Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-24-2017, 04:18 PM   #1
Dave Young

Default Newbie Question - Shifting suddenly difficult !

Ok ... I'll admit it ... I've been pouting over some ridicule I received on what I thought was a legitimate question from a newbie owner. Several of the good guys here contacted me and wisely told me to forget these insulting replies and stay with it ... so, I've swallowed my pride, got up, dusted myself off, and I'm starting all over again. (lyrics from a 1930's Fred Astaire song).

So I'm bracing myself, but here goes ...

My 1929 Tudor is suddenly getting harder and harder to change gear. And I'm talking about 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. (forget about downshifting, I can't do that anyway, so I can only assume the same applies).

There doesn't seem to be any reason for it that I'm aware of. Smooth as silk up to about a week ago, but very difficult now. From what I've read, sounds like a serious lack of oil in the transmission ... but there's no leaks on the garage floor !

I'm 81years old and don't do crawling under cars anymore, however, I'm willing to do it in the case of my model A. (I'll tie a rope on my feet so that my wife can pull me out if I can't make it). I want to be able to rule out the lack of oil, first.

But to save me the indignity of trying to get under and out from under the car, can any of you experienced guys offer any alternate reasons why it's suddenly become so hard to shift. Don't get too technical, now ... I'm no mechanic.

Thanks, Dave
Dave Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:18 PM   #2
1930-Pickup

Default Re: Newbie Question - Shifting suddenly difficult !

Sorry to hear some guys gave you a tough time

Really, you need to check the transmission fluid. They do leak...its very common for cars of this era. A dry trans will not lubricate the shift lock detent pins and rods (sorry, too technical?) and other internal parts too.

If its not leaking at all I would be worried that your transmission is empty

How about you take it to a lube shop? Its easy to check the oil, especially on a lift. Bring a couple quarts 600W gear oil with you (from a Model A parts supplier).

By the way, you can check the oil without getting under the car, but you will need to remove the floorboard...
Old 11-24-2017, 05:19 PM   #3
WHN

New car to you? The first thing I would recommend is change ALL fluids.

I’m only 71 but no longer can get under our car. I take to local car repair shop. They love to work on the old stuff. Young kids, you have to stand there and show them. It’s fun.

We use half STP and half 600w oil from suppliers. That’s how I would start. Enjoy.

Don’t forget u joint, not regular grease, we use John Deere Cornhead grease, also use in steering box.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:19 PM   #4
Nabco

I’m somewhat of a newbie too Dave...I noticed you are n PA, I can tell you that my car shifts a little more difficult once it starts getting colder outside, takes a little longer the trann6 oil to warm.....not sure if this is your problem or not, I’m sure the more experienced guys will check in.

Nick
Old 11-24-2017, 05:21 PM   #5
CWPASADENA

It sounds like the trans is low on lube or the clutch is not fully releasing

If the trans is low, try to use 600W but you can get away with 90-140. We did it for years when 600W was hard to find.

If the clutch is not fully releasing, try to adjust it. This will definitely cause hard shifting.

Try to find a local Model A Club, they can usually help.

Do not pay attention to those who look down on new owners who may not know everything about the car.

We all learn by asking questions.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:26 PM   #6
1crosscut

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
When you say difficult to shift do you mean that it is stiff and won't go into gear, difficult to move the shift lever, gears grind when shifting... more specific information could help.

Have a neighbor kid that would be willing to crawl under the car and check it for you?? Afterwards take him/her for a ride in the car to get a treat at McDonalds or such.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:56 PM   #7
BILL WILLIAMSON

"Maybe" the clutch release lever CRACKED??? Fairly common thing, easy to check.
Bill W.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:03 PM   #8
NCRebel

I second the idea of a young person getting involved in working on your car with you. I'm looking for an apprentice at the moment to help with the heavy load of self maintenance and garage detail. Beside the good views on cold stiffening the fluids and the gear box being dry, any new grit that entered the casement will cause the teeth to be blocked and the plates not turn smoothly.

Check the easy stuff first and I hope the easy fix is your solution.
NCRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:04 PM   #9
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Put car in neutral with engine running, push clutch in fully. Wait for about 20 sec. AND TRY TO PUT IT IN FIRST. IF IT GRINDS, your pilot bearing may be binding (big job to fix), or your clutch lever that the pedal pulls to release the clutch, may be failing and has a crack in it. Easy fix. Find a club and lean on them. Good luck.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:41 PM   #10
Dave Young

Crosscut ... Yeah, all the above ... stiff, won't slip into next gear, wants to grind.

As for getting a youngster to get under the car ... I live in a retirement community where most of the residents are older than I am. I am the neighborhood kid ! ...
Not much chance of getting anyone else to get under the car, even for a McDonald's
hamburger.
Dave Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:56 PM   #11
Paul Bennett

Now I'm feeling bad as at age 80 I love to take naps under my car. I don't plan it that way but the scenery under there is great. Until the cold wx set in anyway. I used to sleep in my back seat to save the $5 motel charge.

Good Luck on freeing your transmission. Frankly, I heard the Russians are hacking into them to monitor where you go. Sorry I don't have an answer but do have a great Christmas season.
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:09 PM   #12
heneste

Sorry to hear some have given you a hard time, questions are made to be asked. Anyways, it could be a slow leak that occurs when the car is in gear on the road or the gears could be splashing the oil through the vent hole on the top of the transmission. Is it possible the clutch may need adjustment? I'm thinking the pedal may not be travelling as far as it should if the clutch has become worn. Keep us updated on what you find and hope it's easy to fix.
heneste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:09 PM   #13
1929 Red Tudor

I am a newbie as well, my local Model A club has been a ton of help so I say do your best to find a local club and asks for some help.
1929 Red Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:31 PM   #14
1930-Pickup

This really isn't an issue of a transmission problem for you. The transmission issue that you are having is only a symptom of a larger situation.

Because of your limitations, you desperately need a plan on how to solve your future vintage car problems, including adjustments and repairs above and below the car. There will be many I'm sure.

Contacting a club is a great idea. It's one idea of several ideas in your bag of tricks to keep your car maintained and repaired properly. Plan for and collect more ideas for your bag of tricks to keep this lifestyle fun.

Maintenance = Reliability,
Reliability = Safety,
Safety = Fun
Old 11-24-2017, 07:32 PM   #15
1930-Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1929 Red Tudor View Post
I am a newbie as well, my local Model A club has been a ton of help so I say do your best to find a local club and asks for some help.
Welcome 1929 Red Tudor!
Old 11-24-2017, 08:10 PM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

If you push the clutch to the floor, wait 10 seconds, and the gears are still spinning, then I also think you might have a crack in the clutch arm on the end of the shaft.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:11 PM   #17
BILL WILLIAMSON

It gets HARDER & HARDER to find a club member to help. Either they're not ABLE to help, or they've passed away.
Bill Sad
Old 11-24-2017, 08:45 PM   #18
burner31

If it's not leaking oil on the garage floor it's more than likely empty, get her filled up and drive her like there's no tomorrow...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg manly-man-meme-54581b76a6d4c.jpg (67.1 KB, 2 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:28 PM   #19
Big hammer

I 2nd and 3rd the low on lube, but also will say IF your idle speed is to high this will also make it hard to shift!
And to those that gave you a hard time.................
If you where closer I would be glad to give you a hand!
Old 11-24-2017, 10:14 PM   #20
1crosscut

I just looked to see where you are. Seems that a couple of weeks ago I was just a few miles away from you. Had I known I could have stopped by for a look. Now it would be a 1,200 mile trip. The Delaware Valley Model A Club in Philadelphia may be able to hook you up with someone to help.
You can email them at [email protected]