Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-02-2020, 10:26 AM   #1
Del in NE Ohio

Default Transmission "jack" ?

Over the years I have successfully "bench pressed" numerous Model A transmissions into place. Now in my early 70's, I find that more and more difficult. I think I recall seeing in a MAFCA issue a few years ago, a simple adapter for a floor jack that used the drain plug hole on the transmission as a
lifting point Did any 'barners make one of these? or have you fabricated something that makes this an easier one man job?
Del in NE Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:52 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Transmission "jack" ?

The easier way IMO is to use an engine crane if you have one. This allows you to make two random length ⅜ bolts where the heads are cut off with a hacksaw and the bolt is sharpened. Screw the bolts into the flywheel housing a few threads to act as a guide. Because the bolts are two different lengths, you align the first one as you move the transmission/clutch housing forward, then once it is aligned, you align the second bolt. Now you can push forward as the main shaft indexes into the pilot bearing. Install a few of the regular length ⅜x1" bolts and remove the two bolts used as alignment pins. The crane enters through one side door, and you work from the top on the opposite side. Much easier I think than laying on your back trying to keep a transmission balanced on a floor jack.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:42 AM   #3
GPierce

I put the transmission on a roll around floor jack, no adapter needed, it was kind of balanced on the drain plug making it easy to adjust the tilt. Shoved it under the side of the A that was on jack stands. Got in the truck and straddled the transmission, one leg on each side. Directed my wive who was on jack handle outside the truck to raise, lower etc. Using alignment pins as Brent explained it, it took about five minutes of maneuvering to get it in. Did the same with the rear end. Jack on the banjo with my wife maneuvering it and me on the inside we got the drive shaft in the U joint.
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 01:52 PM   #4
Mulletwagon

Hey Del - I too know about 70+. I just changed out a clutch on my 31 by myself. I threaded in a short nipple into the drain plug hole on the trans and then lowered the assembly on to my floor jack after removing the turntable. Simple and worked great. I think we can do anything we did in our 20s - just takes longer to recover. Good Luck.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote