Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-18-2020, 11:06 AM   #1
bdraptor

Default how do I put an oil filter syson my 1928 tudor fordr

I just bought a 1928 ford tudor fordr sedan. I'm trying to keep it as original as possible. the motor wouldn't turn over so I popper the head off, and put some penetrating fluid in the cylinders put it in gear and rocked it back and forth. it got the cylinders to move. they are pretty carboned up, but I think with a little help I can get her torn down the rest of the way. remove the motor and take to a machine shop for hot tank. the water journals are pretty caked up. so getting to my point, I want to put a oil filter system, fuel filter system and a water t-stat on my 4-banger. to keep it in good shape once put back together.

1. will these slight modifications take away from the integrity of the original design?

2. will it increase the efficiency of the motor?

thanks for all who answer

bdraptor
bdraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:17 AM   #2
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: how do I put an oil filter syson my 1928 tudor fordr

Good morning and welcome to the Barn.

I'm sure you are going to get lot of answers, both pro and con, but I for one am a BIG believer in filters. I have both air and oil filters. The Oil Filter 'Kit' is made by Mike's A-Ford-able. I believe most of the sell the same Full Flow Filter. I bought mine from Snyder's https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P...earchByKeyword.

I also run a K&N Air filter. And before anyone says it Yes, that is an Air Balanced Zenith. With engine pans installed.

And the 'pencil' fuel filter in the tank https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P...earchByKeyword and a WIX fuel filter in the glass sediment bowl https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...359881&jsn=257.

Nothing I have installed cannot be removed again to return the car to original.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 02-18-2020 at 11:50 AM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:19 AM   #3
Bob C

Hot tanking will destroy the bearing babbitt.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:32 AM   #4
redmodelt

Done wrong, hot tanking will remove the babbitt and pollute the hot tank (shop people don's seem to like that!). It can be done, ask if they can support the block with the babbitt above the liquid.

Model A's don't have insert type bearings they are poured in place and line bored to size. Hot tanking only removes oil, grease and paint not rust.

This is a great place to ask questions but I suggest you get one of the repair manuals to guide you on working on your Model A.

Depending on your radiator condition a thermostat may or may not be needed. The fuel system has two filters/screens; sediment bowl and carburetor (if it has the Zenith), nothing wrong with adding the pencil filter at the shut off.

Oil filter, I think is a great idea. There are several to chose from. Google "fordbarn; oil filter"
Old 02-18-2020, 11:47 AM   #5
bdraptor

thanks to all who have given me their 2 cents worth. i never new that hot tanking wouldn't remove the rust, or destroy the bearing bobbit. there has to be some way in cleaning up a motor that has sat for the last ten years? it seems who ever had this car before me had used only water in the engine and then it sat for ten years. so i'm trying to get her going again. there is so much to do. but the fun of it will be most rewarding.
bdraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 12:03 PM   #6
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
This is a great place to ask questions but I suggest you get one of the repair manuals to guide you on working on your Model A.
Another big learning tool is the FREE catalogs the Vendors give away. Lots of good info in them and you can familiarize yourself with parts and proper names for them. Some of the Vendors have info on their website also. MAC's is one (altho I'm not a fan of buying from them). https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_m...model-a-specs/
https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_model_a/his_model_a
I like Bratton's also because they give thread sizes for fasteners in their discriptions.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote