Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-01-2020, 09:03 AM   #1
Licensed to kill

Default lifting off the body (Brent Terry)

I've lifted off ( and put back on) a tudor body with no problem by running a 2X6 through the quarter windows and lifting with my picker. However, I now have to lift off a Deluxe delivery body and am unsure what is the best way to go about it since there are no quarter windows and the door openings are too far forward (and incomplete ATM). Pretty tough to lift manually from the sills since it has to go high enough to clear the steering. I suppose I could remove the steering but they were dropped onto the chassis in the factory somehow. I've watched assembly line videos from the model A era and they seem to do it like I did my tudor but haven't found how they did the deliveries. Perhaps Brent Terry can chime in on how he did it.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:21 AM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: lifting off the body (Brent Terry)

Larger bodies can be lifted by use of a fabricated "H" frame or other appropriately shaped frame that will overhang the sides or the body enough to utilize straps at each corner and middle of the sub frame. The frame can be made of tubing or even wood members if properly designed. A person doesn't want it to be too heavy. It may take more than a cherry picker though. An overhead hoist of some type may be a better choice unless a person has a very large cherry picker boom & frame.

If a person lifts through body openings, a spreader should be used between the straps to keep them from putting the squeeze on the body framework. I generally avoid lifting this way. Most body structures should be lifted from the base of floor structure unless it is rotted away. In that case its not a bad idea to weld some support tubing inside the body so it will hold its shape better and not do any further damage.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 09-01-2020 at 09:28 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:57 AM   #3
Licensed to kill

Lifting capacity is not an issue. I have a small corner picker (2000lb) that I prefer to use in the shop that easily lifted the tudor body and if that isn't enough I have a 6500lb knuckle boom picker on an F-550. I've considered lifting from the bottom (preferred) but didn't know how to get under it. I suppose I could lift it manually just a few inches and run some 2x4's through to get it off the frame then I could fish straps or boards through for lifting with a spreader setup (H bar) over top as you suggest.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:09 AM   #4
hop up

I personally like to use a portable cable lift such as a Velti as I have but sumner and other manufacturers making the same product. What I like about them you can do it yourself and is a cable driven lift so it can move in fractions. You also can rent them from places like homedepot but recommended getting a used or new one. It’s amazing tool to have for lifting motors transmissions ,rearend ,frames and even groceries in the trunk. They come in many sizes and used one as a tool and die maker know as a dielift . These are just bigger in size and cable driven and some lift up to 2500#.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48F83CB4-EFCC-4445-BFF3-D98E8387033C.jpg (6.6 KB, 110 views)
Old 09-01-2020, 10:45 AM   #5
Big hammer

I've used lifts like in the picture, they are narrow so you can move them through door ways.
When I had window a/c units 6 feet overhead they get tippy, sliding the units out and on to the lift and straight down to the floor. Maybe some are made wider for lifting large equipment ? that would be a better option.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:03 PM   #6
Bruce_MO

I prefer the path of least resistance... remove the two bolts on the steering box and lay it down. Then four guys can easily lift the body onto the frame at a reasonable height without fancy lifting methods. When I do it, I pretty carefully plan the move, talk it thru with the crew, and make sure there's no tripping hazards, etc. A few six-packs of cold beer to finish the job and to admire how much progress you're making with like-minded friends! If you were close, I'd join you and I'd bring the beer. I think body on/off events are a cause for celebration, up there with first fire-up and first drive.

Good luck and enjoy the satisfaction.
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:09 PM   #7
Steve_Mack_CT

Bruce, we have done a couple larger, later 30s cars as you describe. Good approach if you can gather up 4 helpers, one on each corner and an extra set of hands/eyes.

A pal and I once removed a 39 Chevy sedan body - less flexi than an A, but two of us, two floorjacks, two sawhorses, planks and the luck of the young and stupid.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:17 PM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
I've lifted off ( and put back on) a tudor body with no problem by running a 2X6 through the quarter windows and lifting with my picker. However, I now have to lift off a Deluxe delivery body and am unsure what is the best way to go about it since there are no quarter windows and the door openings are too far forward (and incomplete ATM). Pretty tough to lift manually from the sills since it has to go high enough to clear the steering. I suppose I could remove the steering but they were dropped onto the chassis in the factory somehow. I've watched assembly line videos from the model A era and they seem to do it like I did my tudor but haven't found how they did the deliveries. Perhaps Brent Terry can chime in on how he did it.

I am certain when you refer to "he", you are speaking of Henry or Edsel. I have not seen anything written or documented on this for the 79A/B, or 130A/B type bodies. Then, how about bodies such as the 76A/B, the 140A, -or even 150A/B where there is not even a (-or at least a substantial) roof to attach lifting points to. That will be interesting to research.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:45 PM   #9
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I am certain when you refer to "he", you are speaking of Henry or Edsel.
No, I was actually referring to you. I know you restored a DD and did the body on a separate "frame" then transfered it to the completed chassis. Just wondering how you lifted it and put it on the final chassis.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:56 AM   #10
hop up

@big hammer they make some with outriggers to lift heavier and larger equipment. They are pretty stable with a body 6 foot in the air but as you said dont want to be moving it around with out the outriggers /legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
I've used lifts like in the picture, they are narrow so you can move them through door ways.
When I had window a/c units 6 feet overhead they get tippy, sliding the units out and on to the lift and straight down to the floor. Maybe some are made wider for lifting large equipment ? that would be a better option.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:59 PM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
No, I was actually referring to you. I know you restored a DD and did the body on a separate "frame" then transfered it to the completed chassis. Just wondering how you lifted it and put it on the final chassis.

Ohh, our way of doing it probably does not make sense to most people who subscribe to the work smarter not harder mindset. While we have a couple of propane powered fork lifts, an electric order-picker, and a two post lift at our disposal, yet we generally just use 6-8 guys to lift a body off of a cart and right onto the chassis (-or visa-versa). Way quicker and much easier to maneuver.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00802.JPG (151.7 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00803.JPG (146.9 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00805.JPG (148.0 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00806.JPG (150.6 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5695.jpg (67.3 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5697.jpg (49.8 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5699.jpg (64.9 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5700.jpg (61.9 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5703.jpg (63.1 KB, 65 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote