Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-16-2020, 08:19 AM   #1
Merc Cruzer

Default Picture of Holley carburetor float adjustment tool 9550-E

Does anyone have picture of the Holley 1901 float adjustment tool? I would like to make one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9383.jpg (42.2 KB, 147 views)
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:50 PM   #2
scicala

Default Re: Picture of Holley carburetor float adjustment tool 9550-E

The first time I saw a tool for that was now in your post. I've been doing carbs with that style float for a long time, and have no problem doing it without a special tool.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:59 PM   #3
51 MERC-CT

I suspect that this was a tool that was offered to dealership mechanics in the
'52-'53 time frame.

It would have worked on the '49-'51 885's also but I have not seen any reference to one in any of the manuals.
The tool probably was used (if at all) minimally and was probably tossed into the tool box where it remained unused until discarded or nobody could remember what it was used for.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:11 PM   #4
51 MERC-CT

(duplicate post)
Old 02-17-2020, 09:40 AM   #5
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
The first time I saw a tool for that was now in your post. I've been doing carbs with that style float for a long time, and have no problem doing it without a special tool.

Sal
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
I suspect that this was a tool that was offered to dealership mechanics in the
'52-'53 time frame.

It would have worked on the '49-'51 885's also but I have not seen any reference to one in any of the manuals.
The tool probably was used (if at all) minimally and was probably tossed into the tool box where it remained unused until discarded or nobody could remember what it was used for.

I too have been doing it without the tool, but thought it might be interesting to try it with one. Obviously, I am doing it with the carburetor on the engine and in the car and the top off. Sometimes it gets to be a bit of a challenge, kneeling on the front bumper and reaching over the radiator and fan to get to the float.

I was just hoping someone might have one sitting in their tool box, that worked in a dealership back in the day, that I could get a picture of, to make one. It seams allot of the guys collect the original tools that were made for the cars.

I think I might be able to make one, based on what is in the picture, from the book. This would be a good thing to duplicate on a 3D printer, since it is small.

A long time ago, I had a shop in Ferndale, Michigan, and it seemed that there were tool and dye shops on every corner, so it was easy to get what ever you wanted made. I miss that.

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 02-17-2020 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:59 AM   #6
flatheadmurre

Didnīt snap-on make a lot of the carb tools...atleast most my float gauges are from them...so maybe you can take a look in one of their old special tool catalogues.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:34 AM   #7
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadmurre View Post
Didnīt snap-on make a lot of the carb tools...atleast most my float gauges are from them...so maybe you can take a look in one of their old special tool catalogues.
Thank you for the reply, I will try a search on e-bay under "snap-on old special tool - carburetor tools".

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 02-17-2020 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:24 PM   #8
scicala

You might want to search for auto tools on EBAY. Don't remember the seller's ID but there was a guy selling specialty automotive tools. I bought a Snap-On tool from him for tightening and removing the large brass threaded cap that goes over the float valve. Now that tool comes in handy to avoid damaging the slot in the brass cap.

Sal
Old 02-17-2020, 01:14 PM   #9
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
You might want to search for auto tools on EBAY. Don't remember the seller's ID but there was a guy selling specialty automotive tools. I bought a Snap-On tool from him for tightening and removing the large brass threaded cap that goes over the float valve. Now that tool comes in handy to avoid damaging the slot in the brass cap.

Sal
It was an interesting search, but unfortunately, no luck.

Thanks for the direction though.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:01 PM   #10
scicala

"A long time ago, I had a shop in Ferndale, Michigan, and it seemed that there were tool and dye shops on every corner, so it was easy to get what ever you wanted made. I miss that."

Sorry it didn't work out for you with the tool search. I live pretty close to Ferndale (all of my life). I'm in Shelby Township, MI. I grew up in Detroit and Warren, MI. Warren at one time was the city in the US with the most automotive related job shops and suppliers. Now it's a ghost town of vacated buildings and not much industry like it once had. I give the credit to a certain US President that made it attractive for US manufactures to move business off shore. Nice job.

