Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
Bruce_MO

Default Pinstriping question

I will soon pinstripe my '30 tudor, using 1-Shot enamel and the special two part masking tape with a 3/32" width . What solvent would I use to wipe off any mistakes? Mineral spirits? The car is painted with acrylic enamel/hardener, and I don't want to damage the finish.

Thanks
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Pinstriping question

That information should be on the paint can.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Bruce prior to starting, wash the whole area with Wax & Grease Remover. Next, apply the layout tape like you want it and remove the center stripe. Using a grey Scotchbrite, lightly run down the tape which will press on the edges and lightly scuff the exposed paint in the center. Be extra careful and do not get over-zealous with that step! Following that, use Wax & Grease Remover again along with a clean cloth to wipe the surface clean. I would use a cold enamel reducer to wipe off any 'boo-boos', however if you are quick, you can also use economical thinner but repeated usage of the thinner can soften the acrylic enamel where the enamel reducer if much more forgiving.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
Louis

Bruce,
Just my opin. If you have a nice looking car, Take it to someone who pinstrips by hand, thats the way it was done org. check around at the lcl. auto paint and body shops, im sure you will find a few who still pinstripe by hand.
I had my 31 coupe done a few mo's. ago, it does cost more, But it sure looks great.
Before you try and spray paint it, look at one done by hand.
When you find someone to do it ask to see some of his work.
I paid $225 to have mine done, that also included the dash.
It only add's to the value of your car to have it done right. JMHO.

Last edited by Louis; 05-04-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
Bruce_MO

Thanks to all for the feedback!
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
LukeDahlinger
BANNED

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I second the pinstripe by hand method. I don't use any tape, etc. Just a Mack "Sword Striper" brush, some mixed paint with a touch of retarder mixed in and get on it.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i third the hand stripe
maybe someone can help you with a reputable hand stripper in your area.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:13 PM   #8
peters180a/170b

Jim Brand [by hand] GREAT JOB ! You will see him at just about all National Meets with cars lined up for his service. But you are quite far away so do what Brent said but when you [SCUFF the exposed paint in the middle of the tape ] i use white rubbing compound.And again after you paint between the lines and the paint is dry i go over it again lighty with white rubbing compound to remove the edge up against the tape.Good luck
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
1931 flamingo

Find some hot rodders/rat rodders or bikers in your area. many of them have some beautiful stripes on them, they can refer you to the striper(s) in your area.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:27 PM   #10
elmitcheristo

I use kerosene or mineral spirits to wipe off One Shot. These aren't as harsh on your paint and will still "cut" the One Shot. Just be sure to wipe off the "mistakes" as soon as possible. If it sits too long, you can have "ghost" lines that are very hard to get rid of.

As a side note, I would 2nd finding a professional for this job if you don't have alot of experience with striping. It's amazing what a difference a professional job will make. It's even more amazing what a mess you can make if you don't know what you're doing (personal experience).

-Mitch
elmitcheristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:28 AM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmitcheristo View Post
I use kerosene or mineral spirits to wipe off One Shot. These aren't as harsh on your paint and will still "cut" the One Shot. Just be sure to wipe off the "mistakes" as soon as possible. If it sits too long, you can have "ghost" lines that are very hard to get rid of.

As a side note, I would 2nd finding a professional for this job if you don't have alot of experience with striping. It's amazing what a difference a professional job will make. It's even more amazing what a mess you can make if you don't know what you're doing (personal experience).

-Mitch
Great advice!!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:05 PM   #12
chiliman

Bruce if your in Missouri check out Bob Bonds web site He is in Lee's Summit out side of Kc does great work
chiliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:56 AM   #13
Chris Stapley

I use varsol exclusively when striping with One-Shot Enamel. Have for years, use it for cleanups as well. Do yourself a favor and don't have it done with finesse striping mask, it will not look authentic but rather cheap. May as well use vinyl tape as the finished product then. Sort of like painting a resto'd vehicle with base clear paint, nice and shiny but very phony looking. Lots of good stripers out there who will do it right for not much dough.As Chillman has mentioned Bob Bond will do an excellent job, he's very professional and extremely talented.
Chris.
Chris Stapley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #14
Brendan1959

You cold try a pinstriping machine, I just bought one and It arrived yesterday, it came with a magnetic guide for long stripes. I have only tried it on some scrap but it seemed easy to use and a very uniform stripe.

"The Beugler lining and striping tool was invented by S.B. Beugler in 1934, and patented in early 1935. The Beugler Striper has been continuously manufactured in the U.S.A. ever since.

The Beugler lining tool is in use worldwide for a very broad range of applications including: autos; motorcycles; bicycles; trucks; boats; planes; carriages; classic, vintage and veteran vehicles of all kinds; model engineering; models; steam and stationary engines; fine arts; ceramics; wood working; antiques; decorative painting; screen printing and fabrics; etc".

Regards
Brendan

Brendan1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:26 PM   #15
pooch

I second the beugler for DIY.

I think you will find normal gas (petrol) or wax and grease remover (prepsol) will wipe off any fresh mistakes and leave it clean and not affect the original paint at all.

Kero and turps is a little more greasier.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:03 PM   #16
Bruce,Upstate NY

Mechanical stripers were available in the late teens, so someone must have used them.
Bruce,Upstate NY is offline   Reply With Quote