Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #21
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Generator shaft repair

I believe B-O-B has the best idea. Knurl the worn section of the shaft to uniformly raise that area enough to give something close to the original press fit for the ball bearing. We used a controlled staking operation (4 stakes placed symmetrically around the shaft at a controlled height) to hold lamination stacks on armature shafts (high volume universal electric motor manufacturing). These same stakes did not work that well to hold commutators and ball bearings in place because they caused stress concentrations in the areas where they contacted the commutator and ball bearing ID's. A knurl would spread the press fit load more evenly around the ID of these same parts. If you know someone who has a lathe and a knurling tool he could fix that shaft in no time for you. A light coating of Loctite on the knurl prior to pressing the bearing in place is also a good suggestion.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 12-30-2011 at 10:35 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:31 PM   #22
JonC

I may have been in error suggesting the thin sleeves, the problem is they (the sleeve) will deform to the shafts discrepency. Without seeing where the worn area is or how wide this area is it may not be the best approach. I would not use a prick punch and stake the shaft this will not produce a uniform condition and may lead to concentricity issues increasing vibration and shortening the life of a bearing. If repair is needed rather than replacement I would take it to a machine shop and have them turn the shaft down to accept the sleeve or make a new sleeve to install and remachine to the original size. This may cost more than the replacement and you need to determine that yourself.
JonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-31-2011, 09:40 AM   #23
Mike51Merc

I always say that we live in a disposable society today where nobody fixes stuff anymore. I try to take stuff apart and fix whatever is broken whenever I can.

That being said, I beleive some things are better replaced then repaired. I think an armature shaft is one of them. They're readily available and relatively cheap compared to the "fix-it" suggestions above. Plus, you'll have the confidence of a new part and not wonder whether the fix will hold out.

Edit: You mention your old shaft is scarred. You probably should figure out why it scarred before fixing anything else.

Last edited by Mike51Merc; 12-31-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote