Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
learaviator
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lake Havasu City, Az.
Posts: 8
Default !949/1950 F1 differences

Looking at a truck, not sure if it is a 1949 or 1950 F1. Can some one tell me the difference if their is one? Thank you ahead of time!
learaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
Mountaindoc
Member
 
Mountaindoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: East KY
Posts: 42
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

Structurally speaking they were basically the same truck. As far as I understand, the only real differences were in some paint details. Right off the top of my head, the 49 had a full argent silver grill out of the factory while the 50 had a tan color behind the headlights. Now considering it's over 60 years later, those differences are probably not gonna be there. If you're looking at a late 50, it will have a column shifter instead of a floor shifter. And there supposedly were some very late 50's that had the flat panel bed (the raised panel that runs under the fenders was phased out in 51 and on). But I've never seen one either in person or on the net. Do you have the VIN number? There is a really good thread over on FTE which has been aimed at finding the dividing line between a 49 and a 50 VIN for several years now.
Mountaindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-11-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
GreenMonster48
Senior Member
 
GreenMonster48's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Enfield Connecticut
Posts: 560
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

1948 Was the first year of that style, not 49. 48s had tan grills with black wheels, 49 and 50 had the argent grille with body colored wheels. Like Mountaindoc said, those clues may be long gone by now. My 48 has the build date stamped on the firewall with yellow paint. Something I've never seen anywhere else.
GreenMonster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
Mountaindoc
Member
 
Mountaindoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: East KY
Posts: 42
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

Yep, as we both know, 48 was the first year of the "monkey faces". I've got a 49 and a 50. But like we said, you'd be hard pressed to find the original colors on those grills nowadays. The VIN number is the only sure-fire giveaway between a 49 and 50 (unless it's a very late 50 with the above changes).


According to Standard Catalog of Light-duty Ford Trucks 1905-2002, by John Gunnell:

1948

Prototype trucks, seen in many factory photos, had body color grill/headlight mounting panel, while early production trucks originally had Tucson Tan finish there, Argent silver later replaced Tucson Tan and the later trucks also had Argent Silver finished grill bars with red stripes. All 1948 models had wheels done in black.

1949

Body color-coordinated wheels and elimination of the red strip on the Argent Silver grill bare the two most noticeable styling changes for 1949. The headlight and grill mounting panel continued to be finished in Argent Silver, like the late 1948.

1950

This year's trucks were almost carbon copies of the previous year models, although minor modifications were made. The grill recess was finished in an Ivory color.
Mountaindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #5
GreenMonster48
Senior Member
 
GreenMonster48's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Enfield Connecticut
Posts: 560
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

Interesting. I didn't realize 50 had ivory grilles. Seems like there's so much difference within the same year depending on plant and location. Same with the speedo needle colors. Seen them all red, and some silver with a red stripe.
GreenMonster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
Mountaindoc
Member
 
Mountaindoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: East KY
Posts: 42
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

Just the grill "recesses" in the 50's were that ivory color apparently. Pretty much the flat part behind the headlights. But, like you said, every single factory seemingly was different. I pulled that description above out of an old thread on FTE. Somebody else came right behind and showed another excerpt out of another book that had some differences. Here's the link to a very interesting thread on FTE about these VIN numbers. It started out as a quest to find the "cutoff" between the 49's and the 50's. But it has converted into a big pot of information. You said that your build date is stamped in paint. They'd be really interested in seeing a picture of that. First one I've heard of. Plus you can post your VIN and cowl stampings there and they'll tell you a whole lot about your truck.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/42...n-cut-off.html

Just to give the original poster a ballpark idea. My 49 VIN is something like 98RC242000 while my 50 is closer to 98RC324000.
Mountaindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:34 PM   #7
mtflat
Senior Member
 
mtflat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kalispell Montana
Posts: 338
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by learaviator View Post
Looking at a truck, not sure if it is a 1949 or 1950 F1. Can some one tell me the difference if their is one? Thank you ahead of time!
The serial number is the only dependable way since so many parts have been swapped over the last 60 years.

Either post the serial number or email it to me at mtflat@hotmail.com and I can tell you which it is..... unless your's happens to fall right on the margin between the two.

If you can find a production stamping on the firewall post that too. It contains more info than the serial number that's stamped on the data plate, rating plate & frame rail.
mtflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #8
mtflat
Senior Member
 
mtflat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kalispell Montana
Posts: 338
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster48 View Post
1948 Was the first year of that style, not 49. 48s had tan grills with black wheels, 49 and 50 had the argent grille with body colored wheels. Like Mountaindoc said, those clues may be long gone by now. My 48 has the build date stamped on the firewall with yellow paint. Something I've never seen anywhere else.

Most (that have it) are stencilled on with yellow paint. I've seen half-dozen or so with the date - most were 48's iirc.
mtflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #9
Barry-ct
Senior Member
 
Barry-ct's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Newington, Connecticut
Posts: 1,374
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

Any of the speedo clusters I've pulled and restored with the silver pointer were 48's. The heads are stamped in ink with a date of manufacture. Some were faded away, most were legible. The painted needles were 49 or 50. I did have a parts truck that was a 50 and had the smooth sides on the bed. But as stated above, who knows whats been swapped around in the last 60 years. They probably had several suppliers for many parts and they differ slightly from each supplier. To this day, it happens. You had to know which plant your Taurus was built to know which side mirror to order.

Barry

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #10
Mountaindoc
Member
 
Mountaindoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: East KY
Posts: 42
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflat View Post
The serial number is the only dependable way since so many parts have been swapped over the last 60 years.

Either post the serial number or email it to me at mtflat@hotmail.com and I can tell you which it is..... unless your's happens to fall right on the margin between the two.

If you can find a production stamping on the firewall post that too. It contains more info than the serial number that's stamped on the data plate, rating plate & frame rail.
Aahhhh. The VIN master is here too. I should have figured you were. I hope you don't mind that I linked your VIN number thread (which should be made a sticky again IMO).
Mountaindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #11
ct50f1
Member
 
ct50f1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 37
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindoc View Post
If you're looking at a late 50, it will have a column shifter instead of a floor shifter. And there supposedly were some very late 50's that had the flat panel bed (the raised panel that runs under the fenders was phased out in 51 and on). But I've never seen one either in person or on the net.
My '50 F-1 (#97HC312907) was built in August, 1950. It has the flat panel bed sides and a 3-speed floor shifter which was a heavy duty option.
ct50f1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #12
Mountaindoc
Member
 
Mountaindoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: East KY
Posts: 42
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

Wow. That's cool. I'd like to see a pic of it sometime. I take my earlier statement back. I got to thinking about that later, and I do remember seeing one late 50 with a flat panel bed, but only one. It had a column shifter. Have you ever seen a wide back glass in a 50?
Mountaindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:40 PM   #13
mtflat
Senior Member
 
mtflat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kalispell Montana
Posts: 338
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindoc View Post
Aahhhh. The VIN master is here too. I should have figured you were. I hope you don't mind that I linked your VIN number thread (which should be made a sticky again IMO).

I get around, but I don't consider myself the master of anything - just been playing with the numbers for awhile.

It's not my thread over there so help yourself. Carl - texan2004 - started it but he's been tied up with a variety of things the past couple of years so I've been filling in for him.
mtflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:35 PM   #14
learaviator
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lake Havasu City, Az.
Posts: 8
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

Thanks everyone for all of the replies! This forum is awesome, I am gonna love it here. The serial number is 97HC162850.
learaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:45 AM   #15
mtflat
Senior Member
 
mtflat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kalispell Montana
Posts: 338
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by learaviator View Post
Thanks everyone for all of the replies! This forum is awesome, I am gonna love it here. The serial number is 97HC162850.

You are welcome and you have a very early 49 six cyl half-ton pickup. Probably built in Dec 48 or Jan 49.

Back then the model year cut off was approx the calendar year.
Tim
mtflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:05 AM   #16
learaviator
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lake Havasu City, Az.
Posts: 8
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

That is awesome, I was hoping for it to be in the 1940's. It has sat in the same place for almost thirty years, I finally tracked the owner down thru land tax records. This is a link to the post on my blog where we are pulling it out.

http://learaviator.blogspot.com/2011...w-project.html
learaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:51 AM   #17
cmbrucew
Senior Member
 
cmbrucew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North of sandy ago, CA.
Posts: 1,775
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

Hi MTflat
I have one with a # 97HC274122 LB
I believe ford still assembled car and trucks at the Long beach plant thru 1950.
It would be cool if this one was built there. It runs, original engine,solid metal,
every thing there.
cmbrucew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #18
Mountaindoc
Member
 
Mountaindoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: East KY
Posts: 42
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

That's a cool looking truck. Man you guys have it made out there. If that truck was here in Kentucky, it would be rotted to the ground. You say you can't get it started. You might want to take at least the head off and look inside. I got a feeling you'll find the rest of that seat. Especially if it's been sitting that long.
Mountaindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #19
mtflat
Senior Member
 
mtflat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kalispell Montana
Posts: 338
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbrucew View Post
Hi MTflat
I have one with a # 97HC274122 LB
I believe ford still assembled car and trucks at the Long beach plant thru 1950.
It would be cool if this one was built there. It runs, original engine,solid metal,
every thing there.
Hi,
It's cool then - that's what the LB stands for.
Your's is toward the other end of 1949 or early '50 production. Different states titled vehicles differently and your truck is right on the breakover of the year. What does your title say it is?

We do know it's a six cyl half-ton built at the Long Beach plant.

If you find any stampings on the firewall I'd appreciate knowing what those are too. That might tell us which year it belongs to.
mtflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #20
ct50f1
Member
 
ct50f1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 37
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindoc View Post
Wow. That's cool. I'd like to see a pic of it sometime. I take my earlier statement back. I got to thinking about that later, and I do remember seeing one late 50 with a flat panel bed, but only one. It had a column shifter. Have you ever seen a wide back glass in a 50?
Here's a couple of pictures. The picture of the exterior doesn't show the bed that well but the sides are flat.



I haven't ever seen a big back window on a '50 but I've only been working on the truck for a couple of years. I've spent a lot more time around Model A's.
ct50f1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:32 PM   #21
ct50f1
Member
 
ct50f1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 37
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

Just found a better picture of the truck from when it was delivered showing the side of the bed.

ct50f1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:04 AM   #22
Barry-ct
Senior Member
 
Barry-ct's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Newington, Connecticut
Posts: 1,374
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

The big back window and dash changed at the model year change intro for the 51.

Barry

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-13-2011, 08:11 AM   #23
Mountaindoc
Member
 
Mountaindoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: East KY
Posts: 42
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry-ct View Post
The big back window and dash changed at the model year change intro for the 51.

Barry

50 F-1
Yeah. The reason I asked that is because I've heard "legends" of some very late 50's that ended up with wide back windows like the 51-52's. But I think it must have just been that--a legend.

Hey ct50f1, that is an extremely nice truck. Here's my 49. It's definitely not a show truck. Just a good honest farm truck that got a paint job back in the 1980's. I pulled it out of a barn after about a 20 year nap last summer.

Mountaindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:08 AM   #24
mtflat
Senior Member
 
mtflat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kalispell Montana
Posts: 338
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindoc View Post
Yeah. The reason I asked that is because I've heard "legends" of some very late 50's that ended up with wide back windows like the 51-52's. But I think it must have just been that--a legend.
As part of the "vin" series I've been watching for that and in 10 years of research I have never seen a 50 serial numbered truck with a wide window.

Not saying it isn't possible, but none have come to light in several hundred I've seen pics of.

Beautiful trucks, both of you!
mtflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:05 PM   #25
learaviator
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lake Havasu City, Az.
Posts: 8
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbrucew View Post
Hi MTflat
I have one with a # 97HC274122 LB
I believe ford still assembled car and trucks at the Long beach plant thru 1950.
It would be cool if this one was built there. It runs, original engine,solid metal,
every thing there.
As a matter of fact it does say LB on the firewall tag, I was guessing that was Long Beach
learaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:03 PM   #26
cmbrucew
Senior Member
 
cmbrucew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North of sandy ago, CA.
Posts: 1,775
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

MTflat
The stamp on the cowl looks like 15LB9F22A.
Sorry I took so long.
Bruce


Works good
lasts long time
cmbrucew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:44 AM   #27
Dick Webber
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bowling Green KY
Posts: 334
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

I did a lot of research restoring my 49 F-1 (97HC218820) and the ivory grille insert for 50 didn't show up. My truck is a Highland Park truck.
Dick Webber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:07 PM   #28
38 coupe
Senior Member
 
38 coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South Texas
Posts: 709
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences




This is my brother's 50. It has the flat bed sides and the light duty floor shift three speed. It came from the factory that way.

ct50f1, are you sure you have the heavy duty three? Your shifter looks slimmer than the heavy three shifter to me. The heavy threes have a shifter about as big as the four speeds.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #29
ct50f1
Member
 
ct50f1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 37
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 coupe View Post

This is my brother's 50. It has the flat bed sides and the light duty floor shift three speed. It came from the factory that way.

ct50f1, are you sure you have the heavy duty three? Your shifter looks slimmer than the heavy three shifter to me. The heavy threes have a shifter about as big as the four speeds.
No, I'm not sure it's heavy duty. I was told that the lack of a column shifter on a late '50 truck indicated that it was an optional heavy duty transmission. Is there an easy way to tell if light duty or heavy duty?
ct50f1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:01 PM   #30
40ford
Senior Member
 
40ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cherryville,N.C.
Posts: 342
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

38 Coupe,do you know what color red your brothers truck is? Surprised I didn't see anything about the F-1 emblems as a difference.I am not sure but I think the emblems were raised and chrome on 48 & 49.I know the 50 if it is correct should have flat stainless emblems which I don't think they are reproduced.Please correct me if wrong. Russ

Last edited by 40ford; 05-17-2011 at 09:07 PM.
40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:14 PM   #31
Dick Webber
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bowling Green KY
Posts: 334
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

Here's my 49 F-1 97HC218820. Restored in 2000. The color is 1992-96 Ford Truck code EP as I recall. I am a retired PPG auto paint jobber and I could mix the original vermillion in acrylic enamel, but I wanted to use single stage urethane. EP was a very close match to the original red I had. I know of another truck that won AACA senior using the same color. Worked for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2-1 to 3-28-09 129.jpg (128.5 KB, 26 views)
Dick Webber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:51 PM   #32
38 coupe
Senior Member
 
38 coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South Texas
Posts: 709
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

If the side of the transmission has a cast in T87, then you have the heavy duty three. You may have to clean an awful lot of grease and gunk to find out. Mac Van Pelt has a picture of the case on his website: http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/F...D3spd-case.jpg. The light duty three looks like this, again from Mac Van Pelt's website: http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/F...uck_3speed.jpg. The shift levers are also different, but I don't have pictures of each type.

Dick Webber is 100% correct, the color is vermilion. This was Ford's red color for only commercial vehicles for years.

I don't know if there is a year of truck or an assembly plant relation to the stamped vs cast badges. The other difference I have heard about is the 48s had ribs in the back of the cab, in front of the bed. I used to own a 48, but can't remember if it had this feature. Anyone have pictures?

