Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-09-2014, 02:30 PM   #1
Init1

Default Model A cowl band bolts too short

Anybody got a good fix for cowl band bolts that are too short?
I am installing a new repro band on my 30 Coupe and the tightening
Bolts are too short and do not quite protrude through the angled mount.
Init1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #2
fivefix

Default Re: Model A cowl band bolts too short

Init1,

I can't comment on the reproduction bolts, but I can tell you I just experienced the exact same problem installing my original band back on my restored Tudor. I would be surprised if the reproduction bolts were short, but I'll at least tell you how I got mine on assuming our bolts are the same size.

First, this was a two person job. There was no way I was getting this on by myself.

I then got one bolt just barely threaded and stopped. With the second person outside the car pulling as much slack as possible on the band and pushing on the unbolted side, we finally got enough threads to get the second bolt started.

I first attempted to tighten one side completely and then move to the remaining side. Nothing we did could expose the threads. It was only when I loosened the threads to barely catch that we had enough flexibility in the band to get the threads inserted on the other side.

Hope your bolts aren't actually short and this helps.
fivefix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:58 PM   #3
Init1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivefix View Post
Init1,

I can't comment on the reproduction bolts, but I can tell you I just experienced the exact same problem installing my original band back on my restored Tudor. I would be surprised if the reproduction bolts were short, but I'll at least tell you how I got mine on assuming our bolts are the same size.

First, this was a two person job. There was no way I was getting this on by myself.

I then got one bolt just barely threaded and stopped. With the second person outside the car pulling as much slack as possible on the band and pushing on the unbolted side, we finally got enough threads to get the second bolt started.

I first attempted to tighten one side completely and then move to the remaining side. Nothing we did could expose the threads. It was only when I loosened the threads to barely catch that we had enough flexibility in the band to get the threads inserted on the other side.

Hope your bolts aren't actually short and this helps.
Got one side on with a couple of threads. I'll get another set of h ands before I go further. I have one cowl clip installed too. Also have the center piece on loosely.

Hope it will squeeze down enough to get a nut started on the other side.
I don't see why the bolts aren't an inch longer from the beginning.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i just put my original cowl band on my 30 tudor today. i had plenty of thread to start the nuts probably a good 1/4 on each side then after tightening down, the stud protruded past the nut a good 1" on each side...i actually added a flat and lock washer to boot
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:09 PM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

The likely reason the bolts won't protrude enough is either the reproduction cowl patch panel were incorrectly made/installed, -or the sub-rail extensions have been messed with. Since it kinda "is what it is", I would consider doing like we do when we restore an original. Tig weld a length of Grade 5 all-thread to the existing bolt to make the correct length you need.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:20 PM   #6
james hitchcock

I know getting my original band back on my 31 was a bugger. One of my least favorite things to work on.
james hitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:45 PM   #7
larrys40

I concur with Brent... I typically have not had a problem with stud lengths. Installing a cowl band on a freshly painted or well paint finished A is definitely a 2=person job. The repros don't fit that well but can be made to fit better with some finess and tweaking. If the original stud is bad or repro just weld on a replacement. Make sure if you have cowl panels that have been replaced that the hole is correct and sufficient clearance for the tightening stud on the band.

Good luck!
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:58 PM   #8
Init1

Ok guys...it's on. Got the clips on too.
I have about 1/4" of thread past the nuts. I'll let it alone for a couple of days and finish tightening .

Took some patience and most of the afternoon.