Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-16-2020, 06:46 AM   #1
ronn

Default installing engine

bought a 41 woody need ing full restoration- has no engine- so I bought an engine and went to install yesterday. couldnt get the spline to slide in.

what is the process or am I better pulling the trans and putting the whole thing in as one unit?

thanks in advance.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:23 AM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: installing engine

Sounds like you have to inspect to see if the clutch disk is compatible with the transmission spline and even if it is located correctly on the flywheel.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:25 AM   #3
ronn

51, so they dont fit universally? didnt realize there are diff sizes.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:39 AM   #4
marko39

Get a dummy trans. spline and alighn clutch before installing . There are plastic ones made for this.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:14 AM   #5
hotcoupe

I just re-installed the engine in my '37 1/2 ton, couldn't get the engine and trans to mate up. I worked for two or three hours (getting more and more frustrated by the minute), finally pulled the transmission and fifteen minutes later I was finished. I've installed flatheads before and they slipped right in, but on that day, no matter what i tried, it wouldn't work. In the future, i'm going to install the motor and trans as a unit.
Tom
hotcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:40 AM   #6
fordwife

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Back in the day, we used to make guide pins by cutting the heads off of 4" bolts and screwing them into engine at 9 oclock and 3 oclock. It made the job a lot easier.
fordwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:41 AM   #7
deuce_roadster

After verifying it has the correct clutch disk in there and it is lined up with the pilot bearing/bushing, try putting the transmission in gear so the input shaft doesn't move. Then while mating the two if it doesn't slip right in, rotate the crank slightly (spark plugs out) until it does go in. I always use at least 2 usually 4 line up pins (long bolts with the heads cut off screwed into the block to make sure the angle is not off. I also use a hacksaw and make screwdriver slots in the back ends of the pins to make sure they are easy to get out.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:48 AM   #8
big job

If you do not have a clutch disk mandrel you can easily take the input shaft out of the
transmission for a alignment tool that has to be precision. Then with out the turning of
the crankshaft pulley nut just put in gear jack up one rear wheel with a helper rock
rear wheel until splines mesh, on closed drive shaft) open drive shaft jack up and turn
shaft until it slides right in ......block and trans must be parallel like Ronnie said with studs
or cut off bolts
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:28 AM   #9
F-ONE

Quote:
I bought an engine and went to install yesterday. couldnt get the spline to slide in.
What engine? What type of engine? What year? What transmission?

I know of guys that have fought this for hours. They gave up and go eat lunch, come back and the transmission mated and slid on while they were gone.

Without the alignment aids it's difficult and even with the alignment aid it can be difficult as everything has to be just right.

The big thing is to make sure you have the right clutch disk. If this is a later model engine, post '64, it aint gonna fit unless you have the right conversion parts.
F-ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:00 AM   #10
RKS.PA

Idiot Boy here!! Pulled engine and trans from'47 and rebuilt both. So, no mystery with mating spline. Wouldn't go together.....tried for hours.....forced it and bent fingers on pressure plate. Problem???? Arm on shop crane not long enough. Solution??? Removed bumper and splash pan...both had allowed engine and trans to come out....and got a new shop crane with a longer reach!! Went together like butter!!

Conclusion..... self not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:11 PM   #11
Aarongriffey

I ALWAYS USE A TREE CORNERED FILE TO TAKE THE SHARP EDGES OFF THE DISC splines BEFORE I INSTALL the clutch.
Then do the same one the pilot shaft. What a difference that makes.
I use two long bolts with the heads cut off for guides or all thread rod as posted above, but also a couple guides slightly shorter.
Then, like posted above, I jack up the left rear wheel, put the transmission in high gear
And have some body slowly turn the wheel back and forth while I push the engine back towards the tranny keeping the engine at the same level as the transmission.
Last month I went through all those steps putting an 8ba in a ‘46 Mercury.
I pushed on the engine while my 10 year old grand daughter ruined the wheel.
After about 20 seconds she couldn’t turn the wheel any longer.
That’s because the pilot shaft went into the disc hub.
I then checked again to see that the space between the top of the trans bell housing was the same distance from the engine as the bottom and pushed the engine back until it clunked together.
Whole event was less than five minutes.
You need a floor jack under the front of the transmission to keep it level with the engine.
Also put a very light coating of chassis grease on the pilot shaft splines and in the pilot bearing before you set the engine in. Where the throw out bearing slides too.
Usually ta
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:52 PM   #12
ronn

wow- all great advice. thank you very much!