Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-21-2016, 08:22 PM   #101
flatjack9

Default Re: Engine block I.D. pictures

The round water hole in the center denotes it as a Mercury block - 3 3/16 bore x 3 3/4 stoke.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:20 AM   #102
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Chris View Post
Rather than start a new thread, I figured this would be a better place.

Recently got this block and trying to ID it. From everything I can find it appears to be a 239 from a 39-41 (closer to 41?) truck based on the stamp on the left rear of the block 99T-638628 and the lower water passage.

From what I can gather this is a good block but one question is whether parts for a "59" block will fit properly.

That block is usually a 41-42 Merc type block - or a block that was used in WWII for a variety of uses. There is a bunch of flathead lore about this 'keystone' block being thicker and the cat's ass for a big bore stroker motor. Truth be told, they are not really any thicker or better than other years - just another perpetuated myth. I just built this same block/engine for my 32 Cabriolet - only because I wanted a pre-war block and this is the best one. Mine was essentially a NOS block - came in a create from WWII - STD bore, had just been broken (the engine) then not ran/used.

I have my own sonic tester and have tested a lot of different blocks - can find no consistent correlation between block year/type/nomenclature and being thicker than others.

As some noted, it should have the earlier valve angles (32-42) - but they are only slightly different from the 46-53 engines. There is some debate whether or not the 39-42 Mercuries used the LATE valve angle or the early one - I've never been able to confirm this. (To move the valves further away from the bigger 3 3/16 bore).

Valve angle: 32-42 = 101.45 degrees, 46-53 = 100.026 degrees

It is always wise to check for valve to head clearances - especially if you're running the early (small chamber) heads and/or an unknown cam. You can do this with a gasket and some modeling clay - you'll want .060+ minimum over the valves at the top of the pockets in the heads (which is where they would hit if they are too close).
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-22-2016, 10:36 AM   #103
rotorwrench

I haven't worked on any 41/42 Merc/truck blocks or wartime ones either but the 99 block that I have seen (1939) does have thicker walls. Maby not a lot thicker but noticably thicker through the water jacket ports than a 59 series. FoMoCo was changing the castings in the 41/42 time frame plus the wartime stuff may have been affected by shortages of materials. The most common wartime vehicles I've seen that had US built V8 engines were big COE transport trucks. I don't know how many were made for the war effort but I've seen pictures of them in Red Ball Express photos and others. These trucks were easy to maintain and the engines could be changed quickly if the maintenance facility had the cradle tools. Ford made a lot of G8T trucks but they were all 6-cylinder. Ford made other conventional cab big trucks for fire engines and they made the bomb loaders but I don't know if they had V8 engines or not. The bomb loaders resemble the CMP trucks made in Canada. My Pops outfit in Foggia, Italy had both the fire trucks and the bomb loaders. I just wish he were still around to answer questions about them. I'm sure all that stuff stayed in Europe & North Africa after the war.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:47 AM   #104
AZ Chris

Thanks everyone. Much appreciate all the information!
AZ Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:33 PM   #105
G32

Btt
G32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:29 AM   #106
FritzJr

Back to the top. Lots of good info here.
FritzJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:33 PM   #107
31Abone

Thanks for posting ..very good info ..sc
31Abone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:50 PM   #108
v8fordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac VP View Post
I like this idea! Someone did this some years ago....I think for an article in the EFV8 Club mag. Pics were a little grainy.
I wrote that article years (decades) ago long, before digital cameras. If I recall, the pictures were in black and white....anyone remember them?
v8fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:57 AM   #109
G32

Bsck to Top

See 36 LB ID --post # 14
G32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:37 PM   #110
David J

BTT Some questions currently this should help with .
David J is online now   Reply With Quote