Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-22-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
Louis

Default How hot should an A run?

My 31 has been running great for the last year when I tuned it up last.
The last few times that I drove it, I have seen some water [50/50] coming our from under the rad. cap and when I park it I hear a gergling noise in the rad for about 2-3 min. then it stops, I did replace the rad cap and seal and it did stop the seep from under the cap.
I bought a infrared thermometer to ck. the eng. temp.
After a 20 min. ride I left the eng. running and took these temp's,
Cly. head=220
eng. block=211
front rad shield top=202 [chrome]
rad. fins=145-150
The outside temp. here is 92 degrees
The car has no thermastat in it.
I have not moved the timing in a year.
the car starts ,run's,and idles great
50/50 anti-freeze
just changed oil a few week's back [but I did change from 20w50 castrol to 15w40 Rotella]

I have read that thermastat should be set at 160 degree's, Does that mean only the water temp. should be 160 or should the eng. block on the outside also be 160?
agin the car has no thermastat in it now and has not for the past two years that i've had it.

If the temp's. above are two high should I install a thermastat? or do I have more problems to worry about ? Thank's for any advice.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: How hot should an A run?

A t/stat will bring you up to operating temp(in this case 160*) it will continue to open and close tif temp drops below 160*. It appears you have other "opportunities". I would start by re-ck"nr the timing. What is the overall condition of your cooling system, In my opinion 50/50 is fine. What is your water level? Is fan belt slipping? (2*/hot/humid, you might be ok. Others will chime in I'm sure.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #3
Jason in TX

It's over 100 degrees here today and my plastic fan (everyone says this is the worst cooling fan) is keep both my As around 185.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
pdora

Using the infrared thermometer, shoot the outlet neck to get a reasonably accurate coolant temperature reading. Do this after a hard run on a hot day.

Compare this reading to one from the inlet neck to get some idea of radiator performance.

These thermometers have many other uses a well. For example, measure temp of all four brake drums after stop-and-go driving and look for anomalies.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
Louis

Flamingo,
I keep the water level about 3in. down from the top, the overall cond. of the cooling sys. is avg...some rust but none floating in the water, it look's as clean and green as when I changed it about a year ago. I've ck. the fan belt, feels about right to me.
Flamingo, does your A make any girgling noise after a drive [hot weather] when you shut it off ?
Old 07-22-2011, 03:54 PM   #6
steve s

I'm not convinced you have a problem, especially if you're not losing coolant. The gurgling is probably temporary localized overheating in the head as the heat works its way out from the interior of the motor--it may sound like it's coming from the radiator, but I doubt if it is. Has the motor/head's water passages been cleaned out, in your memory? There may be a blockage somewhere.

Car thermostats are not "set" like furnace thermostats; they are constructed to open and close above and below one particular set temperature. They are a bit controversial--reliable ones didn't exist until after the Model A years. Some people remove them in summer to get less flow restriction. Some people use them to restrict flow and prevent over-exuberant water pump from forcing coolant out overflow at high rpm's. For a time the bogus claim that slowing the flow improved cooling by giving the radiator more time to work was fashionable.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #7
Louis

Pdora,
Thanks, I'll try that tommorow. Does your eng./rad. make any strange sounds after eng. shutdown on a hot day ?

Jason,
Was the 185 temp. taken of the eng. with a infrared thermometer or is that a water temp. guage? Thank's for your responce.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #8
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in TX View Post
It's over 100 degrees here today and my plastic fan (everyone says this is the worst cooling fan) is keep both my As around 185.
Nah..not 'everyone'!

As to original Q....you say 'some rust'. Hmm that rust has to stop/rest somewhere. That somewhere is usually the radiator. If it were my rig, I'd take a good look at that radiator..mabe 'backflush', mabe have shop check it out.
Since you have a temp gun/tool...while running/idleing, check top vs btm vs side to side radiator temps for possible rust stopups!
BTW
I removed the 50/50 from my engine and installed distilled water with 'rust inhibitor' (AFTER FLUSHING system with appropriate flush product). It runs cleaner/cooler. But, then I have a NOS B block and recored radiator.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #9
pdora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Pdora,
Thanks, I'll try that tommorow. Does your eng./rad. make any strange sounds after eng. shutdown on a hot day ?
I've never noticed any such sounds, but my hearing is less than ideal. I will check it out just as soon as I get my car back from the Model A repair shop.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #10
Jason in TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Jason,
Was the 185 temp. taken of the eng. with a infrared thermometer or is that a water temp. guage? Thank's for your responce.
That was measured with a modern water temp gauge with probe in water neck.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:37 PM   #11
Louis

Thank you all for your helpfull info.
Tommorow I will take it for a ride, and after while at idle ck. the inlet and outlet temp. at the rad. and eng. and also side to side of the rad.
And go from their.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:48 PM   #12
Jim/GA

If you hear a gurgling sound at the radiator, that is the coolant boiling down in the block and gurgling up at the upper hose by the filler neck.

I think your engine sounds a bit hot and could probably benefit from a thorough cleaning of the cooling system, perhaps a rod out by a radiator shop. I often hear of grease in the radiator reducing efficiency.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:19 PM   #13
V4F

mine runs on the thermostate . 160* all the time . 100* parades & all .......
Old 07-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #14
1931 flamingo

I don't recall any "gurgling" sounds. Haven't driven mine in about a month. Got hurt at work 6/20 and been out on w/man's comp, hurt leg so can't drive, Mom (95) passed away 7/4 after short illness so a lot going on non Model A way in my life right now. May try to start it tmrw but still too hot here (103 today).
Paul in CT
Old 07-22-2011, 07:47 PM   #15
Louis

WOW! 103 in CT, I think I would stay inside next to a A/C vent.
Sorry to hear about the major problems your having, Hope things get better soon,.... makes my little problem seem trivial.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:29 PM   #16
85930tudor

Send a message via Yahoo to 85930tudor

Paul sorry for the loss of your mother. You only have one and they cannot be replaced. And hang in yhere with WC i got hurt in Oct of 98 been dealing with them ever since watch em ..........Dave
85930tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:06 PM   #17
1931 flamingo

85930tudor: Thanks for the kind words, I've "used" w/ man's comp before and know the "ins and outs", Dr running the show and he likes old cars. Had been out of work for over two years and went back (same place)4/1 and then this happened 6/20. Large piece of asphalt paving fell off fork lift (we didn't see it) and scraped both legs below the knees (Dr equates it to as if I'd fallen off a m/cycle and skidded on road). Still have 2 tubes in one leg draining excess accumulated blood, but getting better.
Paul in CT
Old 07-31-2011, 02:30 AM   #18
cars56

150 here no thermostate
This car seems to run better at the lower temp. In the winter I use the radiator/card board trick learned from the Barn to get her up to running temp quickly.
In the summer using distilled water and Gunk (anti rust/water pump lube) 1 bottle added to radiator.

Last edited by cars56; 07-31-2011 at 06:15 AM.
cars56 is offline   Reply With Quote