Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-19-2019, 04:53 PM   #1
johndee138

Default steering loose/sloppy

While driving my 36 the other day I noticed I had to frequently correct my steering path on a poorly paved road. I want to correct any sloppiness in the steering before I take this car out and run it up past 35mph.
I decided to make a check of the linkages. The tie rod was snug and not able to get any movement by hand, However, I was able to wiggle the drag link,by hand. the nuts are tight and the tapers are well seated.
I had replaced the king pin bushes a few years back when I converted the car to hydraulic brakes. The steering box has been replaced with a rebuilt 37 unit at that same time. The drag link hasn't been replaced by me so no idea of its condition.
Should I replace the drag link to tighten up all this linkage? Is the above mentioned movement normal, or an indication of wear needing replacement?
Steering stabilizers have also been mentioned on FB. Is that another addition to consider?
johndee138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:58 PM   #2
Henry Hopper

Default Re: steering loose/sloppy

Have you tried adjusting the steering box.... there is a really good section on the VanpeltSales site that explains the process.I rebuilt a 37 box for my 36 and set it up via this method... drove like a dream.

Here it is;http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...stmt-notes.htm

Last edited by Henry Hopper; 12-19-2019 at 05:04 PM.
Henry Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:02 PM   #3
40cpe

With the car sitting still, there should be minimal slack in the steering before the wheels start to move. Maybe an inch or so slack of the steering wheel. If more, have someone rock the wheel back and forth while you look at the drag link and tie rod joints for slack.
Old bias ply tires can contribute to the conditions you describe. If all seems tight in the steering, consider a tow-in setting and maybe new front tires.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:33 PM   #4
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Check the ball on the end of the wishbone to. also possible front spring tension and shackle sway ,

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:39 PM   #5
philipswanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
With the car sitting still, there should be minimal slack in the steering before the wheels start to move. Maybe an inch or so slack of the steering wheel.
An inch would be WAY too much for me. I would divide that in half. I hate loose steering.

Last edited by philipswanson; 12-19-2019 at 07:46 PM.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:20 PM   #6
drolston

If you were able to wiggle the drag link by hand, that may be the culprit. Look closely at each tie rod and drag link end as someone moves the steering wheel back and forth. Any perceptible motion between the ball and the pin is grounds for replacement.

About an +- inch of play at the wheel rim, with the wheels perfectly straight ahead, is pretty normal. Much less than that might mean the worm and sector in the steering box are set too tight, risking wear or binding. If you park with the wheels turned, there can be a lot more play, but it does not show up when driving because steering loads keep the sector tight to one side of the worm.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:31 PM   #7
50fordcoupeman

Different direction on this issue. I designed and built roads for a career. Not all (even brand new) roads are built equal. I would not change anything without driving your car on at least one if not two other roads to see if the problem still persists. There is a brand section of freeway near here. The first time I drove my brand new Cad on this section, I thought the car must lost air in at least two tires. I have heard many complaints about this road. I dont think my avatar could navigate this road!! Good luck..........
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:15 AM   #8
Frank Miller

Have someone wiggle the steering wheel while you inspect the linkage. Preferably with the wheels on the ground. You can grab the pitman arm and see if it is in the box. See if the drag link moves proportional to the pitman arm and so forth.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:24 PM   #9
Viv W

Before you start adjusting your steering box, I would recommend that you take apart the drag link and the tierod ends and see if the balls are worn. Also a spring inside these units may have broken. Had the same problem recently on a model A and it was just a broken spring in a tierod end.
Viv.
Viv W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:05 PM   #10
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanson View Post
An inch would be WAY too much for me. I would divide that in half. I hate loose steering.
I agree, I think I have about 1/8 inch of steering wheel play on my '47 after I adjusted the steering box and replaced the king pins.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:06 PM   #11
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
Have someone wiggle the steering wheel while you inspect the linkage. Preferably with the wheels on the ground. You can grab the pitman arm and see if it is in the box. See if the drag link moves proportional to the pitman arm and so forth.
Solid advice here.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:22 PM   #12
Mart

A barner had a similar problem recently and it was either the steering box bolts or the steering box bracket to frame fixings. so that's something else worth looking at.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote