Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #21
hardtimes

Default Re: Unrestored original. Worth more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudortomnz View Post
Thanks for all the replies. All good advice & which I probably knew as well.
Yes,just because it has low mileage does not mean it is a great original car, but this one is quite special. We are running out of good Model A's down here & guys are now importing cars from the US to fill the gap . It has been repainted in the '50's over the original black, not a great colour as is, but it has preserved it.
I actually photographed it in 1975 when it was still owned by the original familly in a farming town.
Tom
Tom,
Are you buds with quickchange Derek ? If so, I'd use his input/advice as he seems to be a very knowledgable 'mate' regarding Model As ,eh
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #22
peters180a/170b

I can only say i paid under $3,000.00 for a unrestored 1930 Briggs fordor standard[29,000 miles] that its body is solid , mostly everything is there less the interior ..The 29,000 miles shows up on the door jam [GULF Gas station ] with the mileage when serviced from 1962. and the frame is in super shape.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #23
Pilotdave

My 2c for what they are worth: Life is short. Opportunities to do things that bring us true happiness come along infrequently. If this car is one of those opportunities in your life, why not put THAT ahead of the dollars in your bank account?
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #24
JTW

They are only original ONCE, a good one in a cared for but used, preserved condition is worth alot more than an older pretty well done car but not as much as a professional points car. Then again it depends on the rarity of the model - a real scarce one in excellent original condition would go through the roof, where as a pro points car probably has a ceiling. This is an opinion for discussion not a fact.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:56 PM   #25
columbiA

Unless you know the history of the car,you dont know how many times the speedo has been around.About 25 years ago or so,there was a photo of a 30 coupe that had traveled over 600,000 miles by the original owner on his job of traveling to the farms all over Kansas.He always serviced it himself & it had gone thru 6 engines & the car still looked in decent condition. The photo was in the Restorer magazine.Who says that stock A,s are not reliable?
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:20 AM   #26
Tudortomnz

Thanks again for all the comments. I've just been talking again with the owner. He got it from the familly that purchased it new. It has all the hallmarks of a low mileage car ; unworn steering wheel ; unworn pedals [ RHD's have ribbed ,round pedals] aged but not worn original mohair interior;paint reminants on the engine;all the items that usually disappear after many owners ; great fitting & solid doors & very few dings on the fender/ mudguards.
We are still under negotiation.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote