Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-09-2019, 03:09 PM   #1
poolplayer1

Default 55 Ford station wagon parking brake info.

Hello everybody here at the forum. My 55 wagon has some missing parts on the parking brake system.I have the handle that you pull to brake and the cable that goes from the handle to the center mounting cross-member but thats it. I'm missing the cable that goes from the cross-member to both rear wheels and I think there is some kind of rod that hooks up to that main cable. Does anyone have a drawing of the parking brake parts that can post here so that I can see what parts i need to order. Maybe part #'s too but if not thats ok as long as I have a description of the parts that I need for the parking brake.
I think that both the 55 ford wagon and the 55 ford car uses the same parts.
Thanks for your help.
poolplayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:07 PM   #2
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: 55 Ford station wagon parking brake info.

No there are differences in length of cable depending upon which model.
You need the '54-56 wagon rear portion of emergency brake cable part # B5A-2A635-B, $82.99. You will also need two retainer clips part # 8M-2814, $3.49 each and one half-moon adjustment nut part # 8A-2091, $7.49
All available from Mac's Auto Parts. They also sell shop manuals for this car which has excellent illustrations and assembly instructions. A good investment if you are planning to keep the car as a hobby, and a must if you are using it as a daily driver.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:40 AM   #3
poolplayer1

Thank you very much Dave. Apreciate your help with this info. I will go to the Mac's website and order the parts needed.
poolplayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:07 PM   #4
40cpe

If you google the part number you will/might find other vendors and pricing, especially shipping prices.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:27 PM   #5
Daves55Sedan

Hate to say it, but the new cable that you get from the resto parts suppliers does NOT include the specially shaped horseshoe, adjustment bar and keeper pin that go on the front end of the cable.
Those have to be removed from and old broken cable and re-used with your new cable. But if all that was missing, I don't know what to tell ya.
The horseshoe is kinda difficult to get on because you need to pry the ends open to get the old cable out and permit entrance of the new cable, then you need to press each end back together to keep the cable inside the horseshoe. I think I used my workbench vice when I did mine.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote