Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-10-2019, 03:04 PM   #1
Bob NH

Default Pickup bed

Looking for answers to a couple easy questions. Was there ever a rubber pad between the sub frame and frame rails on 42-47 pickup beds or just metal to metal ? Also, when anybody has installed wood instead of metal over wood, how many boards and how wide ?
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:52 AM   #2
D. Jones

Default Re: Pickup bed

On my 45 pickup there were rectangular rubber pads between the box frame and the pickup frame. Mine had a later box on it when I got it but I assume that the pads were what was used originally to keep down squeaks. Mine had been a flatbed when my in-laws got it. It went with a wood sub-floor with metal on top for my box as I wanted to be able to use it to haul stuff and not worry about gouging the wood. Wood box floors look nice but I would beat one up quickly.
D. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:47 AM   #3
blucar

Through the years I have noted a very strange difference between Ford and GM pickup bed floors. Ford favored steel decks on the majority of their pickup beds throughout the product line, whereas GM was a diehard with wood decks until about 1968 when GM started to offer pickup beds with either wood or steel.
The reputed reason why GM preferred wood decks was that the wood decks held up better in farming applications than steel. Steel decks are very slippery when wet, especially when they are wet with body waste products.
Ford made the claim on many occasions that he attributed much of Fords success to the number of Ford products purchased by the American farmers.

It is a known fact that large animals stomping around on a steel deck will bend the deck, whereas wood will not bend under the same load.
I guess the material used on the deck of a pickup box is not what the customer wanted, more of a case as to what H. Ford wanted,
Old 08-11-2019, 01:46 PM   #4
Bob NH

Thank you gents, I was beginning to wonder if being an old white guy disqualified me from answers to questions I have now and then on this site ? All good now !
Old 08-11-2019, 04:10 PM   #5
Lawson Cox

Smile Re: Pickup bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NH View Post
Thank you gents, I was beginning to wonder if being an old white guy disqualified me from answers to questions I have now and then on this site ? All good now !

Bob NH. I'm probably older than you (88) and I post questions (about things I knew but have forgotten.) Get answers right away. Love this place.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:39 PM   #6
Bob NH

Lawson, you have me beat by 4 but in Jan. it will be 3 . Not in a hurry to catch up though ! I hope you are as healthy as I am, Dr. just inspected me and extended my warranty for a few more. The end of the roll is a ways off I hope.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:45 AM   #7
D. Jones

When one of my Dr's says to make another appointment at what ever the time interval is, 3 months, 6 months or a year, I take that as a good sign that they expect me to last at least that long, although lately the appointment time intervals are getting shorter. This being a seasoned citizen isn't easy.
D. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:17 AM   #8
Bob NH

I suppose "seasoned" is one way to put it, "experienced" is another ? Think positive friends