Last edited by 38 coupe; 05-17-2011 at 09:59 PM.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:46 PM   #33
Dick Webber
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bowling Green KY
Posts: 334
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

Here is a rear cab view of my July 1949 F-1 clearing showing 3 strengthening ribs that are concealed when the bed is in place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 49 Ford F-1 .jpg (69.0 KB, 38 views)
Dick Webber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #34
medctr1
Junior Member
 
medctr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: fairbanks alaska
Posts: 15
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindoc View Post
Yep, as we both know, 48 was the first year of the "monkey faces". I've got a 49 and a 50. But like we said, you'd be hard pressed to find the original colors on those grills nowadays. The VIN number is the only sure-fire giveaway between a 49 and 50 (unless it's a very late 50 with the above changes).


According to Standard Catalog of Light-duty Ford Trucks 1905-2002, by John Gunnell:

1948

Prototype trucks, seen in many factory photos, had body color grill/headlight mounting panel, while early production trucks originally had Tucson Tan finish there, Argent silver later replaced Tucson Tan and the later trucks also had Argent Silver finished grill bars with red stripes. All 1948 models had wheels done in black.

1949

Body color-coordinated wheels and elimination of the red strip on the Argent Silver grill bare the two most noticeable styling changes for 1949. The headlight and grill mounting panel continued to be finished in Argent Silver, like the late 1948.

1950

This year's trucks were almost carbon copies of the previous year models, although minor modifications were made. The grill recess was finished in an Ivory color.
Where do the stainless steel grill bars fit in? I have a set on my 49. I do not see them in the listings for optional equipment but I do see them on original pictures of 48 or 49 f1's (ford truck times-it seems the black or white trucks have the stainless grill bars and the other colors have the argent silver grilles.
medctr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #35
40ford
Senior Member
 
40ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cherryville,N.C.
Posts: 342
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

I thought the F-1 emblems were different.1948 and 49 were thick chrome and the 50 was flat stainless?Correct me if I am wrong. Russell
40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:18 AM   #36
Ken Crans
Senior Member
 
Ken Crans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Highland,MI
Posts: 1,196
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't they change the bed in 50' to the flat panel sides? I believe it was an option for the column shifter versus a floor shifter with a HD 3 speed or the light duty 3 speed for 50'.Ken
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #37
GreenMonster48
Senior Member
 
GreenMonster48's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Enfield Connecticut
Posts: 560
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by medctr1 View Post
Where do the stainless steel grill bars fit in? I have a set on my 49. I do not see them in the listings for optional equipment but I do see them on original pictures of 48 or 49 f1's (ford truck times-it seems the black or white trucks have the stainless grill bars and the other colors have the argent silver grilles.
I bought my '48 from the original family. It has stainless grille bars and had a tan grille behind it. Built April 1948 as stamped on the firewall.
GreenMonster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #38
mtflat
Senior Member
 
mtflat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kalispell Montana
Posts: 338
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by medctr1 View Post
Where do the stainless steel grill bars fit in? I have a set on my 49. I do not see them in the listings for optional equipment but I do see them on original pictures of 48 or 49 f1's (ford truck times-it seems the black or white trucks have the stainless grill bars and the other colors have the argent silver grilles.
Think about it for a moment. Only black and white film then. There was no white in the 48 line-up except perhaps for special fleet order. Black, Red, Yellow, Gray, Green - 5 colors.

I have a '48 F6 with a fairly early vin. It was original red with stainless bars.

I can't say how late they went but by '50 the Korean conflict was ramping up and it's safe to bet that ss and chrome were becoming more expensive. Painted grills became more common and whether it was mfg or customer choice I can't determine.

EMBLEMS: All I can tell you is my 48s appear to be chromed potmetal, my 50 has stamped stainless steel emblems
mtflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #39
medctr1
Junior Member
 
medctr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: fairbanks alaska
Posts: 15
Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

thanks
medctr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 AM.