Sal
Old 02-17-2020, 04:10 PM   #11
Merc Cruzer

The tool you are looking for was a Kent-Moore tool and discontinued before 1960, so good luck. You can simply use a good set of needle nose pliers to set the float level adjustment according to the specifications.
Thank You!
RON
DAYTONA PARTS COMPANY
1191 TURNBULL BAY ROAD
NEW SMYRNA BEACH, FL 32168
PH:386-427-7108
FX:386-423-8528
www.daytonaparts.com

On 2/17/2020 12:59 PM, Roy Lange wrote:

Have you ever seen this tool ( 9550-E ), used to set the float height on a Holley EAC 9510 carburetor, used in the 1953 Mercury's? Any suggestions as to where I could locate one?
Old 02-18-2020, 02:16 PM   #12
RalphG

I don't know if you have the Holley carburetor manual for these cars but it is available to search online. They mention a Snap-On tool MC-140 as the float adjustment tool for the "teapot" Holley 1901 carburetor.
http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/m...901195238.html
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:00 PM   #13
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
I don't know if you have the Holley carburetor manual for these cars but it is available to search online. They mention a Snap-On tool MC-140 as the float adjustment tool for the "teapot" Holley 1901 carburetor.
http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/m...901195238.html
RalphG,

Thank you, I will be begin accordingly for the Snap-On MC140.

My search on the internet, turned up nothing. So I wrote to Snap-On:

In a message dated 2/20/2020 9:41:45 AM Mountain Standard Time, [email protected] writes:CAUTION: This email originated from outside of Snap-on. Do not click on links or open attachments unless you have validated the sender, even if it is a known contact. Contact the sender by phone to validate the contents.

Good Morning-This is no longer a valid Snap On item, and is no longer available to be purchase. Please feel free to visit our website to find an alternative item or if your company has an industrial account with us feel free to reach out to your industrial sales representative for assistance with a suitable alternative item.

Thank you for contacting Snap-on.

Holly Steinke Snap-on Industrial Crystal Lake ETI Team
3011 IL Route 176Crystal Lake, IL 60014
Snap-on Traditional Industrial Customer Service: 877-740-1900
Snap-on Industrial Brands Customer Service: 800-446-7404
Fax: 877-740-1880Email:

[email protected] Website: www.snapon.com/industrial Online Catalog: http://www.bluetoad.com/publication/?i=62083 -----Original Message-----From: [email protected]: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 9:45:46 AMTo: [email protected]: Snap-On tool # MC-140CAUTION: This email originated from outside of Snap-on. Do not click on links or open attachments unless you have validated the sender, even if it is a known contact. Contact the sender by phone to validate the contents.

I am looking for Snap-On tool # MC-140. It was a tool designed to adjust a Holley EAC 9510 carburetor float, back in the 50's. Is there a picture of the tool?

Thank you,

Roy Lange

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 02-20-2020 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:45 AM   #14
Merc Cruzer

I know there is a multitude of ways to adjust the float height, as previously posted. But since I am normally knees on the front bumper, leaning over the fan and generator, to get to the carburetor, I wanted to be able to work with a single tool that I could hold between two fingers.

Since neither the Snap-On tool # MC-140 or the Kent-Moor tool are being made and it appears no one has one they want to sell, I decided to make my own. I took a 5/16 X 7" bolt and cut the threads and head off. I then cut a slot in the end. This can be done many ways to achieve the correct width of cut. I put two blades on a hack saw, at the same time, and proceeded to cut the slot. This worked perfectly. Then you bend the bottom 3/4" of the bolt, a little more than 90 degrees. It doesn't have the cross hatching as pictured in the book, but it works perfectly. Cost: around $2.00 for the bolt.

Thank you all for your postings.

End Post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9453.jpg (45.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9458.jpg (84.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9452.jpg (44.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9449.jpg (77.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9460.jpg (37.6 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 02-23-2020 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:54 PM   #15
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post

Since neither the Snap-On tool # MC-140 or the Kent-Moor tool are being made and it appears no one has one they want to sell, I decided to make my own.
End Post
Very interesting. And innovative too. I've never tried to adjust the float on my "teapot" but now I see how its done should I ever need to.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:40 AM   #16
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
Since neither the Snap-On tool # MC-140 or the Kent-Moor tool are being made and it appears no one has one they want to sell, I decided to make my own.
As simple as that is to make it might explain at least partly why they are no longer for sell.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote