Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-07-2016, 08:11 AM   #1
JimnOhio

Default Help determining fair value

I have been looking into an advertised A, the car is more than a 5 hour drive from my location. I have yet to make the trip to see it in person. The owner says that it last ran in 95, claims that he cleaned the tank, installed new filter shutoff and line. Also cleaned the carburetor. But then he admits it is still not running. He has provided additional photos when asked. His price is close to comparable cars that are running.

The latest photos now show the rust around the gas tank fill area. I guess I'm just talking myself out of this one. How much less should the car be valued having not run in 20 years?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161005_163019_833[1].jpg (26.1 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161005_162528_079[1].jpg (21.9 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161005_162459_193[1].jpg (41.1 KB, 242 views)
JimnOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:15 AM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: Help determining fair value

More pictures will help and what is he asking ? Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:25 AM   #3
ronn

what is your time worth?
then there is the unknown of if the engine is any good?

better buy a running car unless you are getting 40% off.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:35 PM   #4
Charlie Stephens

If the engine doesn't run I would assume it needs a complete rebuild. If it has been sitting for 20 years a lot of damage can occur especially if the water was not drained out of the radiator. Plus if the engine is not running you can not try the brakes and transmission. Did he say why it was not driven in the last 20 years?

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:41 PM   #5
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Agree with Charles. You have to assume it will need an engine, rear or trans, or maybe all... The tank could be screwed with rust or whatever they supposedly used to fix / seal it...
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:30 PM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I assume a good running driver is about 10-12 grand here in Florida depending on the closed body style.

Knowing that a car will sell for much more money then one that will not run and seeing that he has been unable to get this one running, I would assume rebuild in in order, 4,000. Now add another grand for misc stuff to get it running and stopping and assuming the interior is in usable shape I come to 5-7 grand TOPS. This also assumes I would want to keep the car for a number of years to enjoy and not try to flip.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:37 PM   #7
tbirdtbird
BANNED

I have yet to see anyone get the whole story up front.
Beware.......agree totally with the posters who already responded
Old 10-07-2016, 11:59 PM   #8
CWPASADENA

I agree with Mike about value.

What ever you do, unless it is a very special body style, be sure the car is solid and not something with a lot of poorly repaired rust or other such issues.

Mechanical components can be repaired but rust or other issues of this nature can be very expensive and time consuming to correct.

Buy a good solid car to start with.

My opinion,

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:03 AM   #9
Terry, NJ

"It ran when I parked it!" Who hasn't heard these words? So start the flippin' thing up and let's hear it run again! Oh you can't be bothered! Oh Kay. What I fear the most with non-running cars is concealment of a cracked block. Even a worn out engine is salvageable. But now you must go completely back to basics and start from scratch. 1995? That's 21 years ago.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:19 AM   #10
eagle

The real question is what condition car are you looking for? The mechanicals are repairable by most anyone with basic mechanical abilities. The body can be the real bugger if it's rusty or the wood is all rotten, but can be done. Go look at it, make the determination if you are capable of fixing it up to your own standards, then make an offer to the owner as to what you are willing to pay. Do your homework with a model A parts catalog and research what other cars are selling for in your area. With the info and pics given so far there is no way to give you even a ballpark figure on value.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:47 AM   #11
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

the make, model. Year and asking price is what? Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:02 AM   #12
George Miller

Looks like this car has a lot of problems. I would bid real low.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:36 AM   #13
H. L. Chauvin

Maybe look at it this way and you will better understand what others are saying above.

If you were that Model A, you would be 80+ years old. Then suppose your wife is 30.

She thinks it is time to park you in a "separate" bedroom.

Is there a "reason" for parking you?

Or, should she spend time trying to keep you "tuned-up" in her bedroom?

People in an Old Folks Home are "usually" there for a reason.

Hope this first part helps.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And, as I was told a few years back, there are more "good" Model As looking for owners ............ than there are owners looking for "good" Model As.

Glad I waited until I found a "good" one that the owner kept "tuned-up."
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:56 AM   #14
Charlie Stephens

Establish the car you want in your mind. Look at what cars like that are selling for in the ads. Remember the sell price will be lightly less than the listed price. Carefully calculate what it would cost to build this car into he one you established in your mind. Post these two sets of numbers for comments. Compare the two numbers and buy accordingly.

Charlie Stephen
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:26 PM   #15
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Jim,

Another tiny bit of humble advice heard often for buying "anything" at, or a little over one's budget.

As far as Value? .............. Think!

Tomorrow ...... or the days after tomorrow ......... regardless of all charm, memories, & whatever one may have had ...... this Model A will only be worth the amount of cash you can get for it tomorrow!

And furthermore, in the end, what do "we" on this Forum know about "your" abilities and about what "you" want?

Please do what "you" feel is best ...... this car may be exactly what "you" are looking for and will be the best thing you ever bought in your life.

Welcome, and hope this helps also ..... believe it or not, most on this Forum are most anxious to hear about your decision after looking at it. LOL
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:50 AM   #16
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

Your question as to Model A Ford purchase value could probably be solid subject material of a Doctoral Thesis for a PHd.

First off, just this afternoon the wife and me were viewing some YouTube videos of recent Model A Ford club day tours. Except for a couple of "younger" people seen, the owners of those cars are VERY old. Being 70 myself and getting more feeble by the day, I can probably get away with citing the "age" factor into this equation. Looking at that crowd of yammering Model A Ford club geezers it would be safe to guess that there will be even more orphaned cars on the market in the not too distant future. Also too, a whole lot of the antique car people that comprised a large active membership in these clubs and chapters have already passed on. Those Model A Ford owners are not being replaced by younger people in any sizable numbers. There are many, many Model A Fords tucked away all over the place in various states of condition.

Recently ran across a 1931 town sedan in New York state about 50-miles away that the seller listed as "restored". As with most of these things, the car had belonged to the guy's father who passed away about ten years ago. Wanting the garage space for his 21st century plastic Asian coupe, this character had exiled the handsome slant windshield fordor to a dirt floor shed having open spaced barn-board walls. That Model A Ford has been off n' on the market for at least two years now. It is covered with dirt, bird and bat droppings. The entire under-carriage is rusty and corrosion covers all underneath surfaces. Opened the rear door and a strong pungent stench of rodent urine overwhelmed the senses. Mice had destroyed the LeBaron-Bonney mohair interior. With a jump start, it was said that the car could be made to run.

This clown's original price had been $11,000. That was incrementally reduced over a couple of years to $7,500. Fat chance! At this point, only want "turn-key" "rat-free" automobiles. In some earlier period of life I might have offered the guy a couple of grand for the junker. Now, why be bothered with any of these neglected rust heaps? Life is too short to burn up time, energy and good money.

Within the last year have seen at least a half dozen very decent nearby Model A Fords with asking price of $7,500 or lower. Not long ago, I posted on this forum a very good 1931 Ford pickup truck not too far from here over in western New Jersey. As recalled, the asking price was $7,000. Last spring, a super nice, correctly restored, early 1928 tudor sedan showed up in the Hudson Valley of New York up near Port Jervis. Another one with a $7,000 asking price. I talked to the seller on the phone but a medical situation short circuited my going up to see/purchase the car. By the time I got out of the hospital a few days later, that one was of course sold.

Summing it up, if you've got some cash in the piggy bank that's dedicated to buying a Model A Ford, be hard nosed and fussy about purchasing. Despite what some people may say, it is a "Buyer's Market". Cash talks and fact is, there are not that many guys strolling around with wads in their pockets to toss at a big 85-year old toy. Far too many cared for, "turn key" cars around for a person to screw with "restoring" a clunker or a "barn find" rodent infested wreck.

When surveying a Model A Ford (or any old car), bring a check-out check-list, flashlight and at least one small stick-on refrigerator type magnet. Use the magnet to test the body for bondo plastic filler or skim coating. Be strict!

Buy wisely!

Last edited by Capt Quahog; 10-12-2016 at 12:59 AM.
Capt Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote