Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Early V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default A bit of nostalgia........

I've been meaning to post this link for awhile, so here it is. It isn't necessarily Ford related, but I thought you might enjoy it, that is, if you're old enough! Click on the link below, relax for a couple of minutes, and take in what life was all about when I was young. It's all true - I was there! Dave Maher

<ul>[*]Memories[/list]

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: A bit of nostalgia........

Those were the days when....I bought my first car, a channeled 32-3 window deuce coupe @ age 15 (in Rock Island, IL.). All the window glass was broken. I went to the junk yard the next day and found window glass for all 4 windows!!!

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

Where has the time gone??????????????

Was 15 and had a really nice 51 Chev Hardtop with &quot;three on the floor&quot;, dual exhaust and tripower under the hood.

Fastforward 45 years and still working with tripower, only on a flathead V8, go figure!

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

Dave one of the items on your nostalgia list is gas at 35 cents. I remember when we drove to the other side of town to get gas for 19.9 because the local guy was ripping us off at 23.9.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #5

Yeah, those were the days - I bought my 2nd car - a '36 Ford Club Cabriolet, for 35 bucks! I sold it later for $200. If we only had the foresight! And as far as gas prices, it was $.19/gal. Why, if you had a spare fifty cents, you could go cruisin' for the evening, and stop in at the diner for a couple of cups of coffee ($.05/cup). Oh well, I'm glad I'm still a kid at heart! Dave Maher

<ul>[*]Precision Coachworks[/list]

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #6

I bought a 40 deluxe coupe from a guy that couldn't get it to run, for 40 dollars. Took it home, put the sparkplug cables into the correct place in the distributor and it ran great.

We could always count on walking into town and getting some candy or liquid filled wax coke bottles because we would pick up pop bottles in the ditches along the way. Remember? 6 cents for the big bottles and 3 cents for the little ones. Take them to the grocery store for our pay then off to the variety store for treats.

We would even collect metal coat hangers and get a penny each at the local dry cleaners.

Yes, I remember it well. Thanks for the look back.

Fourdy

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #7

yea i was there remember it all neat link, sent it to my brother-inlaw. ken ct.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #8

I remember getting a fill-up for $2.00...gas was 17.9 and you did'nt have selfserve.

Charlie

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #9

Metal ice cube trays?? The ice man bought in one big chunk of ice and put it in the wooden ice box. His vehicle was horse and wagon the same as the milkman. My first 35 Ford coupe cost $7.50 in 1948. My 34 roadster was expensive, that one was $35.00. Good running Modle A was $10.00 to $15.00. G.M.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #10

It took you 45 years to see the light. G.M.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #11

On a Saturday night, if four guys chipped in 2 bucks apiece, we could buy a case of beer and a tank of gas, get our motor running, and head out on the highway looking for adventure or whatever came our way.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #12

I friend of mine and I took my sisters little red wagon and went through the ditches (remember when it was OK to toss things out the window of a moving car?) along the highway and collected enough pop bottles to cash in at Safeway to go to the kids movies downtown on Saturday morning. It cost a whole 25 cents each to enter the theatre plus we had enough money left over for pop and candy.

I don't think it was the &quot;good old days&quot; as there were plenty of problems then too (remember the cold war, bomb shelters, bills to pay, race relations and so forth)

But it really was a simpler life. More clear cut issues.

There seemed to be a right and wrong. (My father was right I was wrong even if I did not always agree.)

My father would tell my sister and me &quot;turn off that *&amp;%$#(*! TV and get outside and play. Today it seems to be &quot;turn on that TV and leave me alone.

Today the issues are kind of a muddy grey and right and wrong depends on so many factors it is usually unclear what is really going on.

It is just my view anyway.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #13

That was nice! I remember all those things because I had older brothers and sisters , even though I was a child in the early 60's. Kids didn't threaten each other like they do today and we were'nt nasty like they are today. They need to get rid of video games and all the violent crap that's out there now. It's a discrace!No wonder they have little regard for life. I was taught to respect each other and don't do to others that you wouldn't want done to you. My kids are decent , good natured people. I taught them right. Too bad too many other parents aren't doing the same.

Barry

50 F-1

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #14

and you still havn't seen the light with a handle like &quot;GM&quot;... ha ha !

GB

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #15

Aw yes, memories...

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #16

Dave,

That sure was a neat page to read, brought back alot of old memories. I remember being gone from home most the day with friends while we got on our bikes and road miles out to the boonies to go fishing or go through old abondoned farm houses.

Remember when the Untouchables T.V. show was thought to be too violent and even Congress held investigations concerning it? Now look at the what T.V. has become!

Anyways, thanks for the memories, they were all true because I was there too. Take care.

Keep V-8ing,

Dale

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #17

That site was sent to me by a friend (my age), and it's been wonderfully recaived by everyone I've forwarded it to! I'm sure most of us could add to it. I'm fortunate enough to recall my young life in great detail - I was a car buff before I even attended school! For sure, they were great times! Dave Maher

<ul>[*]Precision Coachworks[/list]

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #18

In 1950,when I was 15,I worked at an Atlantic gas station in Glenside Pa. Gas was 24.9, Zerone antifreeze was 40c a quart and so was engine oil. Almost everyone wanted 5 gallons ($1.25). I remember a short-lived gas war when the price dropped as low as 13.9. I worked on Saturdays only - because of school. And only in the winter because I had a summer job in Silverton NJ. It was busy at the gas station and I did lube jobs and oil changes, washed cars, fixed flats, did some mechanical work and pumped lots of gas . In the winter, washing cars was no fun and I was constantly interrupted to run out to pump gas. Remember how gas used to fly out of the fill pipe even when the tank was only partially full? This was especially hard to take with the usual cracked, bloody hands. Some cars had whistle devices so that you got some warning when it was coming at you. Imagine how this would go over with the self-service stations of today! The car companies did a good job of fixing that little problem. Oh and we cleaned windows, checked oil and brake fluid, checked tire pressure and batteries all for free!

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #19

Dave,

Thank you for the memories. That's the way it was for me in the 50's in South Bend Indiana when I was a kid. My first car was a wood-framed 1 1/2 hp Briggs(flathead!) powered sidewalk car my Dad built for me in '57 and which I still have and enjoy. I would gas it up at a Shell station next to the A&amp;P two blocks away and run it on the parking lot on Sundays, or drive it out to Notre Dame and run it up and down the road next to the football stadium. But more often I would just drive it around the block and up and down the alleys in my neighborhood ( and probably drove the neighbors nuts with the straight pipe!) Fortunatly I still live in the area and can revisit my childhood neighborhood often and bring a smile to my mug when I need it. You done good Dave--thanks again!

Bob

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #20

How about dec 7,1941. Remembewr what you were doing that day? Death Valley Days, Green Hornet, G-men, Spanky, Flash Gordon, saturday matinees with serials, RKO newsreels, Buck Jones,Tom Mix. That's enough for now I digress.