Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-09-2019, 06:22 PM   #1
Nutch11

Default What glue?

Restoring my vent windows "61" Starliner. Bought some cloth to do the window channel that is part of the vent frame. anyone have glue recommendations?
Nutch11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:29 AM   #2
Ford blue blood

Default Re: What glue?

Found a way to "restore" those channels. I use a small wire brush to clean out the old worn liner. Wash down real well with lacquer thinner followed by denatured alcohol. Once dry install the loop portion of Velcro, the self sticky stuff, and you have a perfect channel. To manage the sticky stuff I cut it into three strips. Put the bottom in first, then the sides. I used a window screen bead roller to set the stuff hard. A razor in the slot between the stainless bead and th top of the channel will cut it perfectly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ranch build 219.jpg (61.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Ranch build 223.jpg (59.0 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Ranch build 224.jpg (40.7 KB, 71 views)

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:44 AM   #3
5851a

Not sure on the glue. But Blue Blood that ingenious.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:59 PM   #4
fordor41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford blue blood View Post
Found a way to "restore" those channels. I use a small wire brush to clean out the old worn liner. Wash down real well with lacquer thinner followed by denatured alcohol. Once dry install the loop portion of Velcro, the self sticky stuff, and you have a perfect channel. To manage the sticky stuff I cut it into three strips. Put the bottom in first, then the sides. I used a window screen bead roller to set the stuff hard. A razor in the slot between the stainless bead and th top of the channel will cut it perfectly.
That's exactly how I did my '60 Ford channels. Found some 2" wide "industrial" self adhesive Velcro at Jo-Ann fabrics. Once stuck it's impossible to remove or reposition. Also used only the "loop" portion.

Last edited by fordor41; 12-12-2019 at 11:20 PM.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:34 AM   #5
56sedandelivery

Quote:

Does that create a tight fit for the glass? I used the setting tape that is sold and it took a good tap with a mallet to seal the glass. It will not be moving around.
56sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:01 PM   #6
rotorwrench

I think he is referring to the fuzzy channel for the roll up glass just behind the vent window. At least that's the way I read it. The actual vent window glass would use the tape.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:09 PM   #7
56sedandelivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I think he is referring to the fuzzy channel for the roll up glass just behind the vent window. At least that's the way I read it. The actual vent window glass would use the tape.

Ah. Got it.
56sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:07 PM   #8
Daves55Sedan

I don't know if they offer it for the 61 models, but earlier years you can get the repro fuzzy channel that comes with new rivets. You just drill out the old rivets and remove the worn out fuzzy channel from the stainless steel frame. Measure the original piece to cut off the bottom of your new channel to fit and then rivet in with the new rivets. There is no glue required for that type installation.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:29 AM   #9
Nutch11

What a great idea. Went to Home Depot bought 15' by 3/4" velcro. Split the first length for the bottoms, used full width for sides and trimmed as suggested. No glue, no dryimg time. The perfect answer to this question.
Thanks for sharing your idea!
Nutch11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 12:41 PM   #10
bobss396

You could try the black 3M weatherstrip adhesive, 08001 or 08008, pretty sure I have the 08008 at home. Glue it and put a piece of glass or thin plywood in the channel to keep it in place while it sets up.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 07:07 AM   #11
Jeff Norwell

Quote:

Bill. fantastic idea. using this idea now as I am doing the vent windows in my 57 custom
Thank you!
Jeff Norwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 07:20 AM   #12
russonator

Quote:
Very creative, Bill. I'm gonna adopt your method when the time comes. Thanks for sharing it here.

Russ
russonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 07:25 AM   #13
ventport

At the collection I work at we buy the rolls of the stuff made for re lining the window channels. After cleaning and repainting the channels, we use 3M spray adhesive on the channels and the back side of the liner. Cut a piece of wood the correct size to fit into the channel with the liner wrapped around it, and force the liner into the channel.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 06:54 PM   #14
Gene F

Put wax paper over your 1/4" or 3/8" plywood just in case any glue seeps through.

FYI, I have a 57, and the felt door glass runners are bind rivited.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 09:53 PM   #15
fordor41

first time I tried the velcro trick, I tried gluing the inside of the channel and wrapping the velcro around a piece of wood but it would stick to one side or the other and twist in the channel. finally I went to self adhesive velcro as Ford Blue Blood did and worked perfectly.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 12:40 AM   #16
evintho

Cool Re: What glue?

Yep, just finished both my vent windows using the loop section. The windows roll up smoothly. It came out great! The industrial strength adhesive backing is super sticky and isn't going anywhere!

https://www.amazon.com/GOHOOK-Inch-S...068727249&th=1

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...1&d=1680932359
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010002 (2).jpg (70.1 KB, 12 views)
evintho is offline   Reply With Quote