Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2018, 09:29 AM   #1
russcc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,125
Default USA mfg screws

Is there still a source for USA made screws. When you use the imported ones in, for example garnish moldings, the head size is to small, sinks into the countersink to far, and does not look right.
Got some #10 flathead screws from McMaster Carr, and they spec. in their catalog the head diameter as .385, which the ANSI standard for a #10 head. When I got them, they were .340, and sunk to far in the countersunk hole.
I have gotten #12 floorboard screws from Roy N,, and there were right on the money, but some of their products were not. Any ideas, or is that the way it is.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:55 AM   #2
1937sedandelivery
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 255
Default Re: USA mfg screws

I use Bolt Depot. They list all the screw dimensions. So far, it has worked well for me. I don't know where they source their screws from.
gregg
1937sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-03-2018, 12:53 PM   #3
J Franklin
Senior Member
 
J Franklin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: oregon
Posts: 3,907
Default Re: USA mfg screws

Have you looked at the kits sold by the Ford parts suppliers?
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 02:37 PM   #4
rustythumb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: orange co. ca.
Posts: 137
Default Re: USA mfg screws

shouldn't you be using oval-head screws on garnish mouldings? also, roy n. sells screws with oversize heads.
rustythumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:11 AM   #5
glennpm
Senior Member
 
glennpm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Wiscasset, Maine
Posts: 712
Default Re: USA mfg screws

I've had good quality hardware from this company:


http://www.althafastener.com/


https://www.ebay.com/str/althafastener
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:34 AM   #6
Krylon32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,253
Default Re: USA mfg screws

I noticed on the cars I have upholstered my guy uses a oval head trim screw with a little countersink washer attached. They seem to work just right in my deuces. I have no idea where he gets them?
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:48 AM   #7
qmdv
Senior Member
 
qmdv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 691
Default Re: USA mfg screws

I am a big fan of bolt depot
qmdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:48 PM   #8
rotorwrench
Senior Member
 
rotorwrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 10,262
Default Re: USA mfg screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
I noticed on the cars I have upholstered my guy uses a oval head trim screw with a little countersink washer attached. They seem to work just right in my deuces. I have no idea where he gets them?
They are likely available from automotive trim supply sources in most small screw sizes. If not, I get them from aircraft hardware supply sources like aircraft spruce. Airplane interiors have to come out for every inspection so they use a lot of this stuff to this day. There are several styles depending on what is being attached and whether the flush look is desired or not.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:52 AM   #9
svm99
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Garlic Country of CA
Posts: 426
Default Re: USA mfg screws

You might try Gardner Wescott, they have a website.
svm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:10 PM   #10
russcc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,125
Default Re: USA mfg screws

That's a lot great ideas, thank you. I will let you know what I find out there.


I gave a garnish molding as an example only. The oval head screws I got from Lebaron Bonney, for interior trim, like garnish moldings also had undersized heads, and sank into the countersink in the molding to far. I believe this is an imported issue, so the vendors would have to get their products from the USA or ones that follow the ANSI standards.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:26 PM   #11
rockfla
Senior Member
 
rockfla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 1,308
Default Re: USA mfg screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by russcc View Post
That's a lot great ideas, thank you. I will let you know what I find out there.


I gave a garnish molding as an example only. The oval head screws I got from Lebaron Bonney, for interior trim, like garnish moldings also had undersized heads, and sank into the countersink in the molding to far. I believe this is an imported issue, so the vendors would have to get their products from the USA or ones that follow the ANSI standards.
Russcc


By and large, there are NO major USA screw producers. EVEN following ANSI, SAE and ASTM standards.....there are Min/Max tolerances and it seems through out the "fastener" world today....mills are producing "more" to the "Min" than to the "Max. Measure bolts the next time you buy some they will be just shy of the "actual" advertised length!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:31 PM   #12
russcc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,125
Default Re: USA mfg screws

Sad but true.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:26 PM   #13
rotorwrench
Senior Member
 
rotorwrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 10,262
Default Re: USA mfg screws

Screws made under MS and NAS aircraft/aerospace standards are generally still made in USA but the types used for trim were long ago outdated and most aviation stuff is phillips head cross recess types anyway. A lot of the old aviation stuff can't be used on aircraft anymore due to a quality standards act back in the 90s that requires the part have manufacturer's code, lot number, and date of manufacture plus a certificate of conformity. Folks try to sell the stuff on flea-pay now and then but I can't use the stuff anymore due to the current rules & regulations. I save it for automotive use now.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:17 AM   #14
rockfla
Senior Member
 
rockfla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 1,308
Default Re: USA mfg screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Screws made under MS and NAS aircraft/aerospace standards are generally still made in USA but the types used for trim were long ago outdated and most aviation stuff is phillips head cross recess types anyway. A lot of the old aviation stuff can't be used on aircraft anymore due to a quality standards act back in the 90s that requires the part have manufacturer's code, lot number, and date of manufacture plus a certificate of conformity. Folks try to sell the stuff on flea-pay now and then but I can't use the stuff anymore due to the current rules & regulations. I save it for automotive use now.
Rotorwrench


Yes the "aircraft" industry is completely different animal to the "commercial/Industrial" world and in general a much smaller segment. I have been in this industry for most of 34 years and to be honest I am amazed that Roy Nacewicz is able to offer "some" of the bolts he does for our hobby as they are not available in "normal" commercial/industrial markets in the "form" they need to be for "our needs". I hope that when the time comes "someone" will have the desire and "pockets" to keep that resource available!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:38 PM   #15
john in illinois
Senior Member
 
john in illinois's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,853
Default Re: USA mfg screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
Russcc


By and large, there are NO major USA screw producers. EVEN following ANSI, SAE and ASTM standards.....there are Min/Max tolerances and it seems through out the "fastener" world today....mills are producing "more" to the "Min" than to the "Max. Measure bolts the next time you buy some they will be just shy of the "actual" advertised length!!!

I have noticed this with cotter pins.Many are made at the low end of the tolerance. I have started using aircraft.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:05 PM   #16
russcc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,125
Default Re: USA mfg screws

I will see what Aircraft & Spruce has.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:16 PM   #17
philipswanson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bonita, CA
Posts: 904
Default Re: USA mfg screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
Have you looked at the kits sold by the Ford parts suppliers?
Too expensive and off shore! Junk!
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:46 AM   #18
RB
Senior Member
 
RB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: papillion nebraska
Posts: 250
Default Re: USA mfg screws

I realize this is an older thread but may be of some help for those going the route I chose. after getting my 32 coupe garnishes regrained I didn't want to risk chipping the finish & found small clear plastic washers at ACE hardware & Home Depot as well, & using the #6 phillips oval head s.s. trim screws got the results I hoped for. I first used an old garnish moulding & a wood scrap & applied the washer & screw through the moulding & tightened it into the wood scrap to shape the washer to the counter sink. I chose to use an old garnish to prevent deforming my refinished ones by over tightening. The various hardware stores/ lumber yards often times stock the automotive trim fasteners with the beveled metal washers attached which I have also used with a bit of lube to prevent the washer from hanging up & chipping the finish. Before I'm chastised for the non original type advice, let me add in my case this is an overall original appearing vehicle & just an idea that my suit a few. Good luck, Ron
RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:18 PM   #19
35fordtn
Senior Member
 
35fordtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: McMinnville, TN
Posts: 1,264
Default Re: USA mfg screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustythumb View Post
shouldn't you be using oval-head screws on garnish mouldings? also, roy n. sells screws with oversize heads.
Roy at one time had #12ís with a #10 head which was slick, and had oversized head screws as well. He ran out of both a few years ago and they have been obsolete ever since.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:55 PM   #20
Tony, NY
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Capital of Corruption , NY
Posts: 664
Default Re: USA mfg screws

Trim screws for old cars usually a head size smaller than the actual screw size.
Not a hardware store item.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 AM.