Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-16-2015, 09:09 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default Truck based woody

Anyone have a photo or two of a wood wagon built on a '42-'47 truck platform? I am in the process of gathering the parts I need. I am a cabinet and furniture maker with 44 years experience in custom woodwork. The first 10 of these was in wood boat construction. I am hoping to combine my passion of ford trucks with my vocation of woodworking and build one of these. Google search didn't find much on Ford trucks, but saw some really cool chevs, gmcs, dodges etc. Thanks. I have a 1/2 ton chassis but the cab for it is way too good to cut up just to get a cowl. Could use a cab with bad corners and floors. I could fix lower cowl if need be.
'47 1/2 ton pickup next project, '47 one ton panel 99% stock nearing completion, '47 2 ton with 8ba and 9' script stakebed, '46 1/2 ton woodie project,'59 F350 9' flareside pickup with cummins 6at. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:14 PM   #2
38 coupe

Default Re: Truck based woody

The only good Ford truck wood station wagon pictures I know of are on the next generation trucks in this thread over on FTE:http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/43...-of-these.html
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:11 PM   #3
wga

GB - are you on the Yahoo Woodie Group? This type of question is not unusual for that group. One of the best woodie wood guys - Rick Mac is up your way.
Cantrell, Hercules and a few others did those type of builds. Just saw a real nice Dodge
and International Harvester woodies. A gathering of the faithful is coming up near San Diego next month - Wavecrest, you would see those types of woodies.

http://www.oldwoodies.com/gallery-truckwoodies4.htm

Last edited by wga; 08-16-2015 at 11:13 PM. Reason: added link
wga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:23 PM   #4
GB SISSON

Thanks guys. This has been helpful. Last Friday I brought home a '47 tonner rolling chassis. It would make a cool HD woody, but really think the 1/2 ton would be more user friendly when finished. Besides, then I could use that nice cab on the tonner frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4549.jpg (83.7 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg halfton.jpg (81.6 KB, 172 views)
'47 1/2 ton pickup next project, '47 one ton panel 99% stock nearing completion, '47 2 ton with 8ba and 9' script stakebed, '46 1/2 ton woodie project,'59 F350 9' flareside pickup with cummins 6at. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 08-17-2015, 03:10 AM   #5
big job

I agree GB its the cowl and windshied problem not to cut up a good one. My case
it was a mint no mile 1933 Plymouth PD. I wrote to Chrysler in 1960 all they said was
we made a few chassis only. Researched body builders at that time few 33 Dodges
but no Plymouths. My mother worked for a Dr who gave it to her (he raised shepards) it had about 4500 miles and bought it new. I suspect he bought a new
car and had it built locally. I would like to do this but finding a chassis cowl sheet
metal is impossible, so thats pipe smokin. Here is a 1959 photo of this rare car. sam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150428_022628_resized.jpg (46.3 KB, 368 views)
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:11 AM   #6
GEOFFNZ

The New Zealand army had quite a number '42 Ford V8 woodie wagons on the half ton jailbar chassis.I think they were built here from the cowl/windscreen back.I remember them being sold at army surplus sales in the mid fifties and all in good order. A lot were used as tradesmen's vehicles but don't know of any survivors which is not to say that there aren't one or two tucked away somewhere.My father bought a '42 one ton Ford truck out of the army in 1945. Geoff
GEOFFNZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:46 AM   #7
GB SISSON

Once again, good info. I haven't ventured into the world of facebook yet. I'm holding off as long as I can. I have a lot of jailbar parts and 3 59ab flatheads. I kind of hate to sacrifice the complete pickup in the earlier post, but it has a good title and box floor, fenders and tailgate are pretty bad. The cab I'm looking at to cut is on a 1 1/2 ton truck with no bed or engine. Seems a good candidate because the door bottoms are rusty and so are the floors. No title.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:00 AM   #8
woodiewagon46

Ford never made a "Woodie" other than those made on automobile type chassis. GMC, Dodge and IH however made a truck type "Woodie". What you are describing is what is known as a "phantom". I wouldn't cut up a restorable car to build one, but I would start with a chassis and cowl. I have seen several "phantom" woodies and some were very nicely built. With your woodworking background it shouldn't be a problem.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:41 AM   #9
41ford1

Here is a link to a good article on woody bodies. http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/h/herc...s_campbell.htm

Forty1fordpickup on the HAMB.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:46 AM   #10
BrianCT

You will need a titled frame and any cab .
Old 08-17-2015, 12:49 PM   #11
mrtexas

A woodie body is quite a complicated thing. However on my 36 woodie most wood is flat and straight except for the roof frame. On the later woodies like 42-51 there aren't many pieces that are straight. If you have made wood for boats making a body shouldn't be a problem for you. The woodie makers out there now are making the whole thing including fiberglass firewalls. It would be helpful for you to have access to a 46-48 woodie to get an idea of how to shape the pieces. I think a 4 door sedan would be a better starting point than a truck. http://www.woodiewood.com/for_sale.htm
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:09 PM   #12
Fordors

GB, I think you will like this past thread-

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...die#post560891
Old 08-17-2015, 07:44 PM   #13
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordors View Post
GB, I think you will like this past thread-

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...die#post560891
Thank you, I like it a lot! I never buy new stuff. I have lots of parts here, but all truck parts. All ford except for a lot of landcruiser parts and two running wagons, one diesel, one gas. My original plan was toyota frame and running gear for ps, pb, 4wd etc but too short, even the wagon. Now I lean twds the '47 1/2 ton frame with or without landcruiser gear under it. I can't afford to be a purist or buy fiberglass parts or special chassis. I use what I have and as for the truck sheet metal I feel that I don't have to build it 'correct' if I do it truck style as they got built by whoever. And... Like I said I only have truck parts here. Mostly jailbar, which I prefer over the more car-like 40-41 sheet metal. This thing won't be seeing Pebble Beach unless maybe I'm living in it someday and stay at the Walmart parking lot there. Thet DO have a Walmart at Pebble Beach don't they?
Old 08-17-2015, 08:07 PM   #14
41ford1

Granted this pic is not a Ford, but I think if you built a similar body on a 42 - 47 chassis it would look right. All the side pieces are flat. I certainly would not be opposed to having something like that.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:24 PM   #15
GEOFFNZ

That looks very similar to the Jailbar based New Zealand army versions.Geoff
GEOFFNZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:08 PM   #16
truckdog62563

Here's the Midstate Campbell's F-2. I have an original hard copy I can Xerox and mail if you want it. Think I still have your address.

Here's a half ton. I have a hard time seeing past the 18" "milk truck" high clearance wheels.

And I know I have a pic somewhere of a '47ish tonner woodie but can't find it. I'll post it if I find it. Stu
Old 08-17-2015, 09:13 PM   #17
GB SISSON

Flat looks great on that curvaceous front end.... Why wouldn't it look great on a jailbar truck? My wife just gave me the green light on heading to Eastern Washington after work on Thursday to pick up the cab and front clip there. The cab would be cut down for the woody and the front clip since it has the larger fender openings would go on the tonner chassis I just bought. The half ton jailbar has two other sets of front fenders in the bed, and a NOS set of jailbars I have been hanging onto because they are too good for most of the wrecks I bomb around the island in.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:11 AM   #18
truckdog62563

Gary - I mentioned to you once that I've had a dream of doing a truck based M-H woodie. Seems to me that use of a donor pickup cowl and floor section doesn't give a means of attaching the rear fenders. I was thinking that a panel truck would be a better donor body. Have you thought of another way to interconnect rear fender structure? Stu
Old 08-18-2015, 10:12 AM   #19
GB SISSON

Thanks for the offer on literature Stu. As far as the rear fenders I guess I assumed they were attached to the wood structure. The framed plywood panels should be very strong and when an inner fender or tub is incorporated it could be flanged to the floor. Keep in mind I would not be trying to copy or reproduce in exact detail any truck based woody built in the 40s or 50s. Mine would be based on what I can find locally and isn't too expensive. I would like to enjoy it for a couple of years and then perhaps sell it most likely here on the island. I have a long history of selling trucks to the clients I build furniture and cabinets for. They move here with a couple of european luxury cars and don't have anything to go to the dump with. I had my diesel converted '54 gmc 3/4 ton on Seattle Craigslist for three weeks with only one call so one Saturday morning I put it in front of the grocery store with a for sale sign on it and had two calls before I got back home. The second guy was really disappointed not to get it. Same story with my old '38 tonner, a '34 1 1/2 ton, '40 ford 1/2 ton and a '53 dodge 1/2 ton, a 51 F3 and a '32 1 1/2 ton. This island is a perfect place for vehicles that like to run 40 mph. These people who buy these don't ever take them to car shows and they like them a bit faded but new brakes and reliable.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:46 PM   #20
jerseyboy

The 32 woodie does not have a full metal floor, but the wheel wells are attached to flanges on the section of floor between them. Thought this might be helpful.

Keep V-8ing and 4-banging!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0994.JPG (76.4 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg Upperwoodgone.jpg (40.8 KB, 174 views)
Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another
To see if I'd do a little good,
But ain't no place to put it
'Less I perforate the hood.

Wanted, lower side sections of 32 radiator cowl.
jerseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:48 AM   #21
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboy View Post
The 32 woodie does not have a full metal floor, but the wheel wells are attached to flanges on the section of floor between them. Thought this might be helpful.

That's what I'm talking about. Wood floor with steel wheel tubs. I would use perhaps two layers of 5/8 plywood bonded together, staggering the joints and vacuum press maybe 1/4" solid wood to it. Would it be typical to use bed strips? Oh some bad news the '47 truck on CL was sold when I called to tell him I had ferry reservations for Friday. The listing said 400.00 or any offer considered. Ya snooze yo lose. Something else will come up in the meantime. I really need to complete my tonner panel this winter, but will continue to gather parts and research this woody project. Here's the one that got away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg odessacomplete.jpg (33.9 KB, 56 views)
Old 08-21-2015, 08:14 AM   #22
jerseyboy

GB,

If you notice, the area between the wheel wells is sheet metal. The piece consists of five parts; the two wells, two side sections, and a center section. All the pieces are spot welded at flanges, except the wells, that are spot welded on the main surface. The wood floors consist of a front frame made of maple and oak and two floor boards inside the frame, made of 11/16 thick 5 ply plywood. The rear sections on either side of the wheel wells/floor pan, are maple floor boards running perpendicular to the frame and fastened to the frame and pan.

Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another

Old 09-04-2015, 03:03 PM   #23
GB SISSON

Quote:
GB,

If you notice, the area between the wheel wells is sheet metal. The piece consists of five parts; the two wells, two side sections, and a center section. All the pieces are spot welded at flanges, except the wells, that are spot welded on the main surface. The wood floors consist of a front frame made of maple and oak and two floor boards inside the frame, made of 11/16 thick 5 ply plywood. The rear sections on either side of the wheel wells/floor pan, are maple floor boards running perpendicular to the frame and fastened to the frame and pan.

We still need to keep in mind that with a truck based woody, the builder might not have had all those same parts, perhaps just the cowl. I have purchased (traded for) 4 jailbar trucks, one is a 1/2 ton panel that has spent some time on it's roof.... Perhaps just the ticket for those wheel wells an has decent rear fenders too! There's also some nice cabs, seats, a nice tonner with new tires and a title, a factory cowl piece for jailbar delivery trucks, a running 8ba, a complete 1/2 ton pu with a title, 2 extra panel doors, two extra truck doors, 2 very good rear 1/2 ton pu fenders etc etc.... I am on my way to cutting one of the cabs with bad back corners and floors to make a good cowl piece. I still have 3 more loads East of the cascades to finish it out...... What I'm wondering so I can start some preliminary mock-up and thought process over the 3 day weekend is does anyone have specs/drawings of a 1/2 ton jailbar panel? The one I'm getting is still ovr there til next week or two. Also interested in what the normal panels have above the windshield to accept the wood top framing. On that great video that was posted a while back, he was pounding wood into some kind of recess at the header. Anyone have a un-built woody can show a picture? Thanks much in advance. Took the ugliest stuff first so I wouldn't run outa steam and leave some over there. Next trip will be the tonner or the panel. Too bad no back doors on it.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4646.jpg (97.3 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4654.jpg (97.9 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4660.jpg (93.6 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4668.jpg (83.0 KB, 78 views)
Old 09-04-2015, 04:39 PM   #24
Bill

Within the past two or three years a jailbar woodie was featured in the "Woodie Times" the monthly newsletter of the National Woodie Club. Can't remember where it was located. I'll see if I can find the copy and let you know which issue it was. The truck was very well done. Can't remember if they retained the original drivetrain.... Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:52 PM   #25
truckdog62563

Here's the half ton panel and light duty cab/chassis. If you want the tonner drawings I have them too. Also, please email me your address so I can mail the Campbell Midstate diagram. I'm sure I still have it but finding it is another matter. Stu

Old 09-04-2015, 07:23 PM   #26
GB SISSON

Wow, Thanks Stu. I think I'll start with a 1/2 ton truck based woody, perhaps sell it when complete. Next I will build a tonner based woody for myself. How cool would that be? This haul from Twisp looks better and better as I scrape off the moss. Under the moss and needles is very solid sheet metal. That doesn't happen west of the cascades..... I will soon have my very own junkyard consisting entirely of jailbar trucks, and maybe another today... It can't be any worse than the stock market. Have you ever tried to gaze upon or fondle a stock market shareholder certificate? I haven't, but a really nice 1/2 ton rear fender? Or two? ...... Off to dinner with the missus, will get serious with drawings tomorrow. GB

Last edited by GB SISSON; 09-06-2015 at 06:23 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:03 PM   #27
Mtn Wudy

As a kid in High School I drove a 1947 Ford 1/2ton Panel...Next to Woodies they are my favorite ..That said at the Wavecrest Woodie Meet three years ago the was a Woodie built in a 1/2 Ton Ford Panel chassis...He drove it to the meet from New York...He too was a Woodworker and adjusted a lot of the lines of a passenger Woodie....It looked good and didn't look Fake or Made-up....! I'll look at my National Woodie Club Rooster and see if I could find a contact for you...Good luck on your project.....Carl...
Old 09-04-2015, 11:21 PM   #28
Mtn Wudy

Like a "Dummy" I hadn't read the 2nd page before I wrote my reply..I didn't see and hadn't read "Bill's " reply....That Woodie is the same one that drove to Wavecrest...Anyway,,We're pullin' for Ya,,,,We're all in this thing together....Carl...aka..Slim over at "The Lazy S Ranch" Montose,CO.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:40 AM   #29
Bill

So I dug thru the pile and found Sept /13 copy of Woodie Times. Get ready to cash in yours and the wifes' 401 K. The build is spectacular I'd estimate 80/100K to do it. The truck is located in Cedar Mi. Wood by Mike Nickels of Traverse City Mi. to resemble 41/48 wood. Built on a Wagoneer chassis. Maybe another NWC member can upload the article. Beyond my limited skills. All in all a very well executed job just not cheap! By the way Wavecrest takes place in Encinitas Ca. Sept 17/20. Am I going? You bet! Lotsa flathead and modified woodies all in one place. I'll take some pics of the originals and try to post when I get back... Bill
Old 09-05-2015, 09:52 AM   #30
truckdog62563

This should be it. Stu

Old 09-05-2015, 11:57 AM   #31
Ralph Moore

That is a beautiful truck!
Ralph Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:45 PM   #32
Bill

That's the truck! Thanks Stu now do you have any more pics to post? The truck is titled as a 42. Powertrain is by GM. Again a well executed project... Bill
Old 09-05-2015, 12:52 PM   #33
truckdog62563

Somewhere I have pics that Gary wanted of the joint where the wood meets the metal of the windshield surround. But I'm away from home today so will post it later. Stu
Old 09-05-2015, 05:29 PM   #34
scooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdog62563 View Post
Here's the half ton panel and light duty cab/chassis. If you want the tonner drawings I have them too. Also, please email me your address so I can mail the Campbell Midstate diagram. I'm sure I still have it but finding it is another matter. Stu

Stu,
You got those pics but for the 1/2 ton pickup?
Be lovely to see them.
Thanks,
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:44 PM   #35
truckdog62563

Pickup.

Stake bed

Old 09-05-2015, 08:24 PM   #36
truckdog62563

Maybe this could help too, even though it's a '37. Stu

Old 09-05-2015, 10:52 PM   #37
Mtn Wudy

Wow,,,I stand corrected.....I was a few States Off....Sure enough that's the truck I was thinking of...Thanks Bill for following through,and yes he's in the Directory... Maybe one of us could contact him and get him into the Post....
PS ..I'm still up in the air if I'm gunna load up the car and head to Wavecrest..Carl
Old 09-06-2015, 11:35 AM   #38
GB SISSON

Thanks tons Stu and others! It's pouring out and most of this new metal is still outside so I hope to do a little research today. As miraculous as it sounds, a summer resident just across the county road has a nice collection of vintage vehicles in an 8 car garage. One is a beautifully restored '40 ford woody wagon. I don't know him too well, but I'm thinking since it's Labor Day weekend he may be at his vacation home so I plan to drop in on him if he's there.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:36 PM   #39
scooder

Thanks for the pics stu.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:28 PM   #40
GB SISSON

Talking Re: Truck based woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Thanks tons Stu and others! It's pouring out and most of this new metal is still outside so I hope to do a little research today. As miraculous as it sounds, a summer resident just across the county road has a nice collection of vintage vehicles in an 8 car garage. One is a beautifully restored '40 ford woody wagon. I don't know him too well, but I'm thinking since it's Labor Day weekend he may be at his vacation home so I plan to drop in on him if he's there.
Dang, talked to his wife and he sold it.... Cleaned and surveyed 2 '47 cabs trying to decide which one to cut off at the header and rear floor. Such a tough decision. One is a better cowl and one has a better floor. Back east or rust belt, you'd get horse whipped for cutting up either one!
Old 09-07-2015, 09:33 PM   #41
GB SISSON

This morning I set about with the sawzall and angle grinder. I will be replacing the floor sections and sills with reproduction pieces before woodwork begins in earnest. Aside from the cowl, none of the sheet metal in the photos will be used on the woody, as I have better pieces set aside. What I have accomplished today will allow me to carefully measure and plan what I intend to do. When I needed a break this afternoon I went to a buddy's place and we dug up 4) 16" innie wheels all with 7.00x16's that are plenty good for rollers. That was a huge plus!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4772.jpg (43.6 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4803.jpg (56.0 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4814.jpg (82.1 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4819.jpg (71.7 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4805.jpg (83.3 KB, 159 views)
Old 09-08-2015, 12:04 PM   #42
jerseyboy

Wow, a man on a mission. I can post pictures of how a 32 header is assembled, but I don't think it will be as helpful as a later woodie.

Keep V-8ing an d 4-banging!
Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another

Old 09-08-2015, 03:40 PM   #43
GB SISSON

Quote:
Wow, a man on a mission. I can post pictures of how a 32 header is assembled, but I don't think it will be as helpful as a later woodie.

Keep V-8ing an d 4-banging!
Or a man posessed.......
Old 09-09-2015, 01:50 AM   #44
Gary-UK

I am in the throes of doing a couple of 39 woodies and have all the original wood apart and can take pictures of any of the ford joints etc that you need. Just PM me with what you need.
Gary-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:27 AM   #45
GB SISSON

Thanks Gary. It will be winter before I can start on the wood and I'm sure I will have questions. Picked up another load on Wednesday. The second of 3. None of this batch will be cut up. Last load will be the tonner and a 9' script stakebed , more doors and a running 8ba. Once again I'll be doing 30 mph over Washington Pass wound out in second gear, leaving a blanket of grey diesel smoke for the enjoyment of all those people riding my a$$. State law mandates you pull over after you have accumulated 5 cars in your wake. It's kinda hard to see how many there are through the haze..... Here's Wednesday's haul.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4824.jpg (66.9 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4839.jpg (60.8 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4841.jpg (54.1 KB, 87 views)
Old 09-17-2015, 10:51 PM   #46
GB SISSON

3rd load was on Tuesday. I left Anacortes at 4:30 am from a motel. Arrived in Twisp after snow in Washington Pass at 9 am. Loaded up the tonner, the script bed, the 8rt , the panel rear doors and who knows what else and then stopped to buy some trim pieces and more fenders from a CL ad in East Wenatchee, lastly to Marysville Wa where another CL lister had a bed for an f3 that fit my tonner that was loaded on my trailer. I have been wondering about rear fenders for jailbar pickups. After careful measurements, seems the crown or ridge line on a pickup fender is where the panel truck fender has it's flange. In other words, the more common pickup rear fender can be cut there and flanged to become a rear fender for a panel, or in my case , A woody.....After I caught the 9 pm ferry I was home in bed at 11:30. I'm no math expert but that's like a 16 hour day on the road. I have everything I need to build the woody now but the wood, and with bi-weekly deliveries to the cabinetshop from a large mainland hardwood supplier, that's the easy part. I know they are '39 rear doors but we are gonna switch belt lines. Not like that is gonna be easy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1008.jpg (49.4 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4848.jpg (71.8 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4855.jpg (58.6 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4853.jpg (56.0 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4859.jpg (51.3 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4858.jpg (58.1 KB, 96 views)
Old 09-18-2015, 10:25 AM   #47
Ralph Moore

It's starting to look like a woody already!!
This will be a great thread to follow, I'll love seeing this one completed.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:28 PM   #48
GB SISSON

Been doing some copying from the 1/2 ton panel. Tonight after work I built and installed frame extensions as on the panel. These extend the frame rails 5 1/2" rearward. I also milled crossmembers that will be the first actual wood for the project. As previously stated, I am mocking things up with the current beat up sheet metal installed. I will be able to rough out the details and not worry about having to climb on the hood or other parts or ding them by being covered with tools etc. The current front clip will be removed for engine/tranny install, king pins, brakes etc. and as completion nears, will be replaced by the nicest sheet metal I have, which is now safely stored in a shed. The way things are going, I will probably get the shape of the body together before I remove everything back to the bare frame for mechanical work. This creative phase is just too much fun to stop now and do yet another brake job etc......
Old 09-19-2015, 02:43 PM   #49
GB SISSON

I really should have gone to the woody meet in San Diego. I am sort of laying out the floor plan or footprint of the body using these pickup fenders. I have now seen quite a few photos of commercial based woodies on various chassis. Most are rather slab sided, which is fine, but I want the sharp ridged crown of the pickup fenders to be parallel to the wood sides. They were from a parallel sided pickup box with no wheel tubs inside, which is stock '40-'47 ford 1/2 ton. I can take care of this with a wedge shaped forward section which includes both front and rear doors, then becoming parallel sided after the rear doors. The width of the rear section of the body would be something like 60-61" wide without going down to check. The flanged section of the un-cut pickup fenders would protrude inside the body and require a sturdy inner panel which would have a substantial flange to mate to the floor. I ask because it looks like most woodies have the angle or 'wedge' change behind the front door, not the rear door. It also seems the '40 ford built woody is quite a bit straighter in line than the '46, so I lean towards that look for my one-off commercial rig. I hope this makes sense. Thanks for any help as I start out.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:22 PM   #50
Ralph Moore

Any updates? I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the next update on your progress!
Old 09-26-2015, 09:06 PM   #51
GB SISSON

Unfortunately we are getting really busy with work in the woodshop again so the wody has to wait a bit. My employee took Thursday off so I went at it all day on my project. Today, being Saturday I got to finish up and now I have the rear fenders set up for good and the plywood subfloor bolted down. The plywood subfloor is some pressure treated 3/4 ply leftover from a bathroom remodel a few years back. Then I used some 1/8" steel sides from an old fire engine to make inner fenders. I have a lot of maple and a lot of marine plywood stashed away. As far as the 80,000.00 needed to build this thing, so far it has been some galvanized bolts from the local hardware store. I have a good running 8ba and a bunch of carbs and distributers, not to mention water pumps and generators and starters. I have collected good used tires all my life as a secondary passion, so I'm good to go there too. This will never be the 1000 point woody some dream of, but it will be a solid example of how a truck based commercial would have been produced on a small scale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4865.jpg (67.8 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4869.jpg (82.4 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4870.jpg (79.6 KB, 117 views)
Old 10-18-2015, 11:08 PM   #52
GB SISSON

Work has indeed stayed busy, then we have had 6 members of my wife's family visiting since Friday. They caught the morning ferry off the island today so I busted out some scrap lumber, plywood strips and some sheetrock screws and started mocking up the woodie in three dimensions. None of what you see here will be a final part of the wagon, it's only a rough layout. Since I have seen photos of commercial woodies with just two doors like a panel truck, I was tempted, but decided to lay it out as a 4 door wagon. The rear passenger doors will have 4 square corners without a curved cut-out at the rear fender, making them easier to build and far stronger. In the photos you will see I used an extra panel truck passenger side door I had for the mock-up to lead into the shape of the body lines. The panel doors have a square top corner that mimics what I will be building from wood. So far just some sticks and screws, but it is still fun to look at and visualize the outcome. I have about a thousand board feet of clear 1" western white pine, sometimes called sugar pine or pattern pine. I plan to make the two main longitudinal roof rails from 3 laminations of this. It is a very close color match to the maple but easier to machine. It will be covered in black material on the exterior and only exposed on the interior. The structural body will be maple with maple veneer panels. We have a vaccuum press that will press up to a 4x8 sheet, so I can make the panels with exterior glue. My plan is to build the body with the doors and rear gates and retain the ability to lift it off when it's near completion. At that point I will install the engine/tranny and do brakes, kingpins etc without having to crawl around on the floor. I know it's kind of backwards, but I have to keep my interest up and I'm kind of like an excited kid wanting to see the woody come together. The mechanical part is not that exciting as I have done all the procedures many times on past Ford trucks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woody patterns 022.jpg (70.5 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg woody patterns 027.jpg (72.9 KB, 132 views)
Old 10-19-2015, 08:53 AM   #53
Ralph Moore

Mock ups are good, gives you an idea of what the end result will look like. And this one looks like it will turn out great!
Old 11-04-2015, 01:37 AM   #54
GB SISSON

Got an afternoon to make some progress. Working on the longitudinal roof stringers. They are quite clear pine and the boards laid out flat are shaped sort of like an elongated hockey stick. There are a right and left stack of 5 hockey sticks each laminated up. About 4x4 now and curved in two directions. I know with all the rattle traps I've written about and photographed here, many of you may be rolling your eyes that this beatnick is building some kind of woodie out of scraps and an old hammered pickup. I spend my days building furniture, doors, and cabinetry for clients, who along with their interior designers and architects who are very demanding. After work and weekends I have to do it differently. 'Free style' if you will. I am enclosing a shot or two of a dining set I recently built for our Washington State Treasurer and his wife so you will see I can do proper work when called upon to do so. I feel pulled to do a neat job of the woodie, might even spray on the paint when I get all the nice sheet metal I have saved in one of my sheds. Think I gotta brush the varnish though. Too many years working in boatyards in my younger years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woodie progress top rails 036.jpg (75.7 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg woodie progress top rails 064.jpg (58.0 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg woodie progress top rails 066.jpg (58.3 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg woodie progress top rails 085.jpg (75.7 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg woodie progress top rails 091.jpg (76.7 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg Zoombrowser pics 269.jpg (63.5 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg Zoombrowser pics 345.jpg (64.0 KB, 146 views)
Old 11-04-2015, 02:45 AM   #55
Flowmeister

I don't know about anybody else, but i'm diggin' what you're doing here.
Flowmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:48 AM   #56
JSeery

Nice looking work!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:30 AM   #57
GB SISSON

Thanks guys, I'm itching to build the door posts and rear corners now. Trying to work on parts that I already have the material for. Looks like I need to order some maple which would arrive a week from today. In the mean time I will work on the 59 ab that is the most likely engine for this project. With all the flathead trucks I have had over the years they have all been 4 speeds. Never owned or driven a car or half ton with a 3 speed. Are they syncro-mesh units? Like the general public could drive this thing when complete?
Old 11-04-2015, 10:42 AM   #58
sidevalve8ba

Yes, second and third are synchronized and if working properly they shift, as my old friend from Jersey says, "smooth as buttah".
sidevalve8ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:39 AM   #59
jerseyboy

Dining set is beautiful! I don't think anyone can question your skills. Besides, when building anything, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another

Old 11-04-2015, 10:45 PM   #60
GB SISSON

Thanks for the vote of confidence. The people on this site are so highly experienced and professional I sometimes feel like some kind of a hick the way I do things. 20 years ago I had occasion to stop at the 'Sportsman Shop' in Alger Wa. Bob Brown builds only ford Sportsman wood bodied convertibles. He does all phases from the ground up. A mossy old metal building in the woods, a bunch of homemade tools his son as his employee, a bunch of parts trucks and a hand painted wooden sign over the door. After I spent an afternoon there I was humbled and no longer felt the need for high end tooling and european made woodworking tools and cad drawings (whatever they are). My shop was kind of like his. His cars grace the likes of Pebble Beach and win high honors with the best of what comes out of the most exclusive shops in the country. Correct me if I'm wrong. I know very little about show cars having only been to one car show and that as a visitor. Didn't look all that fun to me, but neither does golf and that is hugely popular they say.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:28 PM   #61
GB SISSON

Got my 3" maple a couple weeks ago. Have been mapping out my strategy from here. Today I got a rare break to finish up steel brackets and measure all the angles and lengths for the body pillars. During the last month I have been scouting up grille bars for most of the hulks I hauled from Twisp because if my property is gonna be covered with a bunch of jailbar trucks, they can at least have their jailbars. Work has stayed really busy in the furniture realm and that pays the bills so I guess that's a plus. Next weekend we will be going to Shelton Wa while helping my wife's son and his family move to a new job. Hoping to looking at the '40 ford woodie that resides there for inspiration, but also understand I won't be working on mine til after Christmas (or to some 'the holidays')
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5202.jpg (64.3 KB, 39 views)
Old 12-06-2015, 09:43 PM   #62
Fordors

GB, somehow I missed your post about visiting the Sportsman Shop, and I couldn't agree more. It is not the shop or equipment that accomplishes tasks, it is the builder. The truck is coming along nicely and that table and chairs ain't half bad either!
Old 12-06-2015, 10:39 PM   #63
VeryTangled

Quote:
Work has stayed really busy in the furniture realm and that pays the bills so I guess that's a plus.
Yes to that!

Sorry I'm such a pill, but why not support the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

My avatar courtesy of 41ford1. Pic is him and Ol' Ron.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:23 PM   #64
willowbilly3

Did you ever get your jailbars and windshields from the post office? I might have another jailbar ton and a half front clip next time I go to ND. He wants 2 bills but I can do some trading. I have a plan for 2 sets of those fenders to get cut up and make one set of rear fenders for an imaginary dually project. Anyway, any straight bars I find will have your name on them.
willowbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:29 PM   #65
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowbilly3 View Post
Did you ever get your jailbars and windshields from the post office? I might have another jailbar ton and a half front clip next time I go to ND. He wants 2 bills but I can do some trading. I have a plan for 2 sets of those fenders to get cut up and make one set of rear fenders for an imaginary dually project. Anyway, any straight bars I find will have your name on them.
Though I mentioned that I finally made the 2 mile drive to the post office and picked them up. I already straightened the 3 bent center bars and painted and installed them along with six of the other ones. Only six left to go. That's on my tonner pickup project. I feel like a juggler with all these projects, all this work and a family with grandkids that want wooden toys from Grandpa Walton. Sheesh, I just want to work on the woodie again tomorrow.... And thanks again for the Christmas box!
Old 12-08-2015, 05:23 AM   #66
willowbilly3

I must have missed that.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:24 AM   #67
GB SISSON

After work I roughed out the rear posts and set the laminated roof stringers on top for the first time. Next I will shape the stringers to fit into the square recess on each side of the windshield header, then shape the wooden 'V' piece over the windshield and cut out the steel header panel to accept it. I think after that I will rabbet out the other 4 posts for doors and set them up to the stringer. The panel truck door that is temporarily installed on the passenger side sits 5" above the running board so That is my benchmark for the bottom of the wood structure. My 4 rearmost floor to post brackets are 3x5x 3/8" angle which is quite heavy, but a neighbor had it and he also has a power hacksaw so he cut them for me last weekend. They are in for now with lags but will be replaced by # 14 flathead screws and stainless carraige bolts when I get to town. The 3/4" t x g fir decking will be routed out to cover the bottom part and I plan to radius the top of the brackets and paint them before I fasten them in for good. The rear posts at the front doors are connected by a piece of 2x2 square tubing with gusseted straps. The 2x2 spans the rear of the cab and fortifies the cab floor in the absence of a rear cab wall. As little as is there, it feels pretty rigid. Yes it's a bit overbuilt, but it's a truck.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg real wood 004.jpg (54.3 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg real wood 020.jpg (64.5 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg real wood 026.jpg (38.9 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg real wood 037.jpg (39.3 KB, 95 views)
Old 12-15-2015, 10:03 PM   #68
GB SISSON

I pick away at this when I can. Unheated shop, cold today but my employee took a half day so at noon I switched gears and did more work on the woodie...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5395.jpg (50.8 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5397.jpg (72.9 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5402.jpg (81.1 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5403.jpg (65.0 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5405.jpg (51.7 KB, 100 views)
Old 12-16-2015, 09:26 AM   #69
RalphM

Looking good! How did you tie the header in place?
I just noticed in the second set of pics, second picture you've got a tool I have. It's hanging on the post, nearest I can figure it's to bust down tires, off wire wheels.
Am I right?

Last edited by RalphM; 12-16-2015 at 09:32 AM.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:21 AM   #70
GB SISSON

The header has 2 wood 'biscuits' , two dowels and a 6" x 5/16" star drive construction lag into each maple post. I have the steel now to fab the welded interior brackets as well. It will also have another wood member approx 2" x 5" attached to it at at near 90 degrees that will be routed for the ceiling slats. The front header will be similar in most respects. My truck woodie was never intended to look anything like the Ford built station wagon. It will look a bit like a '40 Ford woodie wagon, but not a whole lot. It would never get points at pebble beach, that's for sure....That tool is a tire bead breaker. I would be lost without it. I have broken down countless truck tires on split rims with it, as well as modern tubeless tires. I use a cheater pipe often on the lever. Beads come loose with this thing. They have to.....
Old 12-17-2015, 12:33 PM   #71
GB SISSON

I was thinking about this last night.... The header is tied into the rails with biscuits, dowels and another 6" lag. It is the roof stringers that fasten down to the rear pillars. All the joints are also fastened with 3M 5200 marine adhesive sealer. Very tenacious and stays rubbery for flex. For 25 bucks a tube it ought to. At the forward header the stringers are mortised into the windshield posts with the 5200, but I couldnt be sure I had all the voids filled so I drilled a 3/8 hole from the inside and through the steel and the stringer and pumped in a half a tube of the adhesive like you would a grease gun. Messy, but it cleaned up ok. Well, back to the paying work in the shop.....
Old 01-03-2016, 05:54 PM   #72
nospartsman
BANNED

When you get your Woody done you will be swamped with orders to build more.
Back in the day(they still do) Ford offered "drive away: chassis with just a cowl. The one without a windshield was often used on moving vans with large overhang above the windshield of their own design. The cowl with the header would lend itself to another Woody. Although these are not for sale. There should be a few more stashed somewhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1670.jpg (49.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1671.jpg (77.7 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1668.jpg (81.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1669.jpg (84.3 KB, 52 views)
nospartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:55 PM   #73
GB SISSON

I have a nice example of the cowl without windshield. It is exactly like the one you show. Today I mounted the wood header over the windshield into my woodie. After that it was the one larger curved roof beam at the B pillar. I will post a pic later, but my wife just got home from the mainland with 'take-out mexican food'. We don't have anything like that on the island. Thank God for microwaves. (and smart wives)
Old 01-03-2016, 10:25 PM   #74
GB SISSON

The header has more curve than the beam behind it. I felt much better when I looked at the similar interior shot of a correct 47 woodie station wagon. My header has a curved bottom instead of Ford's vee shape. That just evolved through the build. It will have a valence covering it's rearward face so we don't see the unsightly spaces and gaps. I'm hoping to cut the other six roof beams in the shop tomorrow morning before we resume regular 'for pay' work because I'm all set up for the radius ..... The last photo is from a barner that build a correct ford style woodie wagon, not a renegade 'off the cuff' commercial job like mine. I am basing my version roughly on this and the youtube video by Alec Guerreo and what I think a small shop in a small town would have built from a pickup for a local resort to pick up their guests at the train station. I'm thinking in 1947 there were a lot of skilled woodworkers in the US job market. They got their training building wood airframes, boats and during the recent war would have been trained in the building of d-day gliders, pt boats and all manner of complicated wooden conveyences.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yellow wheel, woodie beam etc 015.jpg (33.6 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg yellow wheel, woodie beam etc 024.jpg (62.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg yellow wheel, woodie beam etc 032.jpg (64.0 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg inside.jpg (63.4 KB, 103 views)
Old 01-03-2016, 10:36 PM   #75
1952henry

Nice job so far!
Old 01-04-2016, 01:58 AM   #76
expavr

Your vision and the woodworking skill required to pull it together is mind boggling. I'm trying to understand how you are tieing all the components together. Did you dovetail the stringer at the point of connection with the roof beams? Its hard to tell from the photo of that joint. Do you plan to tie the stringer, roof beam and B pillar together with a steel angle brace like that shown in the photo of the 47 woodie?
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:51 AM   #77
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by expavr View Post
Your vision and the woodworking skill required to pull it together is mind boggling. I'm trying to understand how you are tieing all the components together. Did you dovetail the stringer at the point of connection with the roof beams? Its hard to tell from the photo of that joint. Do you plan to tie the stringer, roof beam and B pillar together with a steel angle brace like that shown in the photo of the 47 woodie?
Not a dovetail, but a pocket cut made with a router and a wood pattern. It will be glued, scerwed and tatoo'ed. This beam is larger in size than the intermediate beams. This first one is 1 3/4 x 1 3/8. Above the top of the beam I will rout down a 1/2 inch to accept the roof slats. I have already made and installed the steel brackets at the floor to hold the base of the posts. 3/8" thick angles. The tops are held by one 'construction lag' with a star drive washer head. This goes through the pine stringer and 4" into the 3x3 maple pillar. There is also a beech wood 'biscuit' that us woodworkers have used for about 30 years to replace dowels and sometimes mortise and tenons. At this point the posts are in dry for removal if needed, such as easier mortising door hinges/latches etc. On final assembly I will drill through the stringer and add a 5/8 hardwood dowel down into the post. Lastly I will add the T and L steel brackets which I just bought the steel strap for. Where needed I will place a stainless carraige bolt through the pillar and steel bracket. 3m 5200 marine adhesive will fill the joint, biscuit and 5/8 dowel. Before putting fabric on the roof I will fill all holes that pass through the radiused longitudinal stringer. I know these joints will need to stay strong while experiencing considerable stress. The 3m adhesive goes a long way towards achieving that goal with it's tenacious grip and flexible properties. Ok, now I'm late to work......
Old 01-04-2016, 08:02 PM   #78
nospartsman
BANNED

Before you go any further, make two of everything. Someone is going to want a Woody like that when you're done. (easier to do now)
nospartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:15 PM   #79
GB SISSON

Been making plywood patterns and jotting down notes on them. Tonight after work I got the beams finished and routed into place. Next I will rout the stringers down a half inch in a rabbet so the roof slats will lay on the beams.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woodie top bows 008.jpg (62.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg woodie top bows 010.jpg (60.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg woodie top bows 020.jpg (61.7 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg woodie top bows 023.jpg (79.2 KB, 64 views)
Old 01-07-2016, 08:50 PM   #80
GB SISSON

We started a big cabinet job yesterday but today my employee called in with a 'personal day'. What's a guy to do?.... I worked on the woodie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roof on woodie 002.jpg (46.7 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg roof on woodie 004.jpg (47.1 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg roof on woodie 011.jpg (59.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg roof on woodie 012.jpg (77.7 KB, 60 views)
Old 01-07-2016, 09:10 PM   #81
Joe777

Quote:
We started a big cabinet job yesterday but today my employee called in with a 'personal day'. What's a guy to do?.... I worked on the woodie.
Truth be told, we paid him to take a day off so we could see more progress on the woody .
Joe777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:56 PM   #82
RalphM

That is really taking shape. Going to be a beautiful one of a kind woody!
Old 01-11-2016, 12:53 PM   #83
jerseyboy

GB,
Looking great! What will you be using for door hardware? Are you going to pick up some repo stuff or make due?
Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another

Old 01-13-2016, 08:55 PM   #84
GB SISSON

Quote:
GB,
Looking great! What will you be using for door hardware? Are you going to pick up some repo stuff or make due?

There is a VERY old hardware store in Anacortes where the ferry docks. They have all kinds of old time door latches. They will be just right. Work in our 'resort area' gets slow in winter so I wll; only buy what I can trade for or get really cheap. Today I got a chance to do some milling on the belt line moldings. What I am trying to do is introduce the 'commercial truck' belt line into a woodie. I have a one ton panel and various trucks with this exact beltline. Here is a mock up I did afrer work today to show my version of ford's commercial truck beltline incorporated into a woody wagon.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beltline stuff 013.jpg (71.4 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg beltline stuff 008.jpg (47.0 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg beltline stuff 006.jpg (57.8 KB, 103 views)
Old 01-14-2016, 08:32 AM   #85
jerseyboy

Nice match, looks good!
Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another

Old 01-21-2016, 10:59 PM   #86
GB SISSON

Well I got tired of spending the last ten days trying to coax a few more psi compression out of my old 8ba, so today I quit work early and mortised in the permanent belt line pieces. Stressful router work with the rear pillar attached permanently but I got through it. Next time I will assemble the rear quarter panels as a completed unit, built on the workbench......But with no plans I gotta fly by the seat of my pants.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beltline 008.jpg (65.6 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg beltline 016.jpg (53.4 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg beltline 015.jpg (71.1 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg beltline 023.jpg (76.0 KB, 93 views)
Old 01-22-2016, 11:29 AM   #87
Vanspeed

Very impressive work! The belt line looks great.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:41 PM   #88
Graeme / New Zealand

GB just read the whole thread. You are a man with a vision and very talented and I like your sense of humour (humor). Absolutely beautiful work. I'm going to keep up to date with this thread.

regards
Graeme (the other GB)

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:50 PM   #89
GB SISSON

Well, with work picking up the woodie takes a back seat but I manage a few hours in now and then. Made some thin plywood and cardboard patterns, did some routing into the pillars and spent way too long getting the rear fenders plumb, square and true to the floor structure. With the fender crowns returning in towards the body as they do on '40-'47 half tons, the shape of the arch changes dramatically with a little tilt of the fender's mounting. Now I'm ready to set up for finger jointing and making up these curved members around the fenders. I have collected a bunch of 5/8" shims and washers and plan to stack 10" sawblades with spacers on my table saw to create the finger joints. Should work ok.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cooking blocks and woodie panels 016.jpg (51.5 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg cooking blocks and woodie panels 029.jpg (75.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg cooking blocks and woodie panels 033.jpg (73.5 KB, 92 views)
Old 01-29-2016, 10:09 PM   #90
VeryTangled

Quote:
...and spent way too long getting the rear fenders plumb, square and true to the floor structure.
Hi Everyone, Even though I may never see this vehicle, I'm confident it will turn out in such a way to take my or your breath away!

Thanks for bringing us along for the journey.

Sorry I'm such a pill, but why not support the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

My avatar courtesy of 41ford1. Pic is him and Ol' Ron.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:52 PM   #91
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme / New Zealand View Post
GB just read the whole thread. You are a man with a vision and very talented and I like your sense of humour (humor). Absolutely beautiful work. I'm going to keep up to date with this thread.

regards
Graeme (the other GB)
Het Graeme, I picked up take out chinese take out this afternoon as I was on the mainland where they have such stuff. It came with fortune cookies of course. Mine made me think of you... " Others appreciate your sense of humor today"...... I do try
Old 01-29-2016, 11:27 PM   #92
Graeme / New Zealand

Well GB you bring some interesting threads to this forum and there's always a laugh in them somewhere. We need to all get back to a relaxed way of life like in the days "before the world went mad". I'm learning now not to "sweat the small stuff" we're not here for a long time but we should be here for a good time

cheers
Graeme

Old 01-30-2016, 09:05 AM   #93
mhsprecher

What a cool project. Others have already said it all, but I am in awe! ;-)
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 03:34 PM   #94
GB SISSON

Got an early Sunday start at about 4:30 am. Couldn't fall back to sleep, so what the heck. Yesterday I made up the finger joints with my dado blade and some assorted washers. Worked ok, good enough for a truck. All these new maple parts will be coming off for final fitting and joining. The panels you see are just 1/8" door skins and cardboard and I wanted to check proportions before I finalize things. It's getting pretty fun now as it takes shape. It's back to work tomorrow.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg finger joints and alder door 001.jpg (58.6 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg finger joints and alder door 015.jpg (56.1 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg finger joints and alder door 022.jpg (67.4 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg finger joints and alder door 036.jpg (77.5 KB, 122 views)
Old 01-31-2016, 07:38 PM   #95
41ford1

That is coming along very nicely. You might have an additional income source there. Taking orders?

Old 02-01-2016, 12:34 AM   #96
Mtn Wudy

I Hope you can get it ready for Wavecrest........What a cool truck...
Old 02-01-2016, 08:37 AM   #97
jerseyboy

Lookin' really good!!! It really looks like a woodie from one of the woodie builders of the past.
Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another

Old 02-01-2016, 11:06 AM   #98
GB SISSON

With a lifetime of custom woodworking as my vocation running neck and neck with a hobby (obsession) with old ford trucks it was just a natural progression. Something I just had to try. Thanks to that fateful trip to Bob Brown's 'The Sportsman Shop' in Alger Wa. 20 some odd years ago, I learned that one doesn't need state of the art tooling to do good quality work, as witnessed by his masterful wood convertibles. Many of my contemporaries in this field have huge, well equipped shops with Gigantic and complicated looking German and Swiss made woodworking machines with self feeders and LED readouts and 3 phase power. Funny, we get most of the high end work here. We have a couple of early makita chop saws, 2 table saws from yard sales (powermatic and unisaw), 1930's 6" delta joiner, a router table andthree ww2 vintage bandsaws, and a 20" taiwanese planer. Typical sanders and power planes, routers, with a drawer full of chinese bits from Grizzly. Oh and 2 really cluttered shops. Thanks for the continued support in my efforts. I'm making patterns and taking notes. I have spent more time researching, mocking up, re-doing and figuring and re-doing again than I have actually spent on constructing. Next time I will have full sized patterns, and the rear quarters will be completed and assembled on the bench, not one piece at a time stood up on the chassis!
Old 02-09-2016, 11:20 PM   #99
GB SISSON

So the record temp for today in Seattle was 62 but we made 63 today. I told my employee I was workin on the woodie..... It does not look changed much but for the first time the maple exoskeleton is joined together with well glued 1/2" plywood splines, mortise and tenon joints and 3m 5200 marine adhesive sealant. No more mockups, no more patterns, no more movie sets. What I'm saying is there is no backing up now. The panels will be able to be removed from this structure and finished/veneered as I see fit. I made parts for both sides but this side is easier to photograph. The 3m is known by boatey types as 'pinky', 'bubblegum' and other names. It is a tan colored, rubbery, tenacious glue. This will be a very tough and resilient vehicle, although maybe harder to repair than an original. Tomorrow I can't take the day off, but I have the parts ready so at quitting time I can assemble the drivers side to match. After I find a 42-50 truck 3 speed tranny I should have this thing able to motor in and out of the shop for the upcoming good weather. I already have the brake parts and a choice of engines.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 036.jpg (65.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 037.jpg (62.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 040.jpg (69.8 KB, 74 views)
Old 02-09-2016, 11:38 PM   #100
RalphM

Really looking good, ill bet 95% of the population will never know Henry didnt build it.
Are you going to cover the top with vinal as an original would be?
Old 02-09-2016, 11:50 PM   #101
GB SISSON

Not into spending big money for a vinyl top kit from some woodie outfit. What would a small town company use if they were located near a resort in Colorado in 1947 and a resort hotel ordered a cowl/chassis from ford and hired them to build a 'depot hack' to pick up their clientle at the railway station? I envision an army tarp stretched very neatly and carefully and perhaps many coats of black paint. I think maybe roll on bedliner brushed fore and aft. I doubt this would leak. We need to keep in mind it's not what 'Henry' did here, it's what a small time boat builder/coachworks/out of work gypsy wagon builder would have done to complete the task in 1947.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:44 AM   #102
Snouts out

You might use roll rubber roofing,painted with MP1 sealent.MP1 is flexible and won't leak!
Snouts out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:39 AM   #103
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snouts out View Post
You might use roll rubber roofing,painted with MP1 sealent.MP1 is flexible and won't leak!
Thanks for the tip. Does the roll rubber roofing have a trade name I could look up? Have you used it before and would it conform to the compound curve on the rear corners? I predict that will be tough area to get right no matter what I use. Sorry if I sound like I'm always being super cheap on this build, but I'm still playing catch-up from the long recession in the building trades. It's better than it was five years ago, but not like what I'd gotten used to. Someone recently made a comment about his cars being 'rolling IRAs'. I liked that. Well, it's 4:30, coffee's on and it's out to work on the woodie til my employee shows up at 8 and reminds me it's time to go to work.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:44 AM   #104
mhsprecher

GB, the vinyl stuff might not be that expensive, compared to canvas and the coatings necessary to make it waterproof. The compound curves will be tough regardless of what material you use. Great project.

Last edited by mhsprecher; 02-13-2016 at 04:59 PM. Reason: For coherence.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:48 AM   #105
Bill

I've been following this thread with interest and commend your obvious skills! I purchased my top material from Ed Clarke the "woodieologist" in Larchmont NY 35 years ago. It is short grained vinyl over canvas similar to a Model A. I installed it per his instructions and it still fits tight as a drum today and still looks new after 50K miles in all kinds of weather. My point is explore the options but keep in mind that the top will show as much as the finish paint. Check Lebaron/Bonney they still stock the material. Sometimes you got to stretch a little...JMHO Bill
Old 02-10-2016, 10:25 AM   #106
GB SISSON

Thanks Bill. I know there are areas where I can stretch a buck and some I can't. I bought nice Eastern maple for the frame even though I was tempted to use the softer and far less costly Western big leaf maple which is sometimes available from small local mills. I'm glad I spent the money now that time has passed. Roof material just might be the same.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:23 PM   #107
flatford8

Goodyear makes roofing rubber. I delivered urethane insulation for 20 yrs. it was used commercial buildings, mostly flat roofs. The rubber goes over it. I think it lasts 50 yrs right out in the sun. If you want to try it I have some pieces I think are big enough for your roof. Shipping is on me. If I ever get to Washington..... Take me for a ride.... MARK
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:05 PM   #108
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
Goodyear makes roofing rubber. I delivered urethane insulation for 20 yrs. it was used commercial buildings, mostly flat roofs. The rubber goes over it. I think it lasts 50 yrs right out in the sun. If you want to try it I have some pieces I think are big enough for your roof. Shipping is on me. If I ever get to Washington..... Take me for a ride.... MARK
Wow! I just ran in from the shop to check email. I'll pm you at lunch. How thick is it?
Old 02-10-2016, 01:53 PM   #109
38bill

Loving your project. Cant wait to see how you handle the doors and windows.

PS: I like your idea of a canvas roof. I recently saw a restoration on a train car and that's just what they used. Whatever you go with I think you need to use something with a texture. The rubber roofing that I have used before just wouldn't look right IMO.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:11 PM   #110
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38bill View Post
Loving your project. Cant wait to see how you handle the doors and windows.

PS: I like your idea of a canvas roof. I recently saw a restoration on a train car and that's just what they used. Whatever you go with I think you need to use something with a texture. The rubber roofing that I have used before just wouldn't look right IMO.
If it would adhere, I could coat the rubber with bedliner applied with a stiff brush for the fore and aft texture. We know that whatever they use to glue the seams on this stuff will stick to it. I'd love to play with a scrap of it before shipping. I am open to helpful comments on my project.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:12 PM   #111
B-O-B

Hi GB;
Been following your adventures from the git go. Not sure you would be interested but I have a 47 truck V8 & tranny 3 speed matching numbers that I would be willing to let go. The bad is the block has a crack about a 1" long 1/2 way down # 8 cylinder. I had the machine shop mag & pressure test it. They epoxied the crack for the test & it tested ok. This is torn down & cleaned & will need a rebuild & bore job. Not sure you want to fool with it but thought I would let you know. The other bad is I'm in Az now & won't be up to Oregon till some time in April. Should you want pics send me an E mail @ [email]rdiegan@gmail.com. I also have a 53 merc block & 4" crank.They both(47 V8 & 53merc) have std. bore now & I have about $1100+, invested in both engines & tranny & machine shop the machine shop bill was $350. Lots of parts like flywheels,starter & timing covers,pans,clutch & PPlate,generater,intakes,& waterpumps&heads &stock cams & lifters. pretty much two complete engines & one tranny.
Beings that I'm 82+ I doubt that I will ever get to use them so they are going bye,bye.

Regards, B-O-B

Last edited by B-O-B; 02-10-2016 at 03:31 PM. Reason: private message
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:44 PM   #112
GB SISSON

Thanks. I have a couple of decent engines that I'm working on, but do need parts and pieces and a 3 speed 1/2 ton truck tranny and driveline. I plan to go to the Portland swap meet in April. I went there 25 years ago, but have only been to two swap meets since. Raised 4 kids and weekends were always sports etc. They are all grown now and all live in Seattle, so now I can do what I want, within reason!
Old 02-11-2016, 10:28 AM   #113
38bill

I actually have some EPDM rubber roofing and some Herculiner textured bed liner. I could try it out for you to see if it sticks. Just let me know.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:09 AM   #114
GB SISSON

Quote:
I actually have some EPDM rubber roofing and some Herculiner textured bed liner. I could try it out for you to see if it sticks. Just let me know.
I'd like that. I picture applying with a course brush. Maybe even follow up with careful 'grain' strokes with an old fashioned whisk broom. Or rolling it on and chasing with the whisk broom. I'm hoping the material isn't too thick. I plan on holding it down on the edges with a rain gutter. I have seen it in aluminum for 'canned ham' travel trailers. Sometimes called J metal. It would get painted black. When I first started this project by sawing the pickup's cab off, I was being pretty casual about the details, but after so much labor and trial and error design, I have become more uptight about the finished product. I really want it to look as if it were built in the 40s. If I went with the rubber and it's quite thick then it might not need padding or anything under it. Not too familiar with soft tops. Thanks again for all the help! Edit: Maybe a scuffing with 80 grit before the bed liner. Like we do before patching a tube. Nothing like a little bit of 'tooth' for adhesion.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:03 PM   #115
38bill

I'll give it a try and get back to you. The Hurculiner has rubber partials in it so as its rolled on it leaves a nice stippled finish. I'm pretty sure that you would need some kind of backer to prevent the roof stringers from telescoping through. Here's a photo of a ice fishing house I built. The rubber membrane is glued down with contact cement to a 1/4" plywood sheathing. The edges are wrapped over and stapled to the side and the cut edge is covered with an alum trim. My roofing came with seams in it every 10'.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-11-2016, 12:31 PM   #116
sidevalve8ba

How wide would the material need to be to cover the roof?
sidevalve8ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:10 PM   #117
Bill

Just measured my roof covering for width. It's 66" wide. From LeBaron/Bonney they still stock it. About $25./yd plus shipping!Took a pic now lets see if I can upload it...Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1114.jpg (71.8 KB, 68 views)
Old 02-11-2016, 03:41 PM   #118
GB SISSON

I just measured my roof. 63 1/2" gutter to gutter. So 66" would give just barely enough to hold onto for stretching. Working alone the length was hard to measure, but 128" would be ample. Got a start on welding up my steel pillar to roof stringer brackets this morning. I'm waiting for the 3m 5200 sealant to cure on the driver's side maple frame before fitting the last sections of maple in place. Never a dull moment around here.....
Old 02-12-2016, 05:41 AM   #119
rustynutz

Most common rubber membrane is .060 thickness although .040 is available.
rustynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:32 PM   #120
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynutz View Post
Most common rubber membrane is .060 thickness although .040 is available.
Mark said the material is about look and feel of an inner tube but a lot thicker. I just held my digital caliper at .060 and .040 and it looks about like a truck inner tube in thickness. Therefore the thickness would be about right. It's outside of the box and would need some texture to it, but everything I do seems to be outside the box. At 25 per yard, the Lebarron Bonney material would be about 200 bucks and that won't break the bank and it's a known commodity. I might clean a square of innertube material and try some preliminary tests. In the meantime I made some progress on my steel brackets last night and this morning. Maybe finish the gusseted brace at the B pillar after work. It will get a curved triangular gusset similar to one I see in that location on a photo of a '47 station wagon woodie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (54.6 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 013.jpg (55.0 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 022.jpg (44.9 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 049.jpg (53.3 KB, 64 views)
Old 02-13-2016, 01:17 PM   #121
38bill

OK, I tried a piece of 45 mil EDPM roofing membrane. The piece was cleaned with lacquer thinner before it was coated with a texture. It looked good but after it was dry I could scrap the texture off of the membrane. I think with the quality of your wood working you need to bite the bullet and go with something that you know will last.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rubber membrane.jpg (101.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 02-13-2016, 02:19 PM   #122
Bill

Here is a pic of the upper right rear pillar steel bracket. You'll note it ties in the rear header, upper right roof rail as well as the upper rear side window rail. Make sense? It reduces any lateral movement by tying in the rear upper header. Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1121.jpg (55.6 KB, 73 views)
Old 02-13-2016, 03:06 PM   #123
GB SISSON

Quote:
OK, I tried a piece of 45 mil EDPM roofing membrane. The piece was cleaned with lacquer thinner before it was coated with a texture. It looked good but after it was dry I could scrap the texture off of the membrane. I think with the quality of your wood working you need to bite the bullet and go with something that you know will last.
Hmmmm, well it was a good idea and a really generous offer from Mark, but it looks like it makes sense to buy the real thing. I probably won't buy it until spring as the overhead lights in my shop add just some extra light through the roof for now and it will stay indoors anyway. Thanks for taking the time to do the experiment, that was very nice of you.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:18 PM   #124
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Here is a pic of the upper right rear pillar steel bracket. You'll note it ties in the rear header, upper right roof rail as well as the upper rear side window rail. Make sense? It reduces any lateral movement by tying in the rear upper header. Bill
With my design there isn't room for the lower loop, but I will for sure add the strap across to the rear header. Thanks for the picture! This is gonna seem odd, but I have never really even looked at a ford woodie before I started (or since). I have been dreaming of going to the Lemay antique car museum in Tacoma Wa. and am hoping they have one there. With the ferry and travel time it would be a 2 day trip. Meanwhile I just put away an 8ba that was on my run stand. After repeated running it has better and more even compression numbers. Turns out it's not quite good enough for the woodie, but would be great for the junkyard dog wrecker I want to build from one of the engineless tonners I have. My plan for the woodie is to build up a 59ab with the 3 1/16" bore block I have. It's the one I showed the pictures of the .060 war surplus pistons in cosmoline. Ok, now down to the shop to finish the gussets in the B pillar bracket and add some ears onto the rear one. Thanks all of you for the help, kind words and encouragement.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:16 PM   #125
38bill

Quote:
Hmmmm, well it was a good idea and a really generous offer from Mark, but it looks like it makes sense to buy the real thing. I probably won't buy it until spring as the overhead lights in my shop add just some extra light through the roof for now and it will stay indoors anyway. Thanks for taking the time to do the experiment, that was very nice of you.
Least I could do. Some day I may be asking you for help. I have always thought a custom woody would be a unique, fun project. Sure wish you weren't so far away from me.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:51 AM   #126
GB SISSON

One year and 3 weeks ago I tried to drive to Parkers Prairie Minnesota to pick up my tonner panel truck. It was dead of winter and hair brained scheme seein's on how I had just went through open heart surgery 3 months before. I turned around half way in Bozeman, but I almost got to your neighborhood. I had it hauled by a trucker instead. He had to deal with your Minnesota winter, but he was a Montana gu and used to it. Got a lot done on the brackets, but then company stopped by and I had to quit and be sociable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg loaded pass better.jpg (80.8 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6219.jpg (60.2 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6231.jpg (26.2 KB, 99 views)
Old 02-14-2016, 11:03 PM   #127
GB SISSON

Quote:
Well Bill, I tied the rear header in. I'm glad I'm not trying to build an exact '47 station wagon replica as those rear corner brackets would be a tough job. The knee braces were hard enough.... All I could find around here for 1/4" plate was diamond plate so I ground off the tread pattern. Right now the brackets are just stuck on with some drywall screws, but there will be large oval head wood screws and some thru-bolts with blind nuts as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brackets completed 034.jpg (64.0 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg brackets completed 039.jpg (37.1 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg brackets completed 053.jpg (59.8 KB, 74 views)
Old 02-24-2016, 01:18 AM   #128
GB SISSON

Well Mark, Your rubber roof samples arrived today. Thanks so very much. I have a couple of things I want to try with them such as black sikaflex polyurethane marine sealant as a texture. There is very little that stuff won't adhere to with a death grip. Haven't done much on the wood body because the weather is dry for a while and I'm working on an engine outdoors. Back onto the woodwork when the rain returns.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:05 AM   #129
flatford8

Your welcome. If you decide you want to use it let me know. The suggestion of the Lebaron Bonney stuff may make the job easier. But it doesn't seem like you take the easy way out....LOL.... Im gonna keep watching the progress...... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
Old 02-24-2016, 11:10 AM   #130
GB SISSON

Quote:
Is this slotted slider the stock piece for holding up the rear window? It looks like a Model A windshield piece. Does it have the model A's notch?
Old 02-24-2016, 11:13 AM   #131
GB SISSON

Quote:
Is this slotted slider the stock piece for holding up the rear window? It looks like a Model A windshield piece. Does it have the model A's notch? Upon further inspection I see no notch, so if this is the correct holder, then maybe finding a couple model A pieces would be even better. Who knows, maybe gravity would drop them into place.....
Old 02-24-2016, 12:34 PM   #132
Bill

Those are the stock supports and similar to Model A. I think C&G of Escondido Ca. repro them. Actually if you check their online catalogue they stock a lot of woodie related stuff. Good people to deal with. Check it out! I see you are still leaning toward an upper and lower tailgate. Actually the access to the rear area of a woodie is awkward thru the upper/lower tailgate configuration, ask the man who owns one! Reconsider making a hatch. Millions of minivans later it's the way to go but don't let me tell you what to do it's your baby... Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1126.jpg (78.3 KB, 41 views)
Old 02-24-2016, 03:28 PM   #133
GB SISSON

Bill, I DO see the problem. The tailgate is really tall and when down it's a lot to reach across. Leaning towards mechanical and sheet metal work for a while so I will have time to work up some mock-ups and decide.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:48 PM   #134
Mtn Wudy

GB, been following from the start and am in awe of your nerve and skills. I vote for double doors on the rear, (like your panel), after all it is a truck. Keep up the great work.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:02 AM   #135
willowbilly3

Maybe you could come up with a 2 way tailgate like those 60s wagons. Did you decide on top material? How about using tyvek or typar and coating it with that stuff they sell on late night tv where they put a screen bottom in a boat
Old 02-25-2016, 12:44 AM   #136
GB SISSON

I record all these ideas in my brain for when I get back to working on the truck's body. I should be excited that we now have 11 jobs at one stage or another in the wood shop. 2 are big cabinet jobs with contractors schedules involved, another job we have means two more trips to Seattle, rest are tables, desks and other furniture. Sheesh, how's a guy gonna sneak away to work on his own projects?
Old 02-25-2016, 08:54 AM   #137
Bill

Glad you are busy at your day job even if it gets in the way of your passion! Found a couple of pics of barn doors on a '52 panel woodie makeover at Wavecrest a few years ago. The truck is gorgeous! To keep the pot stirred a one piece hatch will minimize the exhaust fumes that find their way into the cab when you are driving. Their is no cat converter or O-2 sensor to scrub the fumes and the typical tailgate allows lots of fumes in as the stock weatherstrips are marginal at best. I find any time I go for a daytrip I have a headache and bloodshot eyes by days end! Doesn't stop me from going though!! Now go back to work and watch yer fingers...Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg General pics 384.jpg (51.6 KB, 30 views)
Old 02-25-2016, 11:05 AM   #138
GB SISSON

Talking Re: Truck based woody

Quote:
Glad you are busy at your day job even if it gets in the way of your passion! Found a couple of pics of barn doors on a '52 panel woodie makeover at Wavecrest a few years ago. The truck is gorgeous! To keep the pot stirred a one piece hatch will minimize the exhaust fumes that find their way into the cab when you are driving. Their is no cat converter or O-2 sensor to scrub the fumes and the typical tailgate allows lots of fumes in as the stock weatherstrips are marginal at best. I find any time I go for a daytrip I have a headache and bloodshot eyes by days end! Doesn't stop me from going though!! Now go back to work and watch yer fingers...Bill
I have a few fumers myself. Very obnoxious. The finger injuries are part of the elusive charm of woodworking. This was a few years back, but it helped me to get to know the nurse who became my wife. Sorry if you're eating breakfast....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg finger%20injury.jpg (30.5 KB, 62 views)
Old 02-25-2016, 01:06 PM   #139
RalphM

Ouch!
Old 02-29-2016, 11:11 PM   #140
GB SISSON

Well it's been a while. Today marks the beginning of high school baseball practice. My employee of 16 years is a coach and he leaves work at 2 in the spring time. After he's gone, I do a few things around the shop and gravity seems to take me down the hill to the 'lower shop' where the woodie is. In celebration I cleaned out the floor, which was a total mess, and built a temporary shelf to set stuff on so I can work towards door sills and flooring for the rear cargo and back seat area. Since my business centers around the use of salvaged and reclaimed lumber I have saved out a quantity of 1x4 douglas fir t&g flooring from an old school to use as the rear floor. I grabbed a couple of short pieces to see how it joined up to the rear tail pan (tail plank)...To plane it clean it will be about 5/8" thick. On the outside edge of the flooring, scribed around the fenders will be a 7/8" thick border piece down each side. This will be routed out underneath to cover the 3/8" steel angle brackets at the posts. After that I will construct thin plywood panels inside the body's sides which hide the screws and irregularities holding the panels in the woodie's framework. Stay tuned for tomorrow's after 2:00 report. The plan is to finish up the body sans doors and lift it off the chassis, install running gear and drivetrain, set it back on and shim permanently, then build and fit the wood doors and tailgate assemblies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jailbar door and cleanup 018.jpg (63.4 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg jailbar door and cleanup 008.jpg (64.7 KB, 57 views)
Old 03-01-2016, 09:04 AM   #141
Bill

Tailgate assemblies.. you meant assembly right....LOLOL Bill
Old 03-01-2016, 02:13 PM   #142
GB SISSON

Bill, I know, I know... you feel a one piece lift gate with gas shocks might seal better, and there's a good chance it would. To me the only reason a person owns, builds, drives a woodie (or any antique vehicle for that matter) is the romance of the whole experience. Let's face it. Modern cars work much better and are more comfortable and require far less maintenance. The more we make our old vehicles 'better', more of the original feel is lost. I do feel that with modern rubber weatherstripping and seals I can get a tight seal at the gates. We build a lot of custom entry door sets and double french doors on waterfront homes. Very important they don't leak any driving rain and salt spray as the owners are usually in Arizona or Hawaii for the winter and the wood floors will be ruined. My vision of this truck is the tailgate down, rear windows up, our old aluminum cooler on the tailgate
and it's a pita to reach in and load and unload everything across what looks like will be a huge tailgate. I'm hoping to address the exhaust fume issue, but I know already that the tailgate will be pretty horrible to use, but I won't have to look at the black, mini-van sourced gas shocks when I'm gazing upon my creation. We all adjust for what is important to us. Juice brakes on a model A.... Holy crap I'm starting to sound like some of the rants I see on forums. Really Bill, you have been a big supporter and this thing will never be anything original, but I just gotta have an old fashioned tailgate.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:35 PM   #143
flatford8

^^^^^ Well said^^^^^ Guys that I work with don't understand why I drive a 35 yr old truck everyday. I just smile and say" Driving it makes me smile". Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
Old 03-01-2016, 10:01 PM   #144
GB SISSON

I set the old cooler inside but haven't got a picture yet. Those that understand will understand.... But I ALSO understand Bill's headaches and light headeness from those awful flathead v8 exhaust fumes. When I drove the 38 tonner as my dd, cabinet shop delivery, every day vehicle, I once backed up to an 8000 sq ft waterfront home with 12 subcontractors trying to get their work done... Well my dual exhausts filled the house with the worst fumes ever and most of the crew went home with migranes.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg older trucks 019.jpg (63.8 KB, 58 views)
Old 03-01-2016, 11:27 PM   #145
Bill

Well GB I didn't want you to think I was takin' over your build I was throwin' out the one piece t-gate for what it was worth! Like I said in a previous post it's your baby. You are right gas prop rods (you could woodgrain them) do take away from the oldtimey look. I'm still supporting your build and will still offer my opinion as it comes together.Look forward to every post.. Bill
Old 03-02-2016, 12:00 AM   #146
GB SISSON

I love you man...
Old 03-02-2016, 01:56 AM   #147
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
I have a few fumers myself. Very obnoxious. The finger injuries are part of the elusive charm of woodworking. This was a few years back, but it helped me to get to know the nurse who became my wife. Sorry if you're eating breakfast....
GB out of every bad thing that happens comes the chance for something good and your "accident" certainly netted you a good prize. As a she's a nurse you now have her nearby should you by chance saw your hand off working on the woody (only joking). A mate of mine who's sixty and a builder told me some young "chippie" showed him his missing didget that he took off with a skill saw and proudly proclaimed that "he was a real builder now". He turned around and said to the youngster "No... real builders have all their body parts intact" .

The woody is looking fantastic. I 'm with you on keeping the tailgate 2 piece. With a hatch type door and gas struts it would only look like one of those "hot rod" wannabe woodies that are a bit of a rage....bluck!

Graeme

Old 03-02-2016, 08:39 AM   #148
flatford8

Im not trying to offer suggestions but could you make two swinging doors like a panel?....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
Old 03-02-2016, 11:53 AM   #149
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
Im not trying to offer suggestions but could you make two swinging doors like a panel?....Mark
I have thought about that too. Some years back when I had a big family our dd was a '79 toyota landcruiser fj55 station wagon. These had a tall, heavy tailgate with electric back window. All those runs to costco for groceries in heavy cardboard boxes to lift across the gate got really old. It was replaced by an ex forest service suburban and when I went shopping for a burb, the barn door version was at the top of my list. Still....... I really think the panel type doors won't seal any better than a tailgate properly weather stripped. I'm still leaning towards the tailgate. Not sure if the pun was intended or not.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:21 PM   #150
41panelmark

Quote:

Geeze that looks like no fun. As I told you before I lopped one off in October while showing a hit n miss. Luckily it was a clean chop and the surgeons were able to put it back together with no problems. Looks pretty good now.
41panelmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:09 PM   #151
GB SISSON

I have kept my fingers out of my 1912 stover 8 hp so far. A neighbor gave it to me in '88 with the head missing and every single part stuck. Funny they had overhead valves in 1912....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kingston canon old 001.jpg (54.2 KB, 84 views)
Old 03-03-2016, 09:54 PM   #152
GB SISSON

Got a couple pictures of my cooler. Frikken Ay It needs a tailgate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tim mark wine nite 018.jpg (55.6 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg tim mark wine nite 057.jpg (54.5 KB, 62 views)
Old 03-03-2016, 10:41 PM   #153
38bill

Yup, she needs a tail gate. With your skills I have no doubt that you can come up with one that will work great.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:31 AM   #154
GB SISSON

With work getting busier all the time, I have not done too much on the woodie this week. Yesterday while working on the mainland I picked up a driveshaft and transmission yoke for the 3 speed trans that Stu is shipping to me. This was a timely 50.00 CL find. In today's mail I got NORS valves and guides for the engine from Bob Selzam in New Jersey. They were all wrapped in dark brown waxed paper and smelled like pine tar. This afternoon after work I jacked up the front of the woodie, placed jack stands under the axle, pulled the front wheels and prepared to remove the front clip. I have decided not to build and fit the doors until the engine and transmission are installed. I have found that door gaps etc can change when the frame settles. The other reason is after it runs, I can drive it in and out of the shop on sunny days this spring. My shop is unheated and poorly lit. Gloomy, you might say, particularly in the winter weather of Western Washington. I guess what I'm saying is work is progressing, but the wood body isn't going to change a lot for a while as I continue to work on the mechanical aspects. I bought a tube of black sikaflex polyurethane marine sealant to test on my goodyear rubber roof samples in an attempt to give it an old fashioned roof texture. Stay tuned.....
Old 03-17-2016, 07:51 PM   #155
GB SISSON

The sun shone bright all day and I am almost caught up with the rush in my cabinet work so took a day off to work on the woodie. My engine work is stalled for a technical glitch so I decided to start mocking up doors. The rear doors are more simple so I started there. I have been using panel truck doors to set the curves and angles because they match the truck's roof line and I think it is the way to carry the belt line back aft for something that started as a truck. I learned a tremendous amount today in mocking up this door with scrap lumber. Good thing, as my supply of expensive Eastern maple won't last forever. It is quite humbling to do a bunch of math and measuring only to have the first attempt not line up with the back half and the front hinge. I reverted to a straight board, hell with the math and got a nice fair line down the length of the body. Now to copy this in hard maple and get the front doors to follow suit. All the doors I build will be a bit oversized so I can do a final fitting when the engine and transmission are buttoned up. It's a pretty gol dang fun project I gotta say.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woodie back door mockup 005.jpg (59.0 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg woodie back door mockup 050.jpg (73.3 KB, 603 views)
File Type: jpg woodie back door mockup 083.jpg (64.9 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg woodie back door mockup 097.jpg (58.9 KB, 86 views)
Old 03-17-2016, 08:33 PM   #156
mhsprecher

GB, if your shop does not have enough light, try using LEDs. Costco had florescent fixture-sized LEDs for a good price. A lot more light from the same number of fixtures. A little harsh, but I got used to it.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:47 PM   #157
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
GB, if your shop does not have enough light, try using LEDs. Costco had florescent fixture-sized LEDs for a good price. A lot more light from the same number of fixtures. A little harsh, but I got used to it.
You mean like flourescent tubes that roll into my ceiling fixtures but they are LEDs? That sounds like exactly what I need! And maybe stronger reading glasses. Thanks for that info!
Old 03-17-2016, 11:24 PM   #158
Fordors

I know they do market fluorescent replacement LED 4 foot tubes but reports I've read say some have good luck with them and some don't. Apparently it depends on the ballasts in your fixtures, some are hard on them and fry them quickly. The fixtures mhs mentioned are plug-in but I would think they could be hard wired if desired. A question for mhsprecher-how did you hook them up?
Old 03-18-2016, 10:59 AM   #159
mhsprecher

You can buy replacement bulbs or the whole fixture. I bought the fixtures from Costco and they were about the same as just buying the bulbs.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:33 PM   #160
AKCJ

Quote:
This is gonna seem odd, but I have never really even looked at a ford woodie before I started (or since). I have been dreaming of going to the Lemay antique car museum in Tacoma Wa. and am hoping they have one there. With the ferry and travel time it would be a 2 day trip. .

Just google Lemay car collection woodie - you will probably like what you see. We were lucky enough to visit there two years ago when we were down south. Well worth the time and price of admission. Good luck.
AKCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:58 PM   #161
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
This is gonna seem odd, but I have never really even looked at a ford woodie before I started (or since). I have been dreaming of going to the Lemay antique car museum in Tacoma Wa. and am hoping they have one there. With the ferry and travel time it would be a 2 day trip. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCJ View Post
Just google Lemay car collection woodie - you will probably like what you see. We were lucky enough to visit there two years ago when we were down south. Well worth the time and price of admission. Good luck.
When you do go to the LeMay Museum, make sure to see not only the one in downtown Tacoma, but also the one in Parkland at Marymount. It's not as fancy, but has a lot more of Harold's cars.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:50 PM   #162
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON

When you do go to the LeMay Museum, make sure to see not only the one in downtown Tacoma, but also the one in Parkland at Marymount. It's not as fancy, but has a lot more of Harold's cars.

Awesome! Now it's a 3 day trip. There's a big weekend coming up where my ex is throwing a bridal shower for our daughter. There will be hens from all over converging on the island. Maybe my youngest son and I can hit the Lemay for that weekend.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:52 PM   #163
FireEngineMike

Sam's has a choice of two 4' LED fixtures for around $35 each. The replacement LED tubes I saw on-line cost more than that for 2 "bulbs" and as Fordors said, there are some ballast issues. I bought 6 for my new garage, but it is not finished so they are still in the cartons. The one I am trying in my shop gives good light.
FireEngineMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:56 PM   #164
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEngineMike View Post
Sam's has a choice of two 4' LED fixtures for around $35 each. The replacement LED tubes I saw on-line cost more than that for 2 "bulbs" and as Fordors said, there are some ballast issues. I bought 6 for my new garage, but it is not finished so they are still in the cartons. The one I am trying in my shop gives good light.
How about the part where the shop is unheated. I know that has a lot to do with the performance and choice of the flourescent fixtures. Are LEDs dependant on heat?
Old 03-19-2016, 10:26 PM   #165
mhsprecher

My garage is unheated and the LEDs do fine there. Mine were around $35 each fixture at Costco.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:01 PM   #166
docrock

Awesome build. what size are the vertical styles on the door? How are you putting the doors and quarters together? Biscuits or Lap joints or Mortise? When build the actual doors will you make tracks for the glass?
Thanks for all the great pics
docrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:30 PM   #167
RalphM

Looking good GB!
Old 03-21-2016, 05:40 PM   #168
mercman from oz

Looking wood, I mean looking good. Can't wait until we see the finished product.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:47 PM   #169
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrock View Post
Awesome build. what size are the vertical styles on the door? How are you putting the doors and quarters together? Biscuits or Lap joints or Mortise? When build the actual doors will you make tracks for the glass?
Thanks for all the great pics
The rear quarters are mortise and tenon, but drawn together with star drive construction lags which stay in. The door stiles are constructed at 2 1/4" but lose some from fitting. I started mocking up the front doors from scrap lumber yesterday, but my pattern got really complex. The cowl's A pillar has quite a curved profile but the B pillar is straight and flat, just like a '40 ford wagon woodie. The transition from one to the other is certainly do-able and I see it time after time in all kinds of woodie pictures on the net. The tough part is getting a straight line which is paralell for flat glass that will bisect the front and rear door stiles at different angles, all the while leaving room inside this wood door to accomodate the channels , cranks , gears and whatever else resides in a door while maintaining a thickness that works for the cabin's interior. As fate would have it I received a roster from the national woodie club (which I joined one late night) in Saturday's mail and I found a member on a neighboring island who has 4 ford woodies and some that are apart. He and I will meet soon and look at door construction in great detail! In the meantime I have been working on the sheet metal for the front clip and that is pretty fun and exciting too!

Last edited by GB SISSON; 03-21-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:09 AM   #170
jerseyboy

GB,
Welcome to the Woodie Club! I was on a woodie thread on the HAMB, and we were discussing the very same front transition. Here is a pic of a custom A with the transition from cowl to B pillar.

Looks like they kept everything straight except the front door frame and the inner panel.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg -2.jpg (96.7 KB, 54 views)
Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another

Last edited by jerseyboy; 03-22-2016 at 09:11 AM. Reason: addtnl items
Old 03-22-2016, 11:39 AM   #171
Jungle Jalopy

Looks bitchin', GB!
Jungle Jalopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:52 PM   #172
GB SISSON

Every time I vow to put this thing on the back burner because work in the cabinet shop has gotten so busy and my own kitchen is all torn up and the lawn needs mowing already and I have company coming for the weekend and a hundred other reasons, I sneak out there and grab a few tools and go at it. So I have still been mocking up doors with scrap lumber and plywood. It's that darn transition from voluptious front cowl to the slab sided '40 ford woodie type body that is getting to me. I was able to make most of the transition by shaping the 2 x 5 1/2" bottom door rail as a twist and all the while keeping the line of the inset panel straight and in line with the rear stile of the door. Somewhere along the line when it stopped raining, I painted the hood that I sanded on Saturday. It's a three ring circus of 8ba outdoor rebuild, tin work and wood work. Oh, and then there's the real work during the weekdays that pays for all this madness, so I guess it's four rings....... I actually milled some of the parts for the actual doors in hard maple when I was set up to make the rear quarters, so I am pretty anxious to see what the real doors will look like. My big ol' lawn is about 8" high......
Old 03-23-2016, 09:05 PM   #173
Lawson Cox

Looking great. It will be an eye catcher for sure. Congratulations on your wood working abilities.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:28 AM   #174
jerseyboy

GB,

Looks great! What is the green are you using?

Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another

Old 03-29-2016, 07:20 PM   #175
RalphM

Getting better looking with each addition! Love it!
Old 04-01-2016, 02:08 PM   #176
ebruns1

Gary,

That's coming along great! I wanted to thank you for all the help answering my 1-ton Express tire and rim questions. Here's a photo of my favorite truck-based woody. I may follow your lead and do this on my 1946 tonner chassis, although it might be easier to do a full chassis swap with an old F-100! I'm not sure of the condition of my v8 flatty so maybe that will determine which way I'll go with it. Hopefully the attachment comes through...

Jim T
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IHC woody 4x4.jpg (136.1 KB, 52 views)
ebruns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:44 PM   #177
GB SISSON

I have seen pictures of that cornbinder. It is really beautiful and a great example of a truck based woodie. I almost went with a tonner as I have a few around here, but I was thinking more in terms of some weekend outings with my wife, and while she doesn't have a problem with my truck collecting she doesn't seem to enjoy trips in the tonner panel. It's quite noisy inside with the square cut gears and extremely truck like in all regards. This will be my first half ton in 44 years of owning many vintage ford trucks.... My 3 speed light duty transmission arrived at Fastenal and I picked it up on Tuesday. It seems to be in excellent shape and rolls through the gears smoothly. I also dug up some old door latches I had bought a while back at second hand store. I knew they would be perfect for this project. Maybe not the easiest to reach and unlatch from the inside of the vehicle, but the woodie parts specialty houses get 450.00 per latch for an original. These are new old stock and made in Chicago and they fit the 3/8 shaft for the ford handle. I have completed the door mock-ups and now I'm itchy to bust out the last of my 3x8 maple and get a start on the actual doors, but we are extremely busy in the shop. At least I have a rather complete 'Hollywood Set' side view to look down at from the cabinet shop. Thank you for all the nice comments I have received.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mt pickett wagon co 023.JPG (141.9 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg mt pickett wagon co 029.JPG (128.1 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg mt pickett wagon co 038.JPG (133.4 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg latches and jb door 001.JPG (125.6 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg latches and jb door 003.JPG (136.1 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg latches and jb door 004.JPG (126.9 KB, 56 views)
Old 04-01-2016, 02:55 PM   #178
truckdog62563

Anything is possible if you want to bad enough. Here are the before and after pictures of that magnificent IHC R140. Stu

Old 04-02-2016, 05:37 AM   #179
willowbilly3

Not to sidetrack the thread but wasn't that binder a one-off they built to squire around IH execs or something. Seems like I read about it in Hemmings a few years back.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:52 AM   #180
truckdog62563

Iirc there were two or three built for a safari or some such. This one was rebuilt based on measurements of one other. The pics I posted were from the original eBay for sale posting of it as found many years ago. I had to dig out an old thumb drive to retrieve the pics. Stu
Old 04-05-2016, 03:56 AM   #181
mhsprecher

GB,

There is an article on a 48 Dodge truck-based woodie in the latest issue of Vintage Truck magazine (vintagetruckmagazine.com). A nice magazine, if you are not already aware of it. The Dodge is located in Spokane, which is good and bad news for you in that it is in the same state, but about as far away as you can get and still be in Washington. Just thought I would pass that along.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:36 AM   #182
GB SISSON

Well it's 5am and I'm on my second cup of coffee. Seems the building trades recession is nearing an end here in the islands. We are working on a couple of mega homes at the same time and bracing for a two home family compound on one of the outer islands without ferry service. These large waterfront cabinet projects are often done in conjunction with huge Seattle based general contractors and architects and they take a lot out of me and my two or three man shop. I am the only one of the subcontractors that actually uses tools all day long and is a totally 'hands on' shop worker. Of course the deadlines are nearly impossible to maintain and all the huge amounts of paperwork fall upon me in the evenings after we're done for the day in the shop. In my typical long winded fashion I have just explained why progress on the wood wagon has come to a crawl. Well that and the fact that I have 4 grown kids that like to bring their families up to the old place they grew up on the weekends. Grandma and Grandpa DO enjoy that as many of you can attest. Now a huge wedding looms this summer with 200 out of town guests..... Since I can't sleep I figure I can get a couple hours in this morning before my guys show up at seven. My plan is to sort out the maple and do some proper layout on the doors now that I have all the angles worked out. Last Sunday afternoon after the kids headed for the ferry I got a few good hours in on sheet metal work. This was mostly tapping out dents, welding up cracks, dragging better pieces out of a storage shed and scrounging up good hood trim, but it felt great seeing some progress. For now I am priming with rustoleum red primer and using two colors of green in krylon rattle cans. Both are satin finish. One is 'camp green' and the other is 'Italian Olive'. My local Island Hardware doesn't stock them so I always pick some up when I'm 'over town'. When I run out of one I switch to the other. They are very similar. This may or may not be the final finish, but it looks presentable for now. Here's a couple pictures from Sunday. Oh great, now it's 5:30, gotta run.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sheet metal woodie 004.JPG (115.6 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg sheet metal woodie 012.JPG (170.1 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg sheet metal woodie 018.JPG (113.8 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg sheet metal woodie 019.JPG (161.8 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg kids on 38.jpg (92.1 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg kids on 59 011 (2).jpg (100.8 KB, 94 views)
Old 04-15-2016, 10:27 AM   #183
wga

GB - what's the story on the BSA?
Old 04-15-2016, 11:32 AM   #184
Bill

In an earlier post on this thread I mentioned to get ready to cash in yours and the wife's 401K. Yer provin there's more than one way to skin a cat!! Hang in there GB... Bill SNOW here today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07876.jpg (88.7 KB, 34 views)
Old 04-15-2016, 01:57 PM   #185
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by wga View Post
GB - what's the story on the BSA?
I snuck in a ride since the sun was out in Western Washington. I had a couple of 441 Victore back in the late 60, early 70s. Got divorced in '99 and that was the first thing I went shopping for. I keep it in tune and it usually starts on the first kick. There IS a technique. Getting back to bikes after 30 some odd years is a bit daunting, but not really any traffic in the islands. Just Tons of deer....
Old 04-15-2016, 02:06 PM   #186
GB SISSON

Quote:
In an earlier post on this thread I mentioned to get ready to cash in yours and the wife's 401K. Yer provin there's more than one way to skin a cat!! Hang in there GB... Bill SNOW here today

Lots of folks here have been very generous with extra parts, even including shipping. Really quite amazing what has been offered to me. I also never throw anything away so I have been able to keep the cash outflow to a minimum using old parts in good condition. Luckily I have two crack free blocks to overhaul out in front of the woodie on sunny days off. So far the biggest expense has been the 3" maple, but I bought it along with a bunch of other cabinet lumber and I never looked at the invoice. When my monthly bill came from my lumber supplier I just wrote them a check like I do every month. I guess I just didn't want or need to know what part of the check was my maple.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:12 PM   #187
Graeme / New Zealand

What model BSA GB? I've always had a thing for the A65 Lightning since I saw one back in the early 70's when in high school. A 500 Goldie single is cool and you can't beat the sound of a rocket 3 with the ray gun mufflers..

the truck is coming on cool as well. I hope you are going to paint the jail bars and hood side trim. I like them better than the chrome jobs you see some people do.

Graeme

Old 04-15-2016, 05:20 PM   #188
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme / New Zealand View Post
What model BSA GB? I've always had a thing for the A65 Lightning since I saw one back in the early 70's when in high school. A 500 Goldie single is cool and you can't beat the sound of a rocket 3 with the ray gun mufflers..

the truck is coming on cool as well. I hope you are going to paint the jail bars and hood side trim. I like them better than the chrome jobs you see some people do.

Graeme
If you click on the picture above on the upper right, I had just installed the hood spear on that side. They were both in rough shape but solid. 80 grit sandpaper, rustoleum rusty metal primer then topcoated with my recipe for 'sun bleached flat tacoma cream'. Rustoleum flat white enamel and 'new caterpillar yellow' from a napa rattle can. Mix up in a tuna can and apply with a soft bristle brush. I have a great collection of grill bars saved for this project. Most have never been hit so they are for the woodie wagon. When you collect jailbar trucks you find out how awesome it is to find straight bars. When they are kinked I have taught myself to saw across the kink with an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel, bend the front surface into a fair curve, vice grip a stiff bar of copper to the inside leg and weld up the saw kerf. The metal is too stretched to just bend back to straight. Yes, all the trim will be tacoma cream. Some of you have seen the video a Hollywood cinematographer made for me about my tonner panel. It has some footage about this tacoma cream thing. He has a summer home on the island and I built new cabinets for him. He wanted to do a video in thanks so he did. It isn't on youtube, but something called 'vimeo'. He named it 'truck detail string out'. It's about 5 minutes and I gotta say he did a nice job....
Old 04-15-2016, 05:55 PM   #189
wga

Old 04-15-2016, 06:34 PM   #190