Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-19-2017, 08:53 PM   #1
REByar

Default Rebuilt carb or newly built carb

Four years ago i purchased my 1928 Tudor. It had been cosmetically
restored but mechanically i knew it needed some work. After cleaning the fuel system completely i took off the carb and sent it to one of the well respected vendors for an exchange for a rebuilt carb. I thought rebuilt ment a combination of referb original parts and some new parts. But even with this replacement carb the car did not run well. As you might have read before i have had backfire problems, carb flooding, too high an rpm idle, too low an rpm idle(resulting in stalling everytime i came to a stop), unable to get it into first because of the high idle or grinding gears to get into first even when the GAV is turned all the way to the right. I had done everything i knew to do and took everybody's advice in trying to fix the problem. So i had replaced or reset everything except the carb. I sent the carb to a rebuilder and within a few days he calls me and says this is a poorly built new reproduction carb. I then purchased an original rebuilt carb and the car runs great. Has anybody else had this issue before?
REByar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:02 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Rebuilt carb or newly built carb

I would have given the original vendor another crack at it. An employee might have mixed up the "to be rebuilt" with the "finished rebuilt" shelf.

Maybe the new guy bashed the old guy to upsell you another carb.

We can play the maybe game on forever. Did you at least tell the original vendor that you had a problem and went elsewhere for a carb that runs well?
Old 05-20-2017, 10:02 AM   #3
REByar

Default Re: Rebuilt carb or newly built carb

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
No I did not go back to the original vendor. It has been 3 years and I do not have this particular receipt. But I remember the specific vendor and the person I spoke to as I exchanged a 1931 sidebowl for a standard Zenith (1928-1930) carb. At first they were not sure they needed a 1931 sidebowl but he called me the next day and said he would do the exchange-no problem. I thought a fair exchange.

I guess my question is about items listed as rebuilt and they are actually newly built. Would I have the same issue with a different vendor? I need my starter rebuilt. I was going to do the same thing, with a different vendor of course, but will it be rebuilt or newly built reproduction starter.

I have purchased many items the original vendor but they have always been new parts. But when the carb rebuilder took apart my carb he quickly discovered the casting was poorly done and the inside had not been treated. Because of the poor casting the top section did not fit well with the lower section and even with the gasket I had multiple air leaks. I was told this would explain the various idle issues and the poor acceleration I had.
Thanks for your thoughts.
REB
REByar is offline   Reply With Quote