Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-27-2020, 01:07 AM   #1
alumcantandthd

Default Headlight switch, bottom of steering box

Has ANYone here, dismantled then reassembled, 'successfully,' the contact points that is in the back headlight switch housing?

I have pictures to show exactly what I am talking about.

I want to chrome the 'bail' and both housing pieces for the headlight switch.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32 headlight switch 1.jpg (23.3 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 32 Headlight switch 2.jpg (31.1 KB, 68 views)
alumcantandthd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 02:01 AM   #2
Bill G

Default Re: Headlight switch, bottom of steering box

I have not tried. I wanted to, but gave up the idea and bought a repop. The parts are pressed together. I don't think you want to mess with it. Bending the pressed parts outward to release and release the spring will probably not go back together the same. You can alway try, but good luck.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 02:29 AM   #3
CarlG

It must be able to be done successfully. I have purchased refurbished originals that have been replated. The one that is on my truck I got from Bert’s in Denver.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club

Last edited by CarlG; 02-27-2020 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Spelling
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 11:08 AM   #4
rotorwrench

Any electrically conductive material can be plated but it's not cheap now days. If there are any moving parts attached, they are usually removed so parts can be plated separately. Wax is sometimes used where parts can't be separated. Plating doesn't go into nooks & crannies well so the inside will not be a place that will look real good. Polishing can take it's toll during the process but that's the only way to get a real nice surface finish.

I could ask why but I know folks always want something different. Ford didn't plate them that way. It would have been too costly.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 02:28 PM   #5
F.M.
BANNED

I have had MANY re-cad plated after glass beading them and have never taken any of them apart !!..
F.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:54 AM   #6
alumcantandthd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
It must be able to be done successfully. I have purchased refurbished originals that have been replated. The one that is on my truck I got from Bert’s in Denver.
Thank you. I GOOGLED their name and went into their catalog. Did not see any listing for a chrome plated one. (of course, that is not saying that i'm crosseyed in one eye and can't piss out of the other and missed their listing)

Am I reading your comment right? That you have purchased refurbished originals that have been chrome plated? That you have one on your vehicle, now, (a chrome plated one) that you bought from 'Bert's in Denver'?
Thanks
Old 02-28-2020, 08:02 AM   #7
alumcantandthd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Any electrically conductive material can be plated but it's not cheap now days. If there are any moving parts attached, they are usually removed so parts can be plated separately. Wax is sometimes used where parts can't be separated. Plating doesn't go into nooks & crannies well so the inside will not be a place that will look real good. Polishing can take it's toll during the process but that's the only way to get a real nice surface finish.

I could ask why but I know folks always want something different. Ford didn't plate them that way. It would have been too costly.
Sure! BLING! I have the box all smooth, shiny, powder coated. All the stainless bolt heads/washers are polished, the bottom column clamp is chrome plated, with polished stainless acorn nuts/washers on it. It won't look 'finished' unless that housing is chromed.
Thanks for asking
Old 02-28-2020, 12:14 PM   #8
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by alumcantandthd View Post
Thank you. I GOOGLED their name and went into their catalog. Did not see any listing for a chrome plated one. (of course, that is not saying that i'm crosseyed in one eye and can't piss out of the other and missed their listing)

Am I reading your comment right? That you have purchased refurbished originals that have been chrome plated? That you have one on your vehicle, now, (a chrome plated one) that you bought from 'Bert's in Denver'?
Thanks
Bert’s catalogue does not list their vast collection of used / refurbished parts, you need to contact them directly for those.

When I said “plated” I didn’t say anything about chrome. Only that it was plated. My intention was that it could be taken apart in order to be plated.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 02:52 PM   #9
ericr

what exactly is holding the rotating plate with the 3 contact bumps to the unit?
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote