Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2020, 10:43 PM   #1
PeteVS

Default Electric fuel pumps...

I have an old Corvette that I drive to a cruise night on Fridays during the warm weather. When I bring it home and park it in the garage, it stinks from the gas in the carburetor evaporating. And then, the next week, I have to crank it until it pumps gas back up to the carb. Does anyone using an electric pump shut the gas off and let the carb run dry to shut the engine off?
Old 02-13-2020, 12:12 PM   #2
adileo

Default Re: Electric fuel pumps...

Hi Pete

My 39 (w/ dual 94a) only has an electric pump. I never needed to run carb dry. I do not have any smell of gas in garage.

I would check for a leak. Maybe around fuel filter?

Andy
1952 F1
adileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:14 PM   #3
solidaxle

You didn't mention what year or motor. My "61" with the tank behind the seat was leaking around the the old deteriorated rubber hoses and would smell in the cockpit.
Yours has a problem somewhere. Installing an electric pump if it does omit the problem it is not fixing the problem. I would search the reason for the gas smell and correct it.

Last edited by solidaxle; 02-13-2020 at 04:42 PM.
solidaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:20 PM   #4
solidaxle

Not that it's a big deal and we are all car guys trying to help each other, you may want to post your question at a different site.
solidaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:13 PM   #5
Jack E/NJ

A simple shutoff valve between the mechanical pump & carb will do the job. No electric pump needed. Of course, you'd need to open the hood to turn valve while the car's idling to run it dry. Then turn it back on again for the next cruise. Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:32 PM   #6
50fordcoupeman

I agree with all of the above that you have an issue somewhere. My friend had a gas smell similar to yours. It was ignored and one evening the leak got big enough while we were on a dinner cruise and caught fire. Total loss of a nice '61 TBird.
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:11 PM   #7
JayChicago

I have experienced that smell in the garage after shut-down, with my SBC with Edlebrock carb on aluminum intake. I added a phenolic spacer under the carb. Reduced the smell quite a bit. The phenolic spacer reduces the amount of heat-soak transfer into the carb, which reduces fuel evaporation at the carb.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:35 PM   #8
5851a

The OP all have good ideas but you might try just opening the hood and letting it sit for the night after cruise to let the heat buildup out. Painless experiment. Just a thought.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:06 AM   #9
RKS.PA

I had a Holley 390 on an Offy intake on my '39, and electric fuel pump only. I also had a fuel pressure gauge inside the car. Yes, I know that's a no no, but with stainless AN plumbing, I never had a problem. I ran the pump until I got 4 lbs of fuel pressure and then hit the starter. On shut down, I turned off the pump and waited until the pressure dropped to zero. Never had any gas smell.

That said, agree with the poster who said something is wrong and need to fix the leak/evaporation issue. Am working on this issue on my '47 with help from Charlie ny!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:42 PM   #10
drolston

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayChicago View Post
I have experienced that smell in the garage after shut-down, with my SBC with Edlebrock carb on aluminum intake. I added a phenolic spacer under the carb. Reduced the smell quite a bit. The phenolic spacer reduces the amount of heat-soak transfer into the carb, which reduces fuel evaporation at the carb.
Shut down a hot engine on a hot day and without cooling air running through the carb, - the heat will transfer from the manifold heat riser section to the carb enough to actually boil modern gasohol. You might see it actually dribble out around the throttle shaft. Not pleasant and not safe. The phenolic spacer will reduce that problem. It does not stop fuel from boiling in the fuel pump and pushing gas out through the carb.

If you detect a strong gas smell, open the hood so the fuel-air mixture is diluted and things cool down.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:46 PM   #11
tubman

I also agree that there is something wrong. This is a common problem brought up on the Corvette forums, but I have never seen it with my '67. I have spent a ton of time on the carb in that car, making sure all surfaces are dead flat and everything else is up to snuff.

I bought my "surface plate" just to work on this carburetor.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:58 PM   #12
Ggmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
I have an old Corvette that I drive to a cruise night on Fridays during the warm weather. When I bring it home and park it in the garage, it stinks from the gas in the carburetor evaporating. And then, the next week, I have to crank it until it pumps gas back up to the carb. Does anyone using an electric pump shut the gas off and let the carb run dry to shut the engine off?
Is it a quadrajet in the corvette ? They had a problem with a plug leaking internal . The 1st GM fix for it was a small sponge .
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:22 PM   #13
Jack E/NJ

Ggmac>>>Is it a quadrajet in the corvette ? They had a problem with a plug leaking internal . The 1st GM fix for it was a small sponge .>>>

Hmmm? A small sponge eh? Sounds kinda iffy. What was their 2nd fix? Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:52 PM   #14
Angledrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E/NJ View Post
Ggmac>>>Is it a quadrajet in the corvette ? They had a problem with a plug leaking internal . The 1st GM fix for it was a small sponge .>>>

Hmmm? A small sponge eh? Sounds kinda iffy. What was their 2nd fix? Jack E/NJ
Epoxy the welch plugs
Angledrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:44 PM   #15
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
Hey Pete,
Yeah, I do just that...run the carb till engine stops.
That being said, sounds like you have a fuel leak that should get your attention...before something bad happens. Luck to you !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:47 AM   #16
PeteVS

It's a WCFB Carter. Stock base engine in a '63. When I bring it out of storage, I'll have go looking for a leak. Thanks all!!