Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-30-2019, 08:52 AM   #1
bigd1101

Default No spark after nEw head replacement

Put the new head on, ran the car, re-torqued the following day. Ran the car started fine, ran her for an hour at idle, then revved her up about two times and she dies. Won't start now. Getting gas, but I removed a plug and turned her over and no apparent spark at the plug tip. I think I might have damaged the ignition cable when I took the head and distributor off as it was never clamped to the block anyway when I got the car. The cable is quite short and is about an inch above the block so I'm thinking that is why it was never clamped down on the head bolt/nut. I had to bend it quite a bit to get it out of the way when I did the head. Just wondering if that is the problem? Shouldn't I be getting spark at the plug tip when I turn her over? I have to say, this car has been a challenge.

Don
bigd1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:53 AM   #2
mike657894

Default Re: No spark after nEw head replacement

First get out a multi meter or test light it will save you hours of guess work. Having something very similar happen to me. My cable from key to dizzy had frayed just inside the distributor from having the head on and off during a head gasket fix and then broken stud. My car being a driver I replaced the shielded cable with a wire and grommet and machine screw and nut. Another time I had lost spark when the wire from the top plate was touching the dizzy body after a replacement of ignition parts. My memory can be very fuzzy(and anyone chime in and correct me if wrong), to test cable turn key on and place red of meter on head metal and black on non moving point. Reverse color of meter if you have switched to 12v negative ground.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:53 AM   #3
Badpuppy

With points closed, ignition on, there should be 0 volts at the coil (red wire). If not, path is open. With points open, ignition on, there should be battery at the coil. If 0 volts, path is shorted to ground.

The skinny replacement cable is easier to install/remove - the screw end swivels.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:10 AM   #4
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

https://youtu.be/d5yvkEnx9Gc

Here is a video that should help you. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:49 AM   #5
Marshall V. Daut

Check your private messages.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:15 PM   #6
bigd1101

Well.....looks like I had the GAV too closed up and I had set the idle way too slow. I did re-time her, cleaned the plugs, backed the ignition cable back a tad as I think I had it too tight in the distributor body, re-set the points and all this tinkering seemed to have worked. I did do a voltage test on the coil and that was fine, so I eliminated that. She's running good now.........thanks for all the advice as usual....

Don
bigd1101 is offline   Reply With Quote