Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2020, 01:42 PM   #1
Krylon32

Default 32-34 4 cylinder motor.

What is the best source for information and sourcing speed parts for a 32-34 4 cylinder. I have nothing so would be starting from scratch. I would be putting this in a deuce roadster with one of my home built chassis and a T5 with qc rear end. I've done some flat heads and have been told I'd be smarter to stick with a V8?
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 01:50 PM   #2
Fordestes

Default Re: 32-34 4 cylinder motor.

Considering that the 4 cyl. would be a babbit rod and the v-8 is inserted and full pressure lubed as opposed to splash oiling for the 4. and the parts availability is to be considered etc. .
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 01:55 PM   #3
Tim Ayers

Charlie Yapp's Secrets of Speed is a great place to start.

Take some time to look at the links attached. It's not the easiest site to navigate, but there is a lot of info there or linked to it.

https://www.secretsofspeed.com/speed-parts.htm

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 02-10-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 02:19 PM   #4
Charlie Stephens

I always liked the look of the Thomas speed equipment for a flathead. The head and intake is reproduced. Narrow down what you are looking for. Original parts, repro of original, flathead, overhead. The recommendation in post #3 is the best place to start. The engine in the photo is not mine.

Charlie Stephens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3382.jpg (67.7 KB, 318 views)
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:00 PM   #5
mercman from oz

That set-up sure looks impressive.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:49 PM   #6
v8nut

If you want to keep it original you can get a lot of ignition and carburation parts from Renners Corner. Jim in San Jose

http://www.rennerscorner.com/contact-us.html
v8nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:58 PM   #7
KiWinUS

Dan Price in Columbus Ohio is also a great source of speed equipment. 4BangerDan. Google his website
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:51 PM   #8
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
What is the best source for information and sourcing speed parts for a 32-34 4 cylinder. I have nothing so would be starting from scratch. I would be putting this in a deuce roadster with one of my home built chassis and a T5 with qc rear end. I've done some flat heads and have been told I'd be smarter to stick with a V8?
Its a crap shoot, i.e.- will you spend more $ to dress up a V8, or a 4 cyl , AND make either bullet proof..as to durability and longevity.

Look at what Charlie says first. That is, see where you are wanting to go and how much you want to spend to get wanted results.

IMO, you will find that 10G in a V8 flathead will go a long ways, as speed parts (new or old) are everywhere and available.

By the time you have the 4 banger , located/repaired/machined and then fitted with the best high-end durable speed stuff, 10K won't seem to go far.
For example just for an OHV Head full cross flow, alone, will add 5K +. New C crank, best inserted rods, etc ...get the idea ?

'SMARTER'....
Can you do your own machining/engineering/assembly ? That will save lots $, either engine type, eh.

The truism especially about 4 bangers is....you want to go fast; speed costs money...how fast do you want to go ?

I've owned 'dressed up' V8 flatheads. Also 'warmed up' 4 bangers. Four banger building is a disease, IMO, unless you have an unlimited amount of $ to spend and it doesn't matter..lol (so much $ to go so slow !). WHY ? The original primtech, by Ford, has to be overcome thru tried/true tinkering (think B-Ville)...tinkering= girdle/adding 2 extra mains/5 main cam/ 5 main crank/creative oiling systems...on/on.
The goal, to look cool and be durable in a deuce is worthy though !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:44 AM   #9
32phil

A hopped up B in a 32 is a thing of beauty.
My son has a Dan Price Cragar overhead on a B in his 28 Model A RPU.
It cost him $15K to build it 10 years ago.
Expensive ? You bet ! Painfully so.
But boy does it look good. Goes like snot too !!
I have a Dan Price head on the B in my 32 pick up.
It's not an overhead but the neat part is it uses the "B" 3 bolt water pump.
A 4 banger is certainly a welcome departure from a flathead or SBC (yikes !)
Old 02-12-2020, 02:08 PM   #10
Krylon32

I think this 4 cylinder thing to get where I'd want to get may make a FH look cheap? I'll just stick with something I know about.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:23 PM   #11
1931 flamingo

There's a "banger" thread on the HAMB which may be of some interest to you. Also go over to the A site here, some enthusiasts there also.

Back in the 60's I ran a Pontiac Tempest 4 cyl in my 32 coupe, 39 tranny. Lot of fun w/no hood sides, valve cover on one side and 4 bbl on the other.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:28 PM   #12
Krylon32

I built a 32 roadster in the early 70's and ran a Chevy 4 cylinder with the Merc marine equipment + a powerglide and a banjo rear. Drove it all over the country back when the speed limit was 60. Just hold it in low and wind it up then shift, I could keep up fairly well with the big dogs.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:41 PM   #13
Tim Ayers

Quote:
I built a 32 roadster in the early 70's and ran a Chevy 4 cylinder with the Merc marine equipment + a powerglide and a banjo rear. Drove it all over the country back when the speed limit was 60. Just hold it in low and wind it up then shift, I could keep up fairly well with the big dogs.
I know it's not the same, but they make some mock up stuff from these four bangers to make then look like old timey OHV bangers. May be something to consider.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:21 PM   #14
hardtimes

Quote:
I think this 4 cylinder thing to get where I'd want to get may make a FH look cheap? I'll just stick with something I know about.
'to get where I'd want to get' !
I'm with your thinking all the way on this matter.
I didn't mean to sound discouraging, regarding a strongly built four banger build. However, I've been there, done that....on a number of occasions.

If that is your goal, and your not in any hurry, take time to shop around to gather stuff toward your goal. You will pay for such stuff, but if you shop wisely, you will be able to eventually sell for more $ than you spent. This stuff is and investment, if right parts gathered. Sounds like you have a lot of talent and experience that will save you $ when time to get the parts into a running engine !
The parts are still out there. NOS C cranks. Excellent or NOS B blocks. Great old OHV Heads. Just shop wisely. Beware of buying OLD stuff without magnaflux.

You have to chase this stuff though, it usually isn't easily found.

Example: I now am working a Ed Donovan D block. Check that out to see how rare that is. Expecting HUGE hp out of this project. A bud from NJ phoned me about a guy in Nev and so forth. You have to be ready to move on it when fate steps in. I did and now have what I need to make a good ride...someday, maybe. Keep the faith in your idea/dream project, before things in life get in the way, i.e.- arithritis, cancer, etc.
A '32 coupe with a healthy dressed up four banger is a worthy goal !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:05 PM   #15
qmdv

Here is Kong Jackson, Ed Winfield and Me Tim Avery in 1976 looking over by Banger with a Cook four port head. Had a C crank with the rods machined by Kong to fit a Volvo insert. Crank turned to metric size. Two Winfield carbs. A one off Kong ignition

Here is the other side

It was way too much fun and nothing wrong with dipper rods
qmdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:41 PM   #16
Tinker

That is really cool. Amazing pictures. Something tells me qmdv you have a lot to share.

I don't now anything about b motors. But his might be a good site.

https://www.secretsofspeed.com/

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:30 PM   #17
CA Victoria

2 more cents........
You’ll be surprised with the performance of a 4 cylinder car. Look up Jim Brierly over on the A Forum. He has a good read on building a “4 banger”. Let me know if he is out of stock, I will loan you my copy.
Albeit they are more powerful, Ya don need an overhead to make it run well.
Most parts of the country have hill climbs for the pre 34 cars with 4 cylinder engines it would be worth a trip, y’all be hooked for sure.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:24 PM   #18
cas3

here on the frozen plains we have the "flat hill climb" in northern iowa. its mostly A's and T's on a paved airstrip. one year the local cop ran the course, and while his top speed was greater, the 4 bangers beat him out of the hole
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote