Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2019, 09:42 AM   #1
tommyleea
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Missouri
Posts: 164
Default 272 oiling issues

I am aware of the top end oiling problems on the 272, however, I am stumped. I removed the distributor from my engine to manually spin the oil pump, and check the oiling. Engine is in the truck. I connected a direct pressure oil pressure gauge. I get oil pressure from 20 to 60 psi, but I don't see any oiling at the rocker shafts. I have tried this numerous times. Rotated the engine by hand to see if that would change things, but no luck. I assume there should be some sort of oiling at the rocker shafts, although it may be minimal. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions? Thanks for any help. Truck has been sitting for a long period. Oil is fresh.
tommyleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:20 AM   #2
KULTULZ
Senior Member
 
KULTULZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Somewhere Between Lost and Found
Posts: 2,220
Default Re: 272 oiling issues

What year truck and do you know if the engine is original to the truck?
__________________

My LITTLE THUMB SCREW asks one night -

"Let's watch a good horror movie tonight..."

'OK .... Where are our wedding videos?"

And then the fight started ...


KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-05-2019, 10:31 AM   #3
Ole Don
Senior Member
 
Ole Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St. Michael, Minnesota
Posts: 1,517
Default Re: 272 oiling issues

I would remove the rocker shafts to open the lines as much as possible, then plumb a line into the oil galley. There are several places along the lower left side of the block to do this. Then give it a shot of 120 PSI air to try to blow the lines and holes. It this wont work, you may need to remove the heads and try again. Maybe run a drill down the oil holes in the head until it comes out semi clean.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:32 AM   #4
tommyleea
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Missouri
Posts: 164
Default Re: 272 oiling issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
What year truck and do you know if the engine is original to the truck?
Truck is a 55. Motor supposed to be original..numbers all point to a 272, but the dipstick is up front so maybe from a car. The pan is rear sump, and the dipstick looks like it has been shortened.
tommyleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:36 AM   #5
tommyleea
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Missouri
Posts: 164
Default Re: 272 oiling issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Don View Post
I would remove the rocker shafts to open the lines as much as possible, then plumb a line into the oil galley. There are several places along the lower left side of the block to do this. Then give it a shot of 120 PSI air to try to blow the lines and holes. It this wont work, you may need to remove the heads and try again. Maybe run a drill down the oil holes in the head until it comes out semi clean.
That sounds like a good place to start. Thanks
tommyleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:31 AM   #6
poolplayer1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 190
Default Re: 272 oiling issues

I could be wrong but I think that the 272 first came out in the 56 trucks. The 55 had eighter a 223 six or a 239 V8. Yours may be a 239 rather than a 272 but like i said,I could be wrong. I'm sure some of the better skilled guys here can verify the info.for you.
poolplayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:58 AM   #7
tommyleea
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Missouri
Posts: 164
Default Re: 272 oiling issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolplayer1 View Post
I could be wrong but I think that the 272 first came out in the 56 trucks. The 55 had eighter a 223 six or a 239 V8. Yours may be a 239 rather than a 272 but like i said,I could be wrong. I'm sure some of the better skilled guys here can verify the info.for you.
It does get confusing. I used the data charts from Y blocksforever. All the data points to a 272, which was available, according to the info in the charts. Thanks for the heads up.
tommyleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:09 PM   #8
KULTULZ
Senior Member
 
KULTULZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Somewhere Between Lost and Found
Posts: 2,220
Post Re: 272 oiling issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyleea View Post

It does get confusing. I used the data charts from Y blocksforever.

All the data points to a 272, which was available, according to the info in the charts. Thanks for the heads up.
Have you identified by the components CASTING ID NOS as to exactly what you have?

The 54-55 had a cross-drilled cam whereas the valve-train receives oil only at certain cam positions (ninety degrees).

It seems that FORD began with a 272 bottom end and a 239-256 top end towards end of 1955 production. But a truck 272 is not cataloged for 1955 truck.
__________________

My LITTLE THUMB SCREW asks one night -

"Let's watch a good horror movie tonight..."

'OK .... Where are our wedding videos?"

And then the fight started ...


KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:44 PM   #9
darrell
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: p.e.i.
Posts: 713
Default Re: 272 oiling issues

ive seen this all my life.how simple to get the dipstick along with whatever base you are using but many cant seem to do it.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 05:25 PM   #10
scicala
Senior Member
 
scicala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Detroit suburb, MI
Posts: 2,578
Default Re: 272 oiling issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolplayer1 View Post
I could be wrong but I think that the 272 first came out in the 56 trucks. The 55 had eighter a 223 six or a 239 V8. Yours may be a 239 rather than a 272 but like i said,I could be wrong. I'm sure some of the better skilled guys here can verify the info.for you.


Poolplaye1 is correct. The 272 wasn't put in the F series until '56. In '55 the F100 came with a 223 six or a 256 Y-Block (same as '54 Mercury minus the 4 barrel carb).


Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:49 PM   #11
KULTULZ
Senior Member
 
KULTULZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Somewhere Between Lost and Found
Posts: 2,220
Post Re: 272 oiling issues

EBU - 1954 239CI FORD PASS CAR - DIF
EBY - 1954 256CI MERC PASS CAR

EBV - 1954-55 239CI TRUCK - CF
EBZ - 1954-55 256CI TRUCK - CF

Read this thread to see the confusion - http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic148090.aspx

There have been several accounts such as this described. Trouble is, no one will give the ID INFO off the engines to try and sort it out.
__________________

My LITTLE THUMB SCREW asks one night -

"Let's watch a good horror movie tonight..."

'OK .... Where are our wedding videos?"

And then the fight started ...


KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:45 PM   #12
paul2748
Senior Member
 
paul2748's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Midland Park, NJ
Posts: 2,501
Default Re: 272 oiling issues

If you have the cross drilled cam rather than the cam with a groove it it, it will be harder to get the cam in the right position. Move the cam a little at a time to get the holes on the right position.


It might be easier to check for oil with the rocker assemblies off


If the truck has been sitting for a long time as you said, the holes or the trough may be plugged.
__________________
48 Ford Conv
56 Tbird
54 Ford Victoria
paul2748 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:47 PM   #13
dmsfrr
Senior Member
 
dmsfrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Abq, NM
Posts: 2,077
Default Re: 272 oiling issues

To further the engine displacement confusion, from the John Mummert Y-Block webpage...
http://ford-y-block.com/Block%20identification.htm
"ECG 272 cu. in V8 1955 to 57 cars and trucks. Typically Dearborn casting."

If you don't have an early cross-drilled camshaft and cleaning the rocker shafts and oil passages in the head from the top doesn't help you, you may have to pull the heads.

Oil comes up thru the block from the center cam bearing to the heads thru a 5/16" passage and turns a 90* corner at each head gasket. (these corners are not shown in the simplified oiling diagram)
There is a shallow groove in the bottom of the heads almost 2 inches long and another 90* turn into a 1/4" passage up thru the heads.
The shallow groove with a turn at each end easily becomes clogged with sludge if non-detergent oil was used, along with infrequent oil changes.

The photos and measurements are from a '56 ECZ-A (Cleveland foundry) block and ECZ-C heads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Y-Block Oiling System Diagram.jpg (38.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg oil hole, block.jpg (60.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg oil hole head, bottom.jpg (56.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg oil hole head, top.jpg (64.6 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 10-05-2019 at 08:16 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:04 AM   #14
KULTULZ
Senior Member
 
KULTULZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Somewhere Between Lost and Found
Posts: 2,220
Post Re: 272 oiling issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post

To further the engine displacement confusion, from the John Mummert Y-Block webpage...

http://ford-y-block.com/Block%20identification.htm

"ECG 272 cu. in V8 1955 to 57 cars and trucks. Typically Dearborn casting."
What he is saying is that the 272 was introduced in the 1955 model run. It went to PASS CAR in 1955 and may have gone to TRUCK in the late 55 model run, 1956 definitely.
__________________

My LITTLE THUMB SCREW asks one night -

"Let's watch a good horror movie tonight..."

'OK .... Where are our wedding videos?"

And then the fight started ...


KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:32 AM   #15
tommyleea
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Missouri
Posts: 164
Default Re: 272 oiling issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
What he is saying is that the 272 was introduced in the 1955 model run. It went to PASS CAR in 1955 and may have gone to TRUCK in the late 55 model run, 1956 definitely.
I have the ECG block with the ID by the distributor. Also ECG heads.

Last edited by tommyleea; 10-06-2019 at 07:34 AM. Reason: add info
tommyleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:36 AM   #16
tommyleea
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Missouri
Posts: 164
Default Re: 272 oiling issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
If you have the cross drilled cam rather than the cam with a groove it it, it will be harder to get the cam in the right position. Move the cam a little at a time to get the holes on the right position.


It might be easier to check for oil with the rocker assemblies off


If the truck has been sitting for a long time as you said, the holes or the trough may be plugged.
I will do a little more rotating, and if nothing then pull the rockers. Thanks
tommyleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:36 AM   #17
KULTULZ
Senior Member
 
KULTULZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Somewhere Between Lost and Found
Posts: 2,220
Post Re: 272 oiling issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyleea View Post

I have the ECG block with the ID by the distributor. Also ECG heads.
You have a 272. Do you know what a DATE CODE CASTING I.D. is? That (and the Assembly Date Stamping) would narrow it down to when it was cast/assembled.
__________________

My LITTLE THUMB SCREW asks one night -

"Let's watch a good horror movie tonight..."

'OK .... Where are our wedding videos?"

And then the fight started ...


KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:04 AM   #18
tommyleea
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Missouri
Posts: 164
Default Re: 272 oiling issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
You have a 272. Do you know what a DATE CODE CASTING I.D. is? That (and the Assembly Date Stamping) would narrow it down to when it was cast/assembled.
I will have to do some research on that. Thanks
tommyleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:01 PM   #19
KULTULZ
Senior Member
 
KULTULZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Somewhere Between Lost and Found
Posts: 2,220
Thumbs up Re: 272 oiling issues

If you need help/direction on finding the info, just ask.

Are you comfortable posting the first five characters of the VIN here?
__________________

My LITTLE THUMB SCREW asks one night -

"Let's watch a good horror movie tonight..."

'OK .... Where are our wedding videos?"

And then the fight started ...


KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:30 PM   #20
tommyleea
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Missouri
Posts: 164
Default Re: 272 oiling issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by kultulz View Post
if you need help/direction on finding the info, just ask.

Are you comfortable posting the first five characters of the vin here?
f10v5r
tommyleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 PM.