or more. To me looking at regular model A parts look so dainty in comparison.

Most of the stuff you can buy from suppliers like bushings, pins, shoulder bolts, etc but can add up very quickly. Check out snyders, MAC's, Berts, Brattons websites for AA Truck parts. Certain bushings can run $40 a piece, same with pins/bolts. You can source locally for these bushings too and save about half the cost but will require some modifications to be correct and work right.

Hardest job is the center pivot "stud". This is where the big ol spring pack pivots and entire back weight of the truck rests on. Like most AA's they probably havent been greased since they left the ford factory so have worn thru the bushing and worn into the metal on the leaf pack. Also the "stud" that's riveted to the frame rail is probably very egg shaped. That's the tricky bit to get fixed. Can be welded up then ground to correct size but is very time consuming.

You can get everything back to factory specs or get it mostly close (replace bushings but find least amount of wear used pins and such) and it will still outlast you so dont think you MUST replace everything but it does need addressed to make sure its not going to break on you.

Tool wise about all you need is big 1/2" drive stuff, hammers, punches, and standard hand tools. Ive beat the crap outa my 1/2" drive harbor freight impact sockets and work great so you dont have to spend bukoo bucks to get the job done. PB blaster and liquid wrench are your friends and will come in handy if you decide to go with it. Also heat and 3 jaw pullers sometimes. (sometimes that doesnt even work) Bigger the part harder it jams up haha.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:26 PM   #20
ian Simpson

[QUOTE=Synchro909;1093825]By the time you've owned it for a while, you'll forget what you paid for it
You probably missed the last one because you were reluctant to spend the $.If you really want an AA, go for it. The grim reaper might be just around the corner or a long way off but he gets us all eventually. Do it while you can.
"They don't put pockets in shrouds"[/QUOTE]

I am not going until I figure out how to take it all with me.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote