Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-18-2019, 11:52 AM   #1
Dirtrack49

Default Standard Interior in a 30 Town Sedan?

Hi All,

Thinking about purchasing a 1930 Briggs Town Sedan (155D). Complete amateur restoration done over the last 14 years or so. Car looks good in and out. Mechanical all rebuilt.

Problem one, interior appears to be a standard fordor trim in gray? I don't believe this is correct. Problem two, exterior is two tone gray? Maybe copra and chicle drab?

What do you all think?

Thanks,
Tom L.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1930 Town Sedan dash.jpg (41.9 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg 1930 Town Sedan rr seat.jpg (29.0 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg 1930 Town Sedan rt ft.jpg (52.2 KB, 164 views)
Dirtrack49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:57 AM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Standard Interior in a 30 Town Sedan?

Depends on how much $$$$.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:59 AM   #3
30 Closed Cab PU

Does he have records/reciepts of the work/parts used?
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:05 PM   #4
Y-Blockhead

The back seat and side panels are not Town Sedan. The Town Sedan has a drop down arm rest in the middle and arm rests on both rear side panels. Is your dome light over the rear seat?

The dash rail and window trim should be wood grain paint. the gas tank/dash board should be pin striped.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 07-18-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:32 PM   #5
Dirtrack49

Car does not have rear armrest. Don't remember if there is a dome light over the seat.
In the pictures the seats look kind of brown although they are also gray. When I look up information on interiors, I see that this color was available for town sedans, however, I believe it was only for Murray. I also see that this gray interior combination was available on the standard fordor 3 window sedan.
The owner says it is a town sedan. Parts of it looks like and smells like town sedan.
Car is being sold at what I would consider a reasonable price. However, if the paint and interior are too far off, maybe not so reasonable.
Another pic of the exterior.
Thanks again,
Tom L.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1930 Town Sedan rt rr.jpg (49.0 KB, 87 views)
Old 07-18-2019, 03:52 PM   #6
1930artdeco

It is possible the owner converted a standard into townsedan. What Y said is correct. The main thing is the wood if you are not familiar with these cars. There is a lot of wood in them. I am not sure but I don’t think ford differentiated between Briggs and Murray in colors or interiors.

Mike
Old 07-18-2019, 04:32 PM   #7
Y-Blockhead

Wood...

Old 07-18-2019, 04:53 PM   #8
Dirtrack49

Thanks for all the feedback so far.
This will be my first Model A. Yes, I am aware of all the wood in these cars. I had thought about the lighter A's, but I like the looks of the fordors. From what I saw of the car, all of the door lines were well lined up. Opening and closing of the doors was very precise compared to others that I have seen.
I guess my real problem is authenticity. My other old cars are all matching numbers straight stock. For example, the Model T in my avatar has the original matching engine. Added accessories are the period taxi cab bumpers and rear view mirror. The side curtains are custom made so they are not as original. But as far as the rest of the car, it has been maintained as when it was originally built.
If I can live with the incorrect interior, does the exterior look correct?
Maybe I am being a little bit too picky???
Tom L.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:59 PM   #9
Dick Carne

This car appears to have the window garnish mouldings of a Town Sedan. As for the rear seat back and drop down center armrests, these could be swapped out if that level of accuracy were required. However, from an "accuracy" perspective, it might be simpler to just remove the window garnish mouldings and revert to the Standard Fordor model. Town Sedans had a dome light centered over the rear seat - standard models had one pretty much centered over the front seat back.

As best as I can tell from the pictures, the car appears to be painted Chicle and Copra Drab - this combination would have been available in either the Standard Fordor or Town Sedan models. Straw would have been the stripe color.

As with many of these old gentlemen, if you are looking for a high points car, this car probably does not meet that standard. However, if it is your intention to find a very nice "driver" that makes a respectable appearance, then I think that this candidate more than meets that criteria. This car appears to be a Briggs body ... my '29 Briggs Town Sedan has more leg room than any other Model A that I have and still has some room for an additional front seat extension if necessary. Bottom line, if you are looking for a nice "driver" fordor, I think that you would be quite pleased to add this one to your collection.
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:12 PM   #10
Dirtrack49

Thanks Dick, that really helps a lot.
If you get a chance to read this reply, what are your thoughts concerning the interior?
I think I can live with no armrest in the rear seat area, but having the gray interior vs. more of a brown or green mohair that was evidently offered on town sedans, kind of bothers me. Bye the by, we settled a price just above 15k. Does that seem in the ballpark for a not so right Town Sedan?
Thanks again,
Tom L.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:48 PM   #11
TerryH

I have a 1930 Town Sedan that I have owned for over 13 years now, and it was painted in Copra Chicle and Copra Drab. From what I have seen over the years is many variations of those colors, but I have never seen one as grey as this. I am attaching a photo of mine for reference, but others have differing shades of color. My mohair interior is also brown, along with the wood grained window garnishes and dash rail. Note also that the Town Sedans had pin stripping around the tops of the doors, along the beltline, and also on the perimeter of the gas tank inside the car. Also, the exterior window reveals are painted the lighter body color. So this car is missing some of the interior pieces, some are not correctly finished, and the exterior does not look like true Chicle and Drab, nor is it striped correctly.
However, it does look quite nice, and appears to be nicely done. Having good wood and properly aligned and closing doors is a big deal. The Town Sedans are very comfortable for a Model A, and are great driving or touring cars, and I happen to like their looks. You haven’t mentioned the mechanicals much....have you driven the car? Has he shown you invoices for all the work done, or did he do it himself? A good radiator, properly functioning brakes, freshly re-built engine, and a clean gas tank should all be there for that money, as well as good transmission and rear end. The various issues aren’t necessarily deal breakers, unless they matter to you, or will bother you not being correct for a Town Sedan. But I would suggest that you be given some discount as it’s not really correct either.....please feel to message me if I can be of further help or if you want to discuss more....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E59D669C-2D31-415E-A1EC-353201AB1B52.jpg (79.6 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by TerryH; 07-18-2019 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Comments
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:53 PM   #12
Tudortomnz

Looks to be a Briggs std. Fordor with window trims added. If it has a centre roof round dome lamp, it was originally a standard & if with an oval lamp over rear seat , a Town Sedan. Why so concerned with authentic interior/paint? Are you going in for fine point? That is a lovely Fordor at a good price in my book.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:01 PM   #13
TerryH

I think folks are just answering his questions.....there was no discussion of fine points, and we all mentioned it was up to him....if he doesn’t care.....great.....

Last edited by TerryH; 07-18-2019 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 07-18-2019, 11:37 PM   #14
Dirtrack49

Thanks again for the great feedback from everyone!
I also like the looks of the vehicle overall. I need to convince myself that this vehicle is simply a driver with several items that are not correct, or, drop the idea of acquiring it all together.
I guess my real problem is I always wonder why some people need to go off original on their restorations. If you're taking the time and effort to do a painstaking job of putting something back together, why not research it and go back to how it was to begin with?
I just find it kind of odd when I see something like a Model A that has fenders that are not black. Just like seeing a Model T painted white.
To each their own.
Thanks again for all the great feedback. Anymore thoughts or input greatly appreciated.
Tom L.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:45 PM   #15
Dirtrack49

Well I went and did it!

Took another look at this car and just had to have it.

It may not be all correct, and I may never make it that way, but it sure was done well.

This is my first Model A and I am loving it!

Thanks to all of you folks that helped me out.

Kind of odd, this car shows up a different color depending on the time of day and background.

Tom L.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1930 Town Sedan right.jpg (64.2 KB, 37 views)
Old 07-27-2019, 05:38 PM   #16
TerryH

Tom
Congrats on getting your first Model A. You and I spoke on the phone, and it sounds like your car was quite nicely done, and am sure you will enjoy. I enjoy my Town Sedan so much that I drive it several times a week.....best of luck with it!
Old 07-27-2019, 11:23 PM   #17
Y-Blockhead

Congratulations Tom. I am sure you will enjoy your Town Sedan. We have great fun in our "Big" car, carrying around big and little